Software
Houzz Logo Print
katek009

pool table or no pool table?

8 years ago
We’re finishing our downstairs room - and have a large empty space that just seems to lend itself to a pool table.

Realistically we know it would not get a lot of use! But there isn’t anything else we need the space for functionally - we have bar seating, table for games and seating, couch, TV area. (And the toys are moving upstairs to the playroom !)

What else would we do with this space?

Comments (25)

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks - I should have mentioned we measured and have room!
  • 8 years ago

    Ping pong or foos ball table

  • 8 years ago
    Ping pong
  • 8 years ago

    A lot of people get a pool table and never use it. Then they get sick of it, but it hangs around for a long time as it is so hard to move.

  • 8 years ago

    How often is the room used? What does your family enjoy doing while indoors? Could you use an additional office space, exercise area, or a secondary kitchen?

    What about hobbies? Can you use the space as a craft room or sewing area?

    If you don't really use the basement, I would add another bedroom.

  • 8 years ago
    It will be more of an adult entertainment space - we have a family room that has a big craft and toy area upstairs and another bedroom that’s a playroom. We’ve got a lot of space so just trying to figure out how to fill this space.
  • 8 years ago
    A pool table will be a nice addition. You may need to adjust the lighting to accommodate the pool table.
    If you watch daytime tv (sports) you may want to put blinds or shades on the windows flanking the television.
  • 8 years ago
    I would move the dining/game table away from the wall, and add a coffee table and a couple small side tables for people to put their glasses and other items on.
  • 8 years ago

    Ping pong. Much easier to move, too.

  • 8 years ago

    You might be surprised at how much a pool table gets used. I was addicted to pool in college and the first home we built made room for one. It's a great place for teenage boys to hang out (if you anticipate having some of those). But ping pong is good too. ;-)


    I do note the room seems overly brown.

  • 8 years ago
    Consider a pool table with a separate ping pong top. Easily converts.
  • 8 years ago

    Poker table and a much bigger TV! And a few more TVs so you can watch sports properly!!

  • 8 years ago

    Our house came with the pool table, sticks and everything. I guess they didn't want to pay to move a heavy slate top pool table. We played twice on it in 4 years. It is used once in a while when we have a party. Oh, the grand babies love siting on it and rolling the balls around. But it does make a great large work table. I put on the cover and use it to spread out crafts, cut material, wrap presents, and paint items on it. I can do the same thing with a bingo size table. If you don't play pool I wouldn't get one. Once they are put up they can't be moved without being professionally leveled again. Maybe a poker/game table, pin ball machine or a dart board in that area.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    We specialize in game room design. A pool table is a great way to bring the family together. How much space do you have? Perhaps you can email us dimensions. (nygameroom@gmail.com)

    Have you ever played, or considered a shuffleboard table? This is the hottest game out right now, and there are so many different models available that can add some really nice flavor to the room. It can go right up against the wall, and you still can have room for a ping pong table, foosball table, or air hockey table as well. Another great option is a sit-down Classic Arcade with Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Frogger, and many more. (total of 60 Classic games in 1). Just a thought...

    Either way, we'd love to assist you. Best of luck, let us know if we can help ;)

  • 8 years ago
    I would not buy a pool table , not many people use it and you can't get rid of it or move it . I would just use it as a family room with a big tv, for entertaining , dancing , doing project ..art project , building project ..and hang some wonderful posters or family photos ...make it an entertainment place for fun gatherings ...
    And the empty space for exercise , dancing and playing .....constructing ...or get a large train set instead !
    How about storage areas ? Just have fun and use the space wisely !
  • 8 years ago
    Check to confirm you really have enough space to actually play pool. You need room on all sides of the table to allow for the cues to move freely. Just because there’s space for a table doesn’t mean there’s space to play.
  • 8 years ago

    i'm phobic about buying heavy items that are difficult to get rid of, even if i plan to use it every day. so, i'd not be the best judge i suppose.


    my new mantra, 'when i die i hope my kids only need to hire one 1 -800- GOT JUNK truck'. as opposed to the 4 the neighbor needed.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    We have international students at our house during the school year and between them and my husband our pool table is used almost every day.Imo when you were designing the space I would have put the bar and games table much further down and had a much larger media space that you will need as the kids grow older and you have 10 kids watching a movei or playing games . Now maybe use that area for another seating area with anothe T.V and headsets for playing games

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Lol ninigret.... I’m with you. My elderly neighbors’ 3 story house filled to the max with “treasures” has been sitting for almost a year since they left ( the wife is in assisted living & the poor hubby fell down a flight of stairs & died as a result :(. ). The son has never gotten up to the task of clearing everything out. I gave him the same suggestion your neighbors did. I’m a “ less is more “ person, especially when it comes to big, bulky things.

  • 8 years ago

    Jan Moyer has a great Houzz discussion about decluttering and getting rid of stuff!! I took her to heart and I have been purging ever since.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You could do a pool table, but make sure you have the room to play. Here is a game room we did that might interest you.

    Westlake Game Room · More Info

    Westlake Game Room · More Info

    Westlake Game Room · More Info

  • 8 years ago

    I know it's all personal and what you think you would get use, but I would love a room like this and would have a air hockey table. :)

  • 8 years ago

    I have a game room area in my finished basement and went back and forth on the decision for several years. A pool table, like some others stated above, is something that is sometimes not used. I could see it getting ignored if I had filled the space with the pool table. I had also considered a ping pong table, but again came to the conclusion it is something we would not use much.

    In the end, I decided to build a game table that can be used for cards as well as board games. The game table plans I used featured planks to close the table when it's not in use, as well as cup holders and pockets for cards / game pieces.