Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_383253385

countertops clash, everything clashes!!

Lily
5 years ago
So after searching and searching, I finally found countertops that I liked and finally, today they were installed. Problem is, they clash with everything! I always thought that my cabinets were white, now I now that they are more of an antique white. They look terrible and I don’t know how to fix it :( Please Help!! Is there any way to stain white quartzite to a more “beige color?” TIA!

Comments (158)

• Jo
    5 years ago
    Great Lily. Enjoy your beautiful kitchen.
  • traci_from_seattle
    5 years ago

Very nice! I love how the backsplash turned out.

• Ellen Tracy
    5 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • Pam A
    5 years ago

Good for you! That looks so much nicer and the whole picture is a bright space that is warm (not cold). And you saved a lot of money compared to a replacement.

• Hansen
    5 years ago
    Love a happy ending and love your space.
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    Paint the cabinetry a true white to match the white of the quartz, or a light gray matching one color in the counter. The quartz is the most valuable element...don’t touch it!
  • judy1740
    5 years ago
    Hard to tell because the monitor changes the colour. I would get tile sample boards from the tile store and set them against the cupboards and quartz and see if anything draws it together. Stay away from anything busy. Try and draw from cabinet and counters. If tiles don’t work I would consult a designer because counter mistakes are expensive as you already found out. It will be beautiful in the end. I’m a little confused because one pic looks good with counter and one doesn’t.
  • GeorgiaPeach 1970
    5 years ago
    I'm so sorry you're stressing. It's still pretty. But good advice to step back,take a deep breath & live with it awhile.
    You're overwhelmed right now.
    Later on you change out the backsplash.
    It definitely seems the culprit. Not a too expensive fix. Good luck
  • GeorgiaPeach 1970
    5 years ago
    I feel silly! Didnt realize this was an old post.
    I felt so sad for Lily.
    Yay! It looks beautiful.
  • aak4
    5 years ago

Looks awesome!

• Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago

Chalk paint huh? Never would've thought that would suffice, but wow that worked out so well! Well done, how's it holding up?

• beadsnsew
    5 years ago

But Lily, the photos DO do it justice! :) It’s all beautiful!! Glad you found a solution - you did a great job! Thanks for coming back to post pics :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing! I can hear the excitement in your voice and congratulations on finding a great solution! Well done!
  • jkt107
    5 years ago

What an improvement. Looks great! Would you mind telling me the color of your kitchen walls?

• orec3
    5 years ago

Love it! Your kitchen is gorgeous. Very smart fix!

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Neat. I like your save!!!

• Lily
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you all for the kind comments :)
    Yes, chalk paint worked and it’s holding up very well. In case somebody else ever wants to do this, it’s important to know that I mixed it with water, I did a small section at a time and cleaned the grout In that section before moving on. I tried just the paint on a sample and it looked terrible! For some reason in the photos it looks like it has a pinkish hue but in person it doesn’t.
  • Lily
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The paint color on the wall is called silver strand by SW. It’s very pretty. It looks like plain gray in the swatch but turns out a pretty silver color.
  • Lily
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Per your advice, I did go and found some accessories that were more my style and put them on the counter tops and they do take your eyes off of the counter. I also purchased a natural gas stove top and I think that once it’s installed, it’s going to bring everything together even more! I’m just happy I didn’t have to spend 20K on new countertops or even a couple of thousand on changing the backsplash. Eventually I do still want to change the countertops on the perimeter maybe for a solid darker color but this works for now!!
  • Lily
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Another suggestion that worked tremendously was changing ALL the lightbulbs to “day light” bulbs, big, big difference!
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

It’s perfect! I love your floors. Do you mind sharing what you have? Also, did you say you were getting a gas stovetop? So you’ll remove the induction?

• Lily
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes, Zalco, only two burners work in the induction that I have so I’m going to take the opportunity and get a natural gas stove top instead.
    These are white oak wide planks, somebody called it Rubio color.

• crystalpea
    5 years ago

Oh no! What brand/model of induction did you get?

• Val B
    5 years ago
    Looks really great! And now you know what color tile to get for the backsplash if the paint starts to chip or get worn.
  • kulrn
    5 years ago

It looks beautiful!

• Lily
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The induction was part of the builder’s package. I think it’s a GE it’s 4 yo.
  • perky_2
    5 years ago

Wow - what a recovery! Nice job.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

What a brilliant job you did! Your kitchen was gorgeous to begin with and you found the perfect way to smooth over a little hiccup. Bravissima!

• lindag70
    5 years ago

The backsplash looks incredible; the entire space looks unifed -- very happy for you! Could you possibly share a bit more about the chalk paint process. Which brand chalk paint was used, did you 50/50 with the paint/water or other split, did you only paint the tiles and not the grout lines, and what was the application method (paint brush, sponge, rag, etc). Any other info or tips would be so much appreciated. Thank you!

• houssaon
    5 years ago

I am so happy for you. It looks great!

• lbmccarthy418
    5 years ago
    Great paint job in the backsplash! It looks beautiful, and the countertop is just gorgeous. Great save!
  • Lily
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you!
    I used the chalk paint from Lowe’s (they only sell one brand that you can customize) And I had them make it the same color as the paint that I used for my house walls.
    As for the mixing ratio, I wish I would have measured but I didn’t, I just kept adding water until I was happy with the consistency. I wanted a white-wash effect so it was pretty watered down.
    I used a regular water spray bottle to apply it and after I sprayed it, wiped it with a rag.
    I did small sections at a time and I cleaned the grout quickly before moving on. It is important that you are consistent with the application and don’t apply twice in the same spot because you will create darker spots where it overlaps.
    After you’re done with everything and it’s dry, you start all over again... do as many coats as you need until you’re happy!
  • lindag70
    5 years ago

Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond and sharing detailed instructions. I appreciate it! Kind regards.

• ram123
    5 years ago
    Turned out beautiful!! I know it was a difficult process but you should be very proud to creat such a great fix!! I think everyone could understand how upsetting this was, so glad you found the perfect solution!!
  • abb_ann
    5 years ago
    Backsplash does not work.
  • Julie D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Lily--I need to white wash my travertine backsplash--here

is a picture. I love the idea of chalk paint. Any tips? Is it holding up OK and how is it to clean it. Thank you.

• Grey Owl
    4 years ago
    Just change the backsplash
  • Grey Owl
    4 years ago
    Sorry I just read your update..looks beautiful
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

Your thread showed up - I love the tumbled look, and if you like it better with absorbed chalk paint, even better!

With stainless steel, I think a grey-ish element [counter] blends with them: "light warm and light cool."

• Julie D
    4 years ago

in reference to my backsplash question

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Julie, she used the lowes chalk paint that matched her cabinet color tone? In your case I would use an antique white or aged white. bright white will be too white.

just mix it w/water until it's thinned out enough to do a 'wash'. practice on a spare piece first. work in small sections, have a rag ready to wipe and go for it. I will add that if your travertine is sealed, it may not absorb like unsealed stone. Hard to say without trying it on both.

Lily, yours is the first 'painted' stone I've seen that actually looks good.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Your biggest expense was the countertops....so they stay. Paint the cabinets (not YOU, a professional) and replace the backsplash (another professional).
    These kinds of mistakes happen when a person makes choices without having samples of the real materials. Decorating is not guesswork...it is planned, verified, sample-checked and re-checked. Take your samples wherever you go, even if it requires a suitcase on wheels. Look at your samples in your house and outside in the natural light. Store lighting is often bad.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Seems but in person ? that the flooring has quite a blend with backsplash. Might help that the islands are dark - the contrast seems to draw attention, and some away from the lighter parts... if that helps.

Hearth Room · More Info

• everdebz
    4 years ago

With time on my hands, I'm posting a similar look: beige and polished steel, for entry or dining - nice if house has a romantic sofa or chair in softened lilac / lavender imo.

Contemporary Opaleen Chandelier · More Info

Layers Landscape Art (35352) · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/uttermost-layers-landscape-art-prvw-vr~106523143

https://www.houzz.com/products/contemporary-opaleen-chandelier-prvw-vr~46922648

• everdebz
    4 years ago

This has drama with 2 deep colors -

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

everdebz, any idea where that deep blue throw is from? love it. That off-center artwork would drive me batty. Needs to be turned horizontally

• everdebz
    4 years ago

lol.... and what a royal blue.... idk where, not that one. Searched royal blue, but not with that burnout-type...

BOON Rabbit Jumbo Fur Throw and Pillow, 3-Piece Set, Navy Blue · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/rabbit-faux-fur-throw-blanket-with-2-pillows-royal-blue-prvw-vr~80239672

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

close,! I like that other one because it has deep violet tones. almost an ultramarine blue. my fave, fave color!

• Stacy
    last year

Old post with an update question. How is your travertine holding up with chalk paint?? I want to do this to mine which are the same color as yours.

Love your spacious kitchen!

• hitchy_
    last year

Would love to know how this is holding up as well. I need to whitewash or limewash my travertine backsplash and I love the look of your finished product with chalk paint! We're your tiles sealed before whitewashing? Did you apply sealant after whitewashing?