Software
Houzz Logo Print
wai1016

Help with a bathroom refresh - vanity, mirror, and lights.

8 years ago

Hello! I am really struggling with my bathroom refresh. I only can change the vanity, lights, and mirror right now. I don't even know the style of the bathroom to be able to search for a matching vanity online. ANY help or direction would be appreciated!


I can do up to a 46" vanity.


The bathroom is only used by my father, so just one person.


Thank you in advance!





Comments (16)

  • 8 years ago

    Need to know a little more about what you don’t like, what look you’re going for. Personally, I’d remove the fake greens, put a piece of art above the toilet (if you have towel bars elsewhere), use smaller mirror, maybe one without wooden border, and updated light fixture.

  • 8 years ago

    I'd like an opinion/advice about what style vanity would go with the bathroom. I'm set on changing the vanity, mirror, and lights.

  • 8 years ago

    Maybe some links or pictures as to what vanity or lights would look nice in here?

  • 8 years ago

    To start with, what is the reason you are refreshing? Want to brighten it up? Update/modernize it? Or is the vanity broken?

    It looks to me like you have a lot of wood and finish colors going on here. The wood ceiling, wood mirror, the wood vanity. the brass shower, the knobs. I think I would go with a painted vanity in a fun shade or cream/beige as close to one of the shades of tile as you can get. The mirror it too oversized in my opinion. Possibly a round one in a brassy or bronzed finish.

    If you have vanity size in mind, I would start there. Just look for the dimensions you want. In smaller bathroom vanities that have "feet" like a piece of furniture help it look bigger. So does vanities that have an open shelf on the bottom. A look I really love.

    The toilet is a very modern style. You could play that up and go with a vessel sink.

  • 8 years ago

    I think a bit cleaner lines would go nice with the shower.

    Glenview, IL · More Info

    I searched the Eclectic and Mediterranean style categories. If that helps. There was lots of shaped mirrors which added some interest.

  • 8 years ago


    Contemporary Bathroom · More Info
    don't know if this gives you enough storage but it is a simple update to your space. I would also paint the ceiling white- I think the wood is a little dark. Down the road maybe you could take down the wall next to the toilet and just have a glass enclosure- that would give you more light and the illusion of more space.

  • 8 years ago

    Would your father be more comfortable reaching things under the sink or having storage above the sink? I think doing some open shelves below the sink will open up the space. Alternatively, shelving above the sink might be more accessible.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    can I say that I love this bathroom - even the tile and pebbled shower door! I really like funky 70s stuff. I'd play up the midcentury feel of this bath, with a dark/sleek vanity and mirror. for the countertop, try to find an off-white that plays well with that tile. (or maybe even grey quartz or concrete might work here?)

    remove the fake plant. get rid of that shelf above the toilet. add charcoal color towels / rug. a bright framed print to counteract all of those dark tones! play around with one or two more brass things to compliment the shower frame -- but don't go all brass everywhere! mixed metals are ok.

    for the fixture, something simple. personally, I loathe ceiling lights in bathrooms (very unflattering), so look for something modern that goes above or around the mirror.

    try west elm & CB2 for design & fixture inspiration.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    https://pin.it/4kkyem7pmfwz5r

    I like the idea of having shelves above the toilet, some easily accessible drawers below the sink and open space below the vanity for some fun decor.

  • 8 years ago

    I know you're focusing on the vanity but if your father is aging, focus on accessibility and safety. I see an emesis basin on the counter, telling me there's been a hospital stay. Does the shower have railings or a bench? You may want to focus on those areas first.

  • 8 years ago

    Home Depot has 773 modern and transitional vanities with integrated tops that are 38 - 46" wide. You'll find them here: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Bathroom-Vanities-Vanities-with-Tops/38-46-in/Modern/Transitional/N-5yc1vZcfw5Z1z0kdqhZ1z0wuk1Z1z10xfh?NCNI-5



    Modern - Transitional - 38-46 in. - Vanities with Tops - Bathroom Vanities - Th · More Info

  • 8 years ago

    Age or mobility is not mentioned but would your father need a "comfort" height toilet? The existing one looks very low.

  • 8 years ago

    HI everyone!! Sorry I haven't responded. I don't get Houzz alerts on my phone and didn't see all of these messages. First of all, thank you all so much for taking your time to respond. Can I just say how amazing the Houzz community is??


    In response to some of the questions: My father is 70. He very recently had a major brain surgery so my mother wants to update the bathroom to just make it a little nicer for him. Unfortunately, our budget only allows for a new vanity, mirror, and lights. So far he hasn't said anything about the toilet being too low. I think that's ok to stay for now. He likes lots of drawers so I like the idea of putting more shelving above the sink!


    We just can't figure out the "style" of the bathroom is so that we could get a matching sink. We just don't know what to google.


    Love the vanity pictures you guys have sent - I'm forwarding them to my mother right now

  • 8 years ago


    Modern - Transitional - 38-46 in. - Vanities with Tops - Bathroom Vanities - Th · More Info