Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theoutrider

Zephirine Drouhin

So this is pretty cool...And a good example of how much of a beast Zephirine Drouhin is! That's one year difference.

Comments (32)

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Wow! Nice pup too!

TheOutrider-PA zone 6b thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    5 years ago

It’s beautiful, good job!

TheOutrider-PA zone 6b thanked Sara-Ann Z6B OK
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Another wow! Did doggy doody help grow Zeph? What a fabulous rose. And classy lattice. Diane

TheOutrider-PA zone 6b thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • Darren Harwood
    5 years ago

Wow!!!

TheOutrider-PA zone 6b thanked Darren Harwood
  • reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So beautiful! Is yours grafted? I have an own root going on its fourth summer and oh how I wish it would take off like yours has.

TheOutrider-PA zone 6b thanked reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
  • TheOutrider-PA zone 6b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's actually own root. I know a lot of people talk about how it's a BS magnet but mine is literally almost perfect with no spray at all and it's tucked in a corner of my yard that is part shade and doesn't have much air circulation either. I keep thinking maybe my luck will change with it but it seems to be very happy and I have no complaints at all about it.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Wow! It grew so much. Love your trellis/ lattice too. Absolutely beautiful :)

Jin

TheOutrider-PA zone 6b thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    So beautiful, it looks so lush! Does it smell as amazing as I hear it does? I love your pup too, this is how one of my cats helps me garden (excuse the boring slope...I'm slowly planting it with my cat Dude's help) He's obsessed with bags of soil that have been sitting in the sun...
  • modestgoddess z6 OH
    5 years ago

the dog and cat looks so happy

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    5 years ago

amazing growth for 1 year

TheOutrider-PA zone 6b thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • LPS (zone 7a)
    5 years ago

So beautiful! I planted 3 of these this summer and hope they take off!

TheOutrider-PA zone 6b thanked LPS (zone 7a)
  • madakatude6a
    5 years ago

Mine's a beast too. I didn't get flowers just yet but when I do I'll do the same comparison. The buds are there. That's an awesome trellis!

TheOutrider-PA zone 6b thanked madakatude6a
  • TheOutrider-PA zone 6b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone!

tiffandrew: so precious! And yes the fragrance can be smelled all over the yard when a breeze hits...it's heavenly! oh they "help" alright! the little one pictured likes to poop in the flower beds because God forbid the grass touch his belly lol and my big dog enjoys plowing through and sitting on all the young roses I plant.

• mrslinden
    5 years ago

Zephy year 2 from Home Depot.

• madakatude6a
    5 years ago

Here's my two year old Zephy...I'm training upright because I'd like her to produce flowers at the top that flow over the top of the fence -6ft. So the streetside looks cool.

• toolbelt68
    5 years ago

TheOutrider,
    May I suggest you install matching 3’ high posts (if they make them) about 10’ away from your lattice on each side, about a foot away from the present fence. Then run a wire/cable from one post to the next weaving it through the lattice. Next tie a cane or two along the wire on both sides. You will be amazed at the amount of roses that will be produced along those canes. Another Zefy at each post headed towards the lattice would also look great!

I have close to 60 ZDs.....

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Tool belt, have you ever posted a picture of that? 60 zd's! Wow!

• madakatude6a
    5 years ago

Yeah I wanna see as well

• Albert Dinsmore
    5 years ago

Hi, just put in two zd about a month ago, had a few blooms already is there any potential problems that I should be on the lookout for?

• madakatude6a
    5 years ago

Albert, although I try. Zephy is just prone to black spot. I have a time of it with my three and 10ft and would love to know what you do for BS toolbelt? I love zephy but could never make it prominent in my yard because of the BS and because the repeat flushes are not as full as the original.

• toolbelt68
    5 years ago

The only thing I do for any of my roses is plant them, water them, and clip out any dead canes. I don’t even worry about feeding them. Other than that I just sit back and enjoy them when they bloom. When they are not in bloom I do other things around the house to keep busy. In other words I treat them like a tree in the front lawn, well a little better as I do have a drip system in place to water them. Been doing that for years and I don’t loose any sleep. They have been here many ka-zillon years longer than we have.

Now don’t take that as a wise-a.. answer because it’s not intended as one. That is just what I do. The one thing I really like about the ZD’s is that they don’t have thorns.

@TheOutrider-PA, didn’t mean to take over your post.

• Albert Dinsmore
    5 years ago

Thank you so much,I like that they dont have thorns and are somewhat shade tolerant im told

• Albert Dinsmore
    5 years ago

Thank you for the information madakatude I have no roses other than a few knockout which are pretty much trouble free by the way just saw the new color that just came out it was very nice. I also notice that any reblooming plant is never as good the second time

• madakatude6a
    5 years ago

Albert what new color?

• Albert Dinsmore
    5 years ago

Coral, very pretty

• TheOutrider-PA zone 6b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the advice toolbelt. We are moving a in a few months so this beast and its care will be left up to the new owners buying our house. ;-) hope they enjoy her as I have!

• toolbelt68
    5 years ago

When you get all settled make sure you plant a ZD......

• Stopandsm NJ
    2 years ago

That's it! I'm definitely going to try growing this rose after seeing this post. It's so nice to see photos of the whole plant and especially showing the growth possibility over a timeframe. I've been reading about the early bloom, great fragrance of Zephirine Drouhin and the possibility of a repeat. Maybe it can be grown with another climber that can sort of take over if Zephirine Drouhin starts to get blackspot/need pruning back?

PS That adorable little dog napping there is one of the sweetest pictures I've ever seen. The post is 3 years old but I just had to gush! And Tiffandrew that kitty on the bag is both hilarious and adorable too!!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

Thanks very much TheOutrider and folks! Your pictures of comparison is encouraging! Nice to see Zephirine D grows fast and well.

I bought a band size ZD in June. it has grown a lot. I think it has reached 3-4 feet. I started trainint it to a railing of the side porch, and some lateral grow has shown up

I hope next year ZD will produce some blooms. I do have a qustion. A lot if sites list this rose as repeat bloomer. But a lot of people in the forum seem to treat it as one time bloomer. I am wondering how yours are doing as repeating?

• rosecanadian
    last year

Wow! This rose grows huge (as seen in the pictures)!!! I bought one last year and I'm growing it in a pot here in zone 3b. We'll see how it does next year. :) :)

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year

I was never a huge fan of ZD, but if she attracts such cute puppies under her she’d be worth a second look!