Software
Houzz Logo Print
john_c_mcd1967

Nancy Kerrigan Wheaties box??

8 years ago

I just bought a Wheaties box with Nancy Kerrigan on the front in a plastic encased protector for a couple of bucks at a yard sale. Anyone ever hear of her on a box of wheaties?

Comments (24)

  • 8 years ago

    I suspect it's a fake....or VERY VERY valuable.
    https://m.facebook.com/collectorwiz/posts/1272738322815003

  • 8 years ago

    There doesn't seem to be any reference anywhere to a Kerrigan Wheaties Box. Harding shows up. You should call General Mills. They should have the definitive list.

  • 8 years ago

    Oly read the link.... a Kerrigan box was made as a sample but never went into production.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The link says it's a Tonya Harding box that never went into production before the Kerrigan incident. The pic on the box is also Harding and not Kerrigan.

    "This is a sample Tonya Harding Wheaties box that was created before
    the infamous Nancy Kerrigan scandal that ended her figure skating
    career.

    The box never went into production."

  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    I will call General Mills

  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    they wentall out. It was worth $3 as a novelty regardless of authenticity


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Employees of General Mills can get Wheaties boxes with anyone on it that they want -- the company makes them for the employees (for a cost and I don't know how much) -- my DD is on one and we had her get one for my great nephew in his soccer uniform for his birthday one year, I would assume with what is printed on the bottom that perhaps an employee had this done for something. Nancy Kerrigan was in the 94 olympics -- why would she be on a box in 2009 -- that's old news! That's why I think it is perhaps an employee ordered box and with the date for some sort of fundraiser -- the blurb on the back says that there are seven around the auction site. And do not take it out of the plastic. It NEVER had cereal in it -- ! We asked DD to get one for a donation to a fundraiser in our town. It sold well -- EVERYONE wants to be on a Wheaties Box! What is it worth? I assume it's one of a kind -- perhaps to a figure skating collector it's worth big bucks!

  • 8 years ago

    Mea culpa....Oly you are right...Guess I don't know one skater from the other..


  • 8 years ago

    Thank you Martha, I think you are spot on. I will display it as a one of a kind treasure in my livingroom. Haha.

  • 8 years ago

    Only -- it is indeed Kerrigan on the box -- Tanya was blonde -- Kerrigan is a brunette.

  • 8 years ago

    I wish I knew the scenario in which this box cover was requested.


  • 8 years ago

    It's The Sports Museum in Boston. The Tradition is the name of their annual fundraiser. So these 7 boxes were requested I am sure from General Mills for their fundraiser in 2009 and Nancy Kerrigan was on one and I don't know who might have been on the others -- you might contact The Sports Museum for they might know. Where are you located? Seems odd for that to be at a garage sale for I would assume that it sold for "big bucks" at the fundraiser.

  • 8 years ago

    I am located in Attleboro MA, about 40 miles south of Boston. I actually bought it in Sharon at a huge consignment shop on their opening day.

  • 8 years ago

    Nobody knew what to make of it so I got it for $3.

  • 8 years ago

    Unless General Mills donated it, the Sports Museum paid way more than $3 for it and it may have been sold for BIG BUCKS to benefit the museum. I am sure someone bought it 9 years ago and eventually thought "why" and after languishing in a closet for years, it was put in stuff to be sold at consignment. You know how it is at silent auction fundraisers, you sometimes bid on things because a) no one else has or b) to get more money for the organization. And sometimes it backfires -- YOU get the stuff -- LOL! You're in the right area to have that turn up at a consignment shop. Now if it had been in my neck of the woods (SE Kansas) . . . well, that would have been different! You have a one of a kind treasure!

  • 8 years ago

    Martha, Linda and I were discussing the Wheaties box on her link, which is Harding and not Kerrigan. We were not discussing the box the OP posted.

  • 8 years ago

    I was confused Oly -- sorry!

  • 8 years ago

    Since Nancy is from Mass., it makes sense for her to be on a box for a fundraiser there.

    ingeorgia, I'm not sure saying Bruce is dead is quite the way Caitlin Jenner would put it.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm waiting on a response from the museum with information. I think they might have been donated for a cause with other boston athletes. Probably where people pay 1000% face value to help out the cause. You all have impressed me with your knowledge of this very unique situation. I wish there was at least ceriel in the box. Lol

  • 8 years ago

    bpathome..Bruce is no more, he is now Caitlin. Don't think Bruce could be much deader :)).

  • 8 years ago

    John -- there NEVER was cereal in that box! So you won't even find crumbs!

0
Sponsored
Whisler Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals
More Discussions