Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_russo71

cabinet hardware?

Julie Russo
5 years ago
Any suggestions on cabinet hardware? Absolutely can not replace cabinets right now so please don't suggest. Thanks for any input

Comments (9)

• Julie Russo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Later down the road that backsplash will get replaced before the cabinets so maybe I will just leave them
  • oic57
    5 years ago

Hi,

I'd change the hardware, and if you are up to it, you can gel stain your cabinets. I started with a very similar kitchen, and I did a refresh which I am very happy with. You can see before and after pictures in the post Is this oak. With a modest budget you can make significant changes. It does not have to be all or nothing.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Leave it all until you can afford to do it right. New pulls or even a new backsplash will not make those cabinets look any better. Find out what an Ikea kitchen would cost you and start saving.

• Stephanie Chatel
    5 years ago
    If you are wanting to freshen things up start with removing the wallpaper border and finding a paint color you like...maybe a pale blue or green.
  • barncatz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Boy, I agree too, that removing the border, new paint and new hardware can make enough of a difference to be worth the money spent. Right now your wall color is not doing the BS any favors. If you're leaving the tile, I'd also consider taking some grout paint and darkening the groutlines so that it has an intentionality to it.

Hardware - I''d look for something transitional - or farmhouse - in polished nickel or ORB. Something hefty to stand up to the wood, in your current sizes. Even the big box stores carry reasonable and attractive hardware. I found some transitional knobs at Rejuvenation on sale - so it can be worth ambling through some websites, too or ebay or etsy. These are on sale for $8 at Rejuvenation with free shipping today.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Agree with Barncatz

• oic57
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I like the knobs posted by Barncatz, but since you have handles with 2 holes, I would replace them with handles of the same size. If you are going to put stainless appliances, I’d use nickel handles to tie them together. This is what I did:

• Fori
    5 years ago

Do you have crisscrosses on your cabinet doors?? That is so cool.

Oic has a good point about using your existing holes. I think black or oil-rubbed bronze would be nice with your dark appliances and your exposed hinges. You probably don't want to mess with hinge changes, so staying in the bronzey-brassy family would allow you to ignore them. If you switch to chrome or nickel, they'd look wrong.

You can always spray paint your existing handles if you really want to be budget-conscious. I kind of like the style with the cabinets. I bet you're sick of them though and just want them GONE!