0

pavement rose ID

mary_rockland

Hi,

I purchased a "Snowy Pavement" rose that was deep pink/purple. There were several with the same label stapled to them so obviously it was done at the originating nursery. Has anyone had this experience with this rose? I will take a photo when new blooms form, but does anyone have an idea which pavement rose it is ?

• mary_rockland

I should correct this. The name has no Y. It is Snow Pavement with the photo of a white rose on the tag.

• mad_gallica

Sure it isn't Showy Pavement?

mary_rockland thanked mad_gallica
  • Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA

Mary,

It's probably the mauve/rose-pink colored hybrid rugosa, Showy Pavement.

The tag shows Snow Pavement in the photo on it, with the words Snow Pavement, right? It is mis-tagged. The error is understandable because of the Snow/Showy word similarity.

There are so many 'Pavement Series,' hybrid rugosas that came out from Germany in the 80's. When they hit the US market, the 'pavement,' name was often changed to make them more understandable in English, thus more marketable here, like Showy Pavement to Rokoko. Since we understand pavement to mean a cement or asphalt driving surface, not the German meaning of 'pavement,' which essentially means 'carpeting,' a carpeting, landscape rose, not one to grow near or in a pavement, the names were changed. Evidently now, the original German names prevail.

Too bad it is not Snow Pavement which is one of my favorite three hybrid rugosas: Snow Pavement (aka. Schnee Koppe, German, Snow Carpet, English); Roseraie de L' Hay; and Henry Hudson.

I was a hybrid rugosa NUT a while back...trialed about 30 varieties. The above three were the best, IMHO.

Snow Pavement is a rarity among hybrid rugosas of that time, having cupped, better organized, more refined blooms, not raggedly sloppy like the blooms of so many hybrid rugosas. The color is the palest mauve/lavender overlay on white, very nice. The unopen buds are light pink/mauve.

I never grew Showy Pavement, aka. Rokoko.

Moses

mary_rockland thanked Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • mary_rockland

I had considered that it was Showy Pavement, as you both say it seems a logical error to do several times in the same shipment to the same store. I would compare the color mine flowered to the deep rich pink/purple similar to Hansa, but I've never seen Showy Pavement in person. I did purchase Snow Pavement last year at great discount in a nearly dead condition as I'd heard such good things about it. I was well aware that the one I was purchasing this year was not white as there was a deep colored bloom on it. As I've heard such good things about Snow Pavement I figured I'd take a chance on whatever "pavement" this turned out to be. I guess time will tell.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I love Snow Pavement and have a baby here. I loved it in Alaska.

mary_rockland thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • mary_rockland

I must admit it was not as purple a shade as Hansa. It was deep but more of a vivid pink tone. Looks like I can look forward to the Snow Pavement once it bounces back.. Hoping these darlings don't spread too much, but I realize sometimes that sort of "exuberance" is part of the price of hardiness.

• Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA

Mary,

Hybrid rugosas are usually colonial, not single shrubs. If you get one grafted, and plant the bud union at soil level, the scion has a harder time sending out underground runners. It is more prone to stay put and behave like a shrub.

Moses

• Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA

Mary,

If you like Hansa, you will love Roseraie de L'Hay. Its flower is prettier: bigger with more petals, blooms more heavily and more often, and is a bit lighter, brighter colored.

Moses

• barbarag_happy

Moses I'm with you! I had a hedge of Roseraie de l'Hay in my first garden in SE Ohio. With very little pruning the bushes assumed a nice, shrubby form. Not so with Hansa, which I found would become awkward and leggy.

Same thing with Sarah van Fleet; at least my attempt at a hedge of her was not successful.

I pity whoever bought that place and had to deal with those two hedges!

• mary_rockland

I actually prefer brighter pinks like Morden Centennial, but want some big solid shrubs. I've had Morden for 20 years and she rarely reaches near 4 feet. I do find Hansa is a bit awkward and leggy too like you say, but was hoping for no die back here in my climate (4b-5). I've had a considerable amount on Hansa, for a zone 2 but perhaps it just takes a few years to settle in. My worse problem though is that she is the Japanese Beetle magnet. I've wondered if it is the fragrance (or color) that attracts them so. I read that white geraniums are supposed to be a good lure. They are supposed to eat them, become totally intoxicated and fall down below them so you can just scoop them up. Tried pink geraniums last year and they didn't even snack, so giving the white ones a try this year.