0
Find the right pro for your project

Salvia Coccinea

Greetings,

I have quite a few Salvia in my gardens, most of them are of the Coccinea family.

I've read where they freely hybridize, or mutate, but it's pretty cool to see in the first person.
I had the red and pink salvia for a year or two, the white variety I added last year. The purple one just showed up late last year.

• CA Kate z9

I also have two varieties of Hot Lips cross with others. I call this one "Kiss my Wips" (sic) in honor of something my DGD use to say. They are always white with baby pink lips. These photos show a darker pink then they actually are. One of the newer plants has very ruffled lips.

• Truth Inadvertising

It's neat to see. The pale guy next to the purple one ended up being red. Must be a separate plant.

• Jay 6a Chicago

The lavender coccinias are interesting. Never seen those offered. A very cool mutation. The family (genus) is Salvia. The species is coccinea. The different colors are cultivars or sports. I have the red coccineas, which the hummingbirds, and furry bumblebees love. Nice pictures ?

• Truth Inadvertising

If the purple one makes seeds, I'm gonna see what they produce.

• Truth Inadvertising

Just snapped these two pics...Red and Pink flowers on the plant?
    Sure looks like it to me.

• CA Kate z9

So cool!