Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emjay55

Need Window treatment ideas

emjay55
10 years ago
We are moving into a house that we will be completely overhauling. Need some window treatment ideas...Large bay window in LR (we will be removing the valance), and Sliding walk out door in DR (we will be taking down the LR and dining room walls)

Comments (27)

• Carolina
    10 years ago
    just before I'm off to bed a comment to 'bump' your question to the top of the list again
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    What will the style of the furniture be?
  • PRO
    A.CHANDRA SHEKHAR
    10 years ago
    which color wall painted and furniture style ?
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    I'm afraid I don't care for the curtains suggested. Most of us Houzzers suggest finding the furniture you like first, in the colors/patterns you love, THEN coordinate draperies, accessories, and paint last. It is easier to match paint color to existing color than to start with that and then have a hard time trying to find fabrics to go with it. In fact, most paint companies can computer-match paint from any type of sample you bring them.

So, even though I understand wanting to paint when the house is empty before you move all your furnishings in, (and I've been there, too), it just makes it easier for us to make suggestions based upon YOUR furnishings, and not the previous owners.
    emjay55 thanked Nancy Walton
  • PRO
    Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
    10 years ago
    I agree with Nancy. I don't always think curtains are necessary unless there is a privacy issue. Go ahead with your renos, get your furniture in & we can help you from there.....
    emjay55 thanked Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
  • ivananderson
    10 years ago
    Maybe you will like these window curtains.
    Grey Vertical Stripe Grommet Chenille Curtains · More Info

Brown Striped Embroidered Vase Damask Tab Top Dupioni Curtain Panels · More Info

Light Blue Embroidered Animals Back Tab Dupioni Silk Curtains · More Info
  • cemalcolm
    10 years ago
    I'm also moving into a new house soon and am struggling with the same issue. It's an old / heritage house with bay windows. I must admit that I'm not a fan of curtains. I prefer blinds or leaving windows bare if privacy is not a concern. I really like Plantation / American Shutters although where I live (in South Africa) they are really very expensive.
    emjay55 thanked cemalcolm
  • PRO
    Design Concepts/Interiors, LLC
    10 years ago
    I agree. We always select the fabrics and furniture first and then go to the drapery layer.
    emjay55 thanked Design Concepts/Interiors, LLC
  • emjay55
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The walls will be light, floors dark, kitchen white, open concept Modern/Contemporary
  • emjay55
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, you couldn't have been more bang on with my plan! thank you, thank you!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Anne dee posted some great rooms. Love the grays. Go for it good luck.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    you're welcome emjay55.... pleasure . pls keep us posted as you progress.
  • PRO
  • User
    10 years ago
    I see you like modern contemporary style. Have you seen a ripple fold heading? It is a nice look. It needs to be made in a light weight fabric such as a sheer and is installed on a special track with glides. You can have it closed or pulled to one side or split into a pair. I didn't see any comments explaining if you have children or pets which makes a difference in your choice of full length draperies or blinds that are up off the floor. What is your sun exposure? Do you need privacy? . These are some of the questions I ask my clients to help them decide on the best window treatment for there particular situation.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 years ago
    The first thing to address, is how much light and privacy control do you desire? Second, what will be your style and palette. Then....be aware that combining privacy, and softness on a large bay window is more expensive, and more a more challenging mounting issue. You want to consider how often privacy will open and close, etc. as well. Getting some design consultation ahead of the re-model, will help you refine your plan.
    emjay55 thanked JAN MOYER
  • hopefulgarden
    10 years ago
    DEFINITELY choose your furniture first. I love the look of color blocked curtains. Frank Roop does it best.
    emjay55 thanked hopefulgarden
  • PRO
    Keller Williams Realty West Monmouth
    10 years ago
    Hanging a piece of stained glass in windows that you do not need complete privacy can be a beautiful touch.
  • PRO
    Silver Threads Designs
    10 years ago
    Dear emjay55, where are you moving to? Your outside environment plays a role in your choice for window treatments. I am a highly experienced master seamstress specializing in window treatments and soft furnishings. I would to help you. www.silverthreadsdesigns.com
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    anna dee had some great pictures! The grays are super hot right now, and remember gray can pair with almost any color. I'm a color girl - so I would add lots of color pops! :)
    emjay55 thanked User
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Before you do too much deciding--figure out what it was about the decor that attracted you to buy the house in the first place--was it the colors? Was it the style of furniture? Was it the light? Were there any features you are keeping? I would live in the house at least six months before you decide to take out walls, you might decide you like the separation. Buy your furniture first, window coverings, art, then decide what color to paint the walls. Don't be in a rush, this is a process...
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Oh, and don't go with "trends" when it comes to buying furniture--get classic pieces (in whatever style) so you don't have to replace those when the next trend makes your stuff look "dated."
    emjay55 thanked Nancy Walton
  • PRO
    A & J Interiors, LLC
    10 years ago
    I always advise clients to live in their space for a while before deciding on window treatments. Temporary shades are so affordable and they give you the privacy you need while you're making your decision. Considering that you're remodeling as well, I'd avoid making any decisions on window treatments until the work is complete. Custom window fashions are an investment and you don't want them damaged or dirty from construction. As for suggestions...there are a lot of great options for both your bay window and slider if you're interested in privacy and light control; and of course the options are endless if you're looking for decorative treatments. I have several clients that selected Hunter Douglas Silhouettes because they provide light control and privacy and have a clean contemporary feel. The headrail on these is a tad large so you may have to opt for one large shade rather than a separate one for each window in the bay. The Luminette is Hunter's vertical counterpart to the Silhouette and would work for your slider. Hunter's Skyline Gliding window panel is also a fabulous contemporary look and works well with their Designer Roller shades. Any of these window treatments can be paired with stationary panels framing the window to add some color and interest.
    emjay55 thanked A & J Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 years ago
    As they (some genius I might add) say........."decorate in haste...repent at leisure!!" When you have decided the "flavor" and style and feel of your furnishings and paint..... address the windows. RediShade has good temporary coverings with various degrees of room privacy to tide you over inexpensively. http://redishade.com/store/index.html
    emjay55 thanked JAN MOYER
  • meddler
    10 years ago
    Perhaps this is a different approach to the window covering issue. Why not solve the problem OUTSIDE? Since you are just moving in, now is a perfect time to plant something outside the living bay window that will give you privacy from what i am assuming is a sidewalk and street. that could mean some nice flowering scrubs, but not right in front of the window. Set the shrubs back from the window about 8-10 ft, so you will then be able to plant something lower growing in the front that you will also be able to see from your living room. You could plant bamboo instead of shrubs if you want more privacy , but again plant it away from the window. That way what your plantings will look like a "secret garden" and you may not want anything more than some sheer side panels or a print to match your decor. This will also be much less expensive than any other window covering solution, and perhaps make your living feel like an oasis. If you live in a winter climate, this can also provide something very interesting to look at in the snow. then perhaps use something evergreen along with red or yellow twig dogwood and also consider a birch tree of some type.
    emjay55 thanked meddler
  • PRO
    MBBCreativity
    10 years ago
    I adore Anne Dee's pics, and Meddler's suggestion for evergreen privacy is good too. I like to breakup my large windows with separate curtains over blinds, each tied in the middle. I get a lot of light, but can let them swing free in the winter for thermal aid. 'Course, I switch out my colors seasonally, but I do recommend lighter curtains rather than drapes, which are hard to clean. Good luck!
    emjay55 thanked MBBCreativity
  • PRO
    North Shore Decor
    10 years ago
    I'm a window treatment guy, but your draperies don't offend me. I think you'll get the biggest bang for your buck by painting the walls a more current and vibrant color with the draperies being in contrast to them instead of blending. In the dining room I would also get rid of the wood panel door if this is a room divider and look at replacing the rug. In the living room the upholstered furniture looks dated, and the artwork is a little small for the scale of the room. The draperies are classic panels; they will work in an updated room.
Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living