Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattgandin

All My Loving rose

Matthew Gandin
5 years ago
I bought this 2017 new offering from Weeks as a body bag clearance at OSH last year and it struggled in a pot. I transplanted to the ground this spring and it’s really taking off, big magenta blooms.

Comments (14)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

I love these rose rescue stories! Beautiful Matthew.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    5 years ago

That's Santa Clara for you - hard for things to not do well there.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

That's true, rifis. I'd like to hear how others are doing with this rose as I got one with the Springhill 'Rainbow of Roses' this spring and like it. Mine is still in a pot so i don't feel I can really judge it fairly yet. Its bloom are huge, fairly fragrant and last well on the bush. It does experience some BS, but I'm finding mine generally do while in pots and then clear up once in the ground (unless it's destined to BS always and early L: (( )

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

Vapor , mine is in a pot too. I like the blooms but yes, black spot galore. Not much repeat. I don’t love it , and it’s not going to be planted . Maybe I’m being mean but I learned I don’t love hybrid tea growth so I’m just going to save myself the pain :) I’ll enjoy these beautiful photos of it though!

5 years ago

I feel the same way about the hybrid T growth. I have a spot I'm just going to stick it in the ground I decided today and see how it does I may move it later. The one thing is tall and skinny can fit between larger plants in the back. And if she continues to black spot it will hide that. Does your Violet's Pride black spot also? Mine completely defoliated it but grew back the leaves and is budding out again. We'll see how she does since I planted her yesterday.

• dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
    5 years ago

Such lovely full blooms!

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well, I did plant mine out a couple of weeks ago and she thanked me by completely shaping up! Her new growth is beautiful and she's had a huge flush of about 10 to 15 roses which is quite a lot considering! She's meant to get tall so we'll see how she does here and if she makes it through the winter and behaves herself I may just keep her in the spot I put her in. Ching-ching did exactly the same. I don't think these grafted roses appreciated being kept in a pot. I'll update.

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Vapor how is All my loving doing for you? I just stopped by my local garden center and against my better judgement came home with two. The color reminded me of Fiji which is my DH’s favorite rose and we lost it to RRD last year. After seeing this post and Jen mentioning blackspot I regretted my decision, I really want to stay away from blackspot magnets.

3 years ago

She died. Last year most of these roses that I planted in this particular spot died. I was able to move to chin and Belinda is dream did come back. This spot was quite shaded except in the winter making it a virtual zone 5. The snow would stay in this corner long after it had melted elsewhere. Also I was unaware that there is extremely poor drainage. In fact once the spring rains came the holes were underwater basically. When I dug them out to transplant them the hole stank terribly. I also don't think the frost at end of may helped things! I did like this rose. I will be anxious to see yours in the future. I would not regret it. I don't recall blackspot 1 way or the other since I had it for Such a short. Of time. Thinking about it I now realized I transplanted it twice! The 1st time was on my death hill. Everything I plant there dies except for pink pet, White Meidiland, Belinda, bubble bath And madame Norbert Levavasseur. And hydrangeas and spireas. No wonder why the poor thing died.

• Matthew Gandin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This is my favorite rose if all time (that’s not saying much coming from me lol).

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

That is an incredible color !

Im glad that you found a rose that makes you smile. That's what it is all about.