Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_331742761

Country kitchen... help!

HU-331742761
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am moving in to a new house next month. I want the kitchen to have a country kitchen feel to it. I am on a budget so just want to work with the kitchen and flooring that is already in place. Any ideas?!

Comments (10)

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

Your decor will do most of the style for you. You can have the center panel of one or more cabinets removed and replaced with glass. I have a friend with a new, but vintage feeling white kitchen, She doesn't have a "display" in her glass panel doors, but she does have neatly stacked depression ware and vintage dishes. She also has a light blue green plank ceiling - though there is a touch of green in her granite. She has a curtained sink and some other vintage decor - wish I had a picture!

Her curtained sink is similar to this except she salvaged an older cast iron vintage sink. She also has similar small shelves under her upper cabinets:

I did retrofit a plate rail into one of my cabinets - there are kits for that. I also stained an unfinished wood hood and used a vent insert - you could paint one to match. My kitchen is older and cabinets are wood, but painting would actually be easier. The hood was an expensive project despite some DIY. Hood + vent insert + labor was $1000:

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854029[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854029)

Here is a similar change in white:

If it is in your budget, consider a subway tile or beadboard backsplash. You could paint the beadboard a soft color if you want to get away from the gray - or use a green/gray for a warmer gray.

This one is more green - but gives the idea. The ceiling here is similar to my friend's:

I like color, so if you have a window over the sink, consider a pretty roman shade or faux roman shade.

My faux roman shade - very easy if you sew.

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854052[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854052)

I like the softer styles of the ones that droop a little too - also notice the glass door cabinet - same touches of blue - dishes are neat, but not just for display:

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

I agree, decor is what will do this for you.

You can add a large wooden cutting board and a knife block to the counter.

A braided or woven rag rug on the floor.

New, black cabinet pulls.

A big glass peanut jar of muffins or cookies in the corner.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

I would not change a thing in your kitchen. It is simply not worth the money or the effort. The kitchen is lovely. The cabinets have nice detailing- sure the pulls are a bit modern, but they do not overwhelm the space. Change them if it's easy enough to do.

Your decor will set the mood. A nice tea kettle on the cooktop, a wooden bowl of fruit, flowers on the kitchen table and a nice big cookie jar. What could be more country? A pitcher of homemade lemonade!

Enjoy your new home.

• J Williams
    5 years ago

Agree, looks like a nice kitchen. Maybe you've got room for a picture, or a wall hung knick knack shelf?

• eandhl2
    5 years ago

First thing I would do is look for hardware that matches the present holes. Then your decor added.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I'd find a rug to fit your floor space in some nice colors and a "country" design as a first step to at least hide the gray floor tiles. I'm afraid the gray wall tiles and wall color do not lend themselves to a country feel, and neither does the minimalist hood. You might be better off accepting this kitchen for what it is rather than trying to make it something it's not. Unless you're ready to repaint, change the tiles and get another hood with fan, this is going to be a typical gray/white kitchen, which may not be a bad thing to live with while you get settled in this house, especially if you're not planning on living here fewer than five years.

• PRO
    Suzette Sherman Design
    5 years ago

The biggest issue is the door handles. They are contemporary but the doors are traditional. Weird move former owners made. Now you have a problem with predrilled holes unless you have them filled and pay someone to remove the doors and respray the doors. Still cheaper than a new kitchen. Also cornice on top could be beefed up but nth must. Backsplash replaced with a traditional looking tile. And yes accessories. Gray paint at ceiling needs warming up.

• User
    5 years ago

"I am on a budget" Most of us are...the question is if it's 100, 1000, 10000 (keep adding zeros).

Please give us an idea.

P.S. Lovely kitchen (is there an oven?) and a big congratulations!

• PRO
    Lane Williams Architects
    5 years ago

Live with it for a while, and let it grow on you. It actually looks pretty good.