bill_minn_3b

Hackberry seeds.

Just wondered how to store these Celtis occidentalis seeds. Can I just let them dry and then put them through a stratification of some sort next spring? What's the best way? I have some I picked a couple of weeks ago and they are already starting to wrinkle up. Are they goners?

• Bill_minn_3b {West Central MN}

From what I could glean from internet information (ugh), I did what was the best advice that made sense to me. I put the seeds in warm water for 24 hrs, and then put them into a sieve and rolled them around with my knuckles to break the outside coating and pulp, so I could clean all that off, down to the nut shell. Then just store them and scarify the nut shells before putting them through a 60 to 90 day cold/moist stratification in late winter.

• Bill_minn_3b {West Central MN}

Also went out today and picked some 'Fresh' berries and planted them directly into the ground, in some 'out of the way' parts of the yard. That way they can go 'natural' and I can transplant any that sprout. :-)

• Bill_minn_3b {West Central MN}

Update: Got some of the seeds in for stratification. Scarified lightly using 400 grit emery paper. Soaked in water for 24 hrs. Put 2 seeds in each cell of seed starter mix. In the fridge for 60-90 days.