Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_kaczer

Does anyone grow cannabis??

Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This is a topic that hasn't been discussed on here. Seeds have come up, very late start this year. Anyone else?

Comments (37)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

Its not legal here unfortunately but I would like to hear about your progress. Are you hybridizing?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

Since it's not legal to grow pot in most of the U.S., I'm not sure that it's cool to go into detail in the Gardenweb. There are an enormous number of MJ websites online, right?

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

There are many many uses. I do not live in the US. I'm not into hybridizing but there is a group in the emerald triangle who are working on some things. Many interesting strains.

not to worry, I wouldn't know what an MJ website is or am I going into detail. I'll have to find an online community, thnx anyway

• User
    5 years ago

Try 420.com

• Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

I have grown it indoors and outside. It has been discussed before over in New England Gardening. I have noticed that it seems to be considered a very taboo subject here, so only a few members feel liberated enough to talk about it. The seedling stage is a critical time for cannabis. I have lost many wonderful strains when they were seedlings, and with high quality feminised seeds being so expensive! A really good book that will answer all your questions is The Cannabis Growers Bible by Jorge Cervantes. Best of luck. Can I be of any assistance? I would love to help. I decided to apply for medical. I hear Illinois is short staffed and the wait can be over 90 days. I was growing my own for a couple years, but my health is making it hard to continue. Also making cannabis concentrates requires the use of expensive equipment which I can't afford. I've made my own hashish using the bag collection in ice water method. I believe all mind altering plants were put on this Earth for a reason and they were intended to be used with intelligence and common sence and if you are truly open to believing it, they will also bring you closer to God and the Light and the Universe. What kind of seeds are you growing Matt?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

Have you made the Rich Simpson oil? I might have the name wrong. Anyway, that only needs a rice cooker and a few other things according to the UTUBE.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

Never heard of Rich Simpson oil, but there are all sorts of recipes for tinctures and cannabutter for baking brownies, cookies,whatever. Butane is often used to extract the pure resin, but it's very explosive and dangerous ,and after that process, a vacuum oven is needed to remove the butane toxins, and vacuum ovens cost thousands of dollars. I looked up Rick Simpson and learned that he was probably the first person to extract the cannabis resin using solvents. He was driven by the fact that he had skin cancer. His recipe doesn't call for any vacuum oven or other means of removing solvent toxins still present in the finished product, but Rick Simpson was using the oil only topically for the skin cancer. These days no one really calls it Rick Simpson oil. It's just simply called hash oil, or cannabis oil. New safer methods to make oil are emerging that leave no dangerous toxins, but that still require expensive equipment. Many have claimed their cancers were cured with the heavy use of oil. Matt, where did you start your seeds? They need darkness for germination. I wrap the seeds in moist paper towels, enclose them in two dinner plates,and then put them in a dark place. They germinate after three days. Sometimes 5 or 6 days. After germinating I use a pencil to make a hole deep enough to fit the seedling and I lightly cover it. I start mine under lights in a seed starting tray. I have never got any germination when I sowed outdoors but I think if you wanted to slightly bury your newly germinated seedlings outside they would get a quicker start, though I haven't tried this myself.

• User
    5 years ago

Have made various oils and tinctures...but I am basically old school spliff toker. Got Girl Scout Cookies, various Kush strains (inc my fave, lemon kush) and my banker WW (White Widow - an oldie but goodie flowering at the moment. No longer grow any of the various 'Cheese' strains - too whiffy.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

About 3 years ago I moved 3 plants outside after hardening off. They were a 50/50 cross between Malawi Gold and Highland Thai.The 2 most potent strains on the planet. Only one was female, but that plant was enormous and some of the best flower ever. I tried GSC a couple times,but always lost them as seedlings. I really love the various African strains with the red hairs.They are very uplifting and transcendental. I'm really into growing landrace strains. Have grownAcapulco Gold, Durbin Poison and would like to try others like Panama Red, Columbian Gold, ect,etc. Elections for governor are taking place in Illinois this year, and it's looking very positive that the state will legalize cannabis for recreational use in 2019.Once that happens I will feel safe enough to grow it outdoors again, which to me is so much more rewarding than growing indoors. I do love and spend a lot of time with all my other beautiful plants, my babies.I think some heart leaved zizia that I sowed is coming up. Just thought I'd share that Campanula knowing how intrigued you are with Apiacea.Hoping and praying the U.K. will fully legalize cannabis soon. Matt Z. Are you planning on growing your cannabis in a greenhouse, and if so,how do you plan on creating 12 hours of darkness for the flowering stage?

• User
    5 years ago

Me too, Jay...although there seems to be an informal 'understanding' in place where if you are only growing a few personal plants, the official response is to generally ignore us.

Had a little nostalgia moment with the mention of Jorge Cervantes - can see the 'bible' on my bookshelves from here.

My zizia failed to germinate (suspect fresh seeds are key) but I do have some really good melanoselinum decipiens (giant size) and lots of the annual ridolfia segetum (for that same golden look I had hoped to see with zizia).

• Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

Well, the the tide can't be turned back now. It's only a matter of time before cannabis is legal in all 50 states, so I think it's cool to discuss this on gardenweb, sorry rhizo. I look at the herbalist forum and see all the weird concoctions some of them are taking, and I know some of those plants have bad side effects, so if they can openly discuss these plants, why can't we discuss cannabis which has no dangerous side effects. The only reason they made it illegal in the first place was because the U.S. lawmakers at the time were racial and hated Mexicans. Campanula, the new zizias coming up now were sown last spring. I never noticed them last year, so I'm not exactly sure when it germinated. Maybe you might get latecomers. I sowed a few other natives, like Thaspium trifoliatum and Sweet Cicely, Myrris odorata. I need to go out and see what's cooking, and save some babies before any weeds get too high. To me all plants are equal and each is unique and beautiful in its own way. I don't see anything wrong with educating people a little bit about the cannabis plant. I'm sure some are interested in knowing more about it, and if they turned in to one of the many cannabis growing websites they would feel lost and confused, and would end up having more questions. I certainly wouldn't like seeing those types of conversations on gw. It just wouldn't feel right. I'm just treating the plant as just one of the millions of other plants we discuss and dissect on here every day. Peace and love y'all. Sultry, hibridising is kind of difficult. The 2 plants you are crossing can ruin the potency of any plants nearby because the male's pollen can travel for miles. You would need a separate airtight room in order to keep the plants for being crossed from contaminating the plants that are being grown the plants being harvestedhufor potent, resin filled flowertops. Matt you haven't posted an update. Just trying to have an open mind here.The OP never said why he was growing it.Could be for fiber or the nutritional seeds. They use to use it's natural fiber for all sorts of things until plastic showed up. There are no floating islands 3 times the size of France made out of cannabis fiber polluting the Pacific. Hope I didn't offend anyone by discussing this plant, I only want to spread love and happiness to everyone.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

Update, I now have a medical cannabis card and am now familiar with RSO! And the only thing I'm growing is flowers. Since this was first posted Canada and several states have become legal. Our new governor will legalise it in Illinois in 2019. I see this plant helping people every time I go to the dispensary. I think the home method for making oil required the use of chemicals like butane, which then have to be purged out in a vaccuum oven that cost thousands of dollars. The oil I get is processed using dry ice. It doesn't leave any toxins and the terpenes are preserved. It's too bad Matt never returned to join the conversation, he may have listened to Camps and went to 420.com, or some other unpleasant person scared him off.

• Uptown Gal
    4 years ago

But, you can still get lung cancer from smoking anything.

Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@Uptown Gal LOL no!

Here are a few of this years plants

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

What are they? How many plants are you growing. Illinois is legal now. That's good enough for me!

Original Author
    4 years ago

These are unknown seeds from a friend. I'm glad to hear that for you! I grow a bunch and then weed out the males usually. leaving me with 3 or 4 nice female plants.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

Did your friend breed plants to get his own seed, or were they from an accident? Are you just growing to smoke it, or do you make concentates? How long is your growing season? I haven't grown it in a long time. Growing it was a great experience, especially growing outdoors under the sun. I'll be growing it again, but there are so many other plants I want to grow too, and the quality of the legal stuff is the best. Your seedlings are nice looking. A plant being illegal, pretty ridiculous, isn't it?

• shana_lee29
    4 years ago

Well, I came looking 'cause I'm fixin' to. Medical grow of 5 plants for a patient in Illinois. Legal January 1, 2020. Where are the gardeners growing for the compassionate use of cannabis?

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

Shana, did you chicken out? It's ok, it's legal in Illinois now, and yes us patients do get to grow 5 plants if we want.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

I tried growing pot in my attic as a teenager, but my mom found my plants. She had to know those Playboy magazines were up there too, but she never said or did anything about those.

• shana_lee29
    4 years ago

Definately not chickening! I like to grow things and have a feller with MS, TBI, and arthritis to supply. I have 4-5 qualifying conditions, myself. He has the card. Just got my tent, yesterday.

Definately not chickening! Under the farm bill, we can have plants, just not THC till 1/1/20. I hope to have a plants on the verge on that day!!!!

• Encoupe Jas
    3 years ago

Of course Yes. This is both a means of relaxation and a good business

• shana_lee29
    3 years ago

I am enjoying the plants. They grow so quickly. I do not care for the smell, but I am growing for someone else's medical use. I can deal. Encoupe, it has been a very long time since original post! Happy growing.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

You can get advice here if you need it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/300538869557/

• shana_lee29
    3 years ago

I really do avoid any facebook cannabis grower groups or growing forums. Things get really obnoxious, offensive and profane pretty dependably.. One exception for the most part is the Growers Helping Growers group. That has been pretty tame.

Medical use is so important and necessary for some. It should be dignified, elevated and family friendly. I think there are reasons why discussions of cannabis growing aren't happening much at Houzz or Garden.org, both places where I would love to hear from other gardeners/growers of cannabis and other things. Neither site has a place for the "F" word, so far that I have found.

I am happy as today 5 Northern Lights x God Bud emerged and shed their hulls. Onward and upward. These plants are gratifying for their rapid growth and development. It's a shame that growing these plants isn't more celebrated among regular folks who like to play nice and keep it clean.

Mushrooms, the 'special' kind, have been recommended to my patient by a physician for microdosing. I want to do this, but I am terrified of contamination. I want someone to hold my hand and walk me through. I may look here for some resources for culinary mushrooms, to start. Just to dip my toes.

• docmom_gw
    3 years ago

I wish I could grow it, but as as physician, I hold a federal DEA license, so I have to wait until the federal government legalizes it, or risk losing my license. Maybe before I die?

• shana_lee29
    3 years ago

I think that growing Cannabis is very stressful starting out, because it's been illegal for so long, there's indoor considerations, and information just gets overcomplicated.

I'm on my fourth grow. I really stressed and obsessed too much, read too much, and over thought. I'm finally starting to relax. It's just so important for the patient. I made myself sick with worry.

It is wonderful to make his concentrate oil for a small fraction of the price of Illinois dispensary meds. The plants themselves can be very pretty and lush. The rapid growth spurts are so gratifying!

I had to do this on a very meager budget, but am rewarded well for the effort and expense.

Looking at flower development and trichomes through magnification is a kick.

It is hard to not look at these plants and to spend time with them. More than than any other house or garden plant that I have ever had.

Above are 2 plants that are 3 weeks old. They sprouted within 6 hours of each other. The larger is in a 7 gallon pot. The smaller in a 5. Weird little thing. The larger one already smells.

I hope this plant and growing it are freed up for everyone. Without plant count or size limit silliness.

(Looking at photo I can tell my temps have been a little high, and the am feed was needed. They are a little fussier than potherbs I've grown indoors under lights).

I infused sucralose he can put in morning coffee, and there are jars of macerating cannabis in my cupboards. I can't wait to learn more and find the plants that benefit him the most.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Apart from concerns involved with intentional hybridizing discussed on this thread based on what I have seen due to knowing a few people that were growing pot in the past the two main concerns are mite infestations indoors and regulating the light exposure outdoors. So that in the latter situation flowering is induced before it is too late in the season for the plants to stay healthy (as in free of mildew for instance).

The mites are predictable enough that a garden store I worked at during the 1980s was visited by a procession of youths never seen there the rest of the time ( = no conventional gardening interest at work) who always asked for the Temik systemic insecticide.

• shana_lee29
    3 years ago

I am still growing Cannabis. I have not had any problems, aside from minor pH issues. I forget to check pH when making changes to amounts if nutrients.

I grow from seed and keep a clean room. No pest issues. I imagine if I played with my plants outdoors and exposed the cannabis, I'd improve my chances for at least getting spider mites. It's always a shower and a change if clothes, usually pajamas, before I look in on them.

It is still not possible for me to go a day and not check the plants. Some of the 'strangeness' has worn off, there's plenty in jars, so now I can enjoy my last 3 plants and then take a break, if I can stand it.

We don't have a 'stable' of varieties for him yet. I will grow a few Haze plants, next. Maybe some Haze/Cheese.

Green Crack is well reported on for use with Parkinson's and dementia. It has helped here, with MS, for focus, energy, mood. This may be one for the stable.

West Cost OG has been beneficial for energy, planned exercise, spasticity in his right leg, and his gait is actually improved with use. This has more of a chance for the stable.

So much has changed for the better here. I won't do without cannabis in the home.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

When I grew my huge 50/50 Upland Thai, Malawi gold hybrid outside, I had absolutely no pest problems whatsoever. Another time when I put plants outside for awhile and then brought them back inside, I brought spider mites inside with them and they ruined that crop. So either the outside plant was so potent that it kept the bugs away, or when it was growing outside there were predators that kept the mite problems away. When I brought the outdoor plants inside the mite population exploded without their natural predators. I think eventually more people in Illinois will be growing it outside on their land. It's really stupid to make it legal to use, but not legal to grow. And yes leave the prices at black market levels to rake in even more tax dollars. It goes against everything that cannabis is about, like giving and sharing and helping everyone. At least it's legal to use here, unlike many other backward, conservative states.

Since my outdoor plant was 100% saliva, I started it indoors a couple months before planting it outside so it would be mature enough to produce buds before the cold weather killed it. If there are no differences between sativa and indica, then why do indica always bloom much sooner than sativa

https://www.insider.com/why-theres-no-difference-between-indica-and-sativa-marijuana-strains-2020-4?amp

• shana_lee29
    3 years ago

We are all going to have to learn our terpenes, just to get by. I do appreciate the simplification of Indica/Sativa/Hybrid, for starting out and for filtering for seed selection.

With all of the breeding and selling happening, Indica/Sativa/hybrid will mean less, I guess, and not provide a good direction to aim in for growers, most especially new growers. It's daunting enough, as is, when people are planning to grow indoors.

I would love to have a garden outside. Cannabis included. I'm not growing this Summer, to save on lighting and cooling costs. Growing is the sun is just a dream, right now.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

You can always grow the landscape strains if you want 100 percent sativa like Malawi gold or Durban Poison , or indica varieties like Afghani, Beldia and Ketama.

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

"Rachel Hunter" is a well-known spammer. Please flag.

• shana_lee29
    2 years ago

It's definitely cheaper for me to buy CBD and CBG flower/trim/shake.

I just grow 5 plants at a time, maximum. It does not pay me to grow a straight CBD plant, especially if I wait for the half price sales on bulk purchases.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

there is a little flag below every post.. flag it yourself if you wish

• sushipup2
    2 years ago

ken_adrian, it takes at least three users to flag a post and make it go away. One flag won't do it, and we used to think that 2 flags worked, but now it seems to require three. So that's why I ask others to pitch in and flag. I already flagged it, and so did others, so the spam is gone.