swvirginiadave

Sabatia angularis AKA rose gentian

swvirginiadave

Anyone have experience starting Sabatia angularis from seed? I've had a few of these little wildflowers come up at my place in the past. I tried to start some from seed once without success. I now find two of these plants flowering and would like to get a group going.

• dbarron

I never grew them intentionally, but they spontaneously occurred on my acreage in Oklahoma. I would recommend fall/winter sowing.

• Jay 6a Chicago

Looking at the Prairie Moon website, it says this Gention needs 90 days of cold weather to germinate, which is in agreement with debarron's statement. So I would winter sow it.

• swvirginiadave

I think I'll try sowing in a flat and leave in a sheltered place outdoors. Thanks

• Jay 6a Chicago

If you are going to winter sow them in one of those black plastic germination trays with the domes, be watchful in the spring when the temps rise that the black plastic will heat up from the sun, and unless you take precautions to ensure good ventilation your seedlings can cook in their tray. It's happened to me more than once, and some very pricey seeds were squandered.