Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drsaj

How should I decorate these walls?

drsaj
6 years ago
There are 2 walls in my livingroom that need decorating and I need ideas, please. I think I'm burnt out with all the reno work going on. The first wall with the niche is the fireplace wall. Eventually we may reno this whole wall, but not until at least next year. The second really large wall is in the other side of the livingroom. We already have a sofa table behind the sectional and just enough space to walk comfortably between the sofa table and the large wall. Ideas?

Comments (82)

• Sandybean
    6 years ago
    I think the design service gave you great advise. I like the tables and if Grovers rendering is close, I think they will look great.
    I would suggest a fairly tall mirror with an interesting frame, resting on the mantel to hide the speaker, if that's not an issue for you.
  • PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

Lovely space. Antiqued mirror in niche or painting a darker or lighter hue of preferred color scheme to compliment the room with Antlers for interest and depth. One large or a grouping. Or figurine for lines and movement over the FP. Many options. Larger sofa table for balance but you have a good start. Best of Luck. Start with FP area then move to the larger wall area to harmonize.

• pelabell
    6 years ago

groveraxle - I love your ideas!!!! Could you take a look at my exterior question? I would absolutely love to see what you solutions can come up with! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-with-exterior-of-our-1980-florida-ranch-dsvw-vd~5298923

• drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you, Groveraxle. Your mock ups help me a lot. I like simple as well. Do you think the combined length of the 80" is long enough for the 120" sofa back?
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

What is the length of your current sofa table - 48??

• drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Shirlpp, the current length is 60".
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

I am visual too and need to see it. I am thinking that if you can find something that's 20" and put it next to your console and center it all behind the sofa, this might help determine if the two tables will suffice. Did the designers who recommended the table say putting two together would suffice?

• drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I assume the designer thinks two would suffice as she knew the size of the sofa. I like your idea about putting something else there that is 20" so that we can visualize it. I have an 19" ottoman that I'll place there for a picture and then I'll post it in just a bit.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here is the sofa with 80" behind it. I think it look fine. What do you think?
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Better photos? I can't get back far enough due to the wall. but everything is centered and there is 20" of sofa that can be seen on each end.
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Yes, 80" looks good.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

Yep - I agree. You have a winner.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you, Groveraxle and Shirlpp. Do you think it will good in the distressed black color it comes in? Also, what do you think of the designer's choice of vase colors for the niche? And do you think I should go with the round mirror for over the fireplace? She also gave me an option for a window pane mirror, but I didn't like it as much.
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

If those 3 vases that you're showing a little further up are what she recommended then no. I think you need something taller.

The mirror suggestion on the mantel is so....yawn!(wake me up)

• drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Shirlpp, she suggested that the tallest vase have those dried mountain laurel branches in it which would give it more height. I'll try to find some things the same height as the vases she recommended to see what that looks like. Do you have any specific mirror recommendations? I think the added framed art and candlesticks on the mantel will add to the interest. And what do you think about the distressed black for the sofa table?
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

I think the distressed black is fine for the sofa table. What about those vases that Groveraxle is showing further up. I think those would work.

Do you want a mirror over the fireplace? It is recommended that if you have one it should reflect something interesting. I don't have any specific recommendations.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, I like the vases Groveraxle Photoshopped in. Groveraxle, where can I find those to purchase?
  • PRO
    Arica L Munn LLC
    6 years ago
    Your home is gorgeous! Maybe one of these on the large wall would add some texture and contrast to tie in your neutrals and warm browns/tans. :)
  • flgrandma
    6 years ago

If you plan to demolish the fireplace wall in a year or so I wouldn’t do anything permanent like a mural. The first thing i’d Do is paint that large gold area to match the rest of the wall or gray to go with the decor in your room. I think a large painting with large objects could go very nicely there as a temporary fix. There were some nice examples in some of the comments.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    flgrandma, I believe the "large gold area" you are referring to is the niche. It is the same color as the walls, just darker in the photo because it's shadowed. I didn't have the niche light on in the photo.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I found the 3 white vases suggested by Groveraxle on Etsy. The tallest one is 16"-18". Tall enough? I'll check to see the height of the tallest one the designer recommended.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The tallest one suggested by the designer is 14", however if I added the dried Mountain Laurel branches she also suggested, that would give it more height than the white vases. I do like the contemporary look of the white vases.
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Darsaj, the vases I put on your mantel are made to order by Sara Paloma on etsy. I'm sure you can get them any height you want. Your designer has suggested "3 sizes of vases in the niche with some dried mountain laurel branches, a
    mirror over the fireplace, and 2 different sized candlesticks and 2
    sizes of framed art on the mantle." IMO, this is overkill. Your fireplace already has a lot of detail with the niche and curved walls. Keep it simple: three vases and one piece of art. I agree with shirlpp on the mirror: yawn.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Groveraxle, thank you for the info. I'll check to see if I can get the vases in taller sizes. I won't put a mirror over the FP because it wouldn't be refecting anything particularly interesting anyway. I'll look for some framed art as you suggested. Thanks, again!
  • PRO
    Derek Tarr Photography
    6 years ago

Regarding the colors on your back wall, IMO a vibrant color would nicely contrast your muted greys. Something abstract would be great there, but are there any particular subjects or themes that you would like to see on your walls?

• drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I decided I needed taller vases in the niche. I just found these as well as this inexpensive canvas art for over the fireplace. What do you all think? Should I keep some or all? And if I keep the canvas art, what should I put on the mantle? Candlesticks? Something else?
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oops! Here's the photo.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    And what should I do with the wall left of the niche? Something or nothing? I can happily cover those speakers!
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I put my fig plant on the empty wall. Yay or nay?
  • hiccup4
    6 years ago

I find it looks to busy with the fig plant.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    hiccup4, thank you for that feedback!
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    How about moving the small plant to that wall?
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The sofa table looked busy, too. I removed the lanterns from the bottom shelf.
  • hiccup4
    6 years ago

I think I would just leave that area and not draw attention to it. Let the vases and art draw you in.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I put the small plant back on the other side where it came from. Should I remove it altogether?
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

Yes to the vases and artwork. Maybe to the fig tree on the left - if you really feel that you need something there. However, if you put the fig tree there, then you don't need the small plant on the right.

• jpp221
    6 years ago
    Although this may not be an answer to what you’re asking, I must say, there’s a certain "go big or go home” quality to these glorious Chrysler building ocean liner art deco walls that must be embraced! Watch old Miami vice reruns, visit south beach, wrap your arms around it all and go!
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you, Shirlpp. Regarding the 2 sofa tables side-by-side, I'm just not keen on having the crack in the middle. You know?
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

As for the large blank wall opposite the fireplace wall, I like the gallery wall idea. Since my husband is into photography, we've decided to choose some of our favs for the wall the way Victoria Joan's post shows. Do you think black and white photos in brushed nickel or black frames would look good with my decor?

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Less is more"

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Black and white or sepia:

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

The sofa tables are so nice. Can you possibly find a woodworker to put them together for you? If not, then what are you going to do for sofa tables?

• PRO
    Derek Tarr Photography
    6 years ago

Personally I think some pop of color in that photo collage would be preferable

• N LC
    6 years ago
    I agree with Derek, if the walls were white the collage would be perfect, but with yellow walls I would go for color
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Groveraxle, I really like the size and layout of the gallery wall you created.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Shirlpp, that's an interesting idea. I just spoke with a custom furniture shop earlier today about the possibility of building a simple sofa table, but I will ask if they could modify the two tables as you suggested.
  • drsaj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Analsava, the walls are more tan than yellow. They come across as more yellow in the photos.
  • PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

Inspiration of art work with color over FP and tortoise shell mirror with one large vase. Gallery wall of art work on larger wall. Artwork is the statement piece and is very personal. Best of luck with fine tuning your beautiful space.

• drsaj
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Groveraxle, look what I found and I think they are a better scale. What do you think?