Software
Houzz Logo Print
jasellyn

Help with Molding...or Not!!!

13 years ago
We have just had our absolutely beautiful Kraftmaid Canvas Maple cabinets installed. We had one oopsie, where the designer didn't realize our ceilings weren't 96" (we did tell him, but it was never documented), but we were able to fix the problem and keep our 39" cabinets by using our own crown molding to go around the entirety of the kitchen and family room...so that frustration was fixable.

But...the idiot designer also did not take our wall into consideration and instead of giving us a 12" cabinet along the top, he gave us a 15", so once the cabinets were installed, they went RIGHT up to the edge of the door opening (see photographs). I don't have time to do the whole thing over with and scream and shout until I get the new smaller cabinet in and installed (despite a lot of tears and frustration)--but I DESPERATELY NEED some design help in making this work...our countertop guy is coming Tuesday to template and as the counter is at the door, I need to figure this out ASAP!

My question to any kind person who would help, as I'm exhausted, frustrated and just generally sick of making decisions:

I intend to furr out the door way (it's 31.5" wide) with 2 2x4's which will make the opening approximately 27.5" wide. I intend to use a Victorian style door trim which can be adjusted to the size needed for the sides of the door (see http://thejoyofmoldings.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/victorian-farmhouse-porch-french-door-trim.jpg).

Is this a wise choice, or would you recommend a different way of trimming this door--OR would we be best to just drywall it and leave it as an opening?

Thank you thank you thank you!

Comments (2)