Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jccsucculents

Brighamia insignis alive?

LOLmcm Calif.
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My Brighamia insignis has had any leaves for 2 years. The stock is firm. I pulled it out of the pot and see that it has 3 stout roots that are also firm. Is it still alive and will it ever grow again?

2 photos

Comments (15)

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    5 years ago

I would say it’s still alive. The top part is that soft or firm like the bottom?

• LOLmcm Calif.
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Kara,

Its firm also. The top is a little sunken in but otherwise firm.

• aloebot
    5 years ago

I think it doesn't like where you are placing it to grow. One of mine is leafless now for a couple months. As long as you give it super fast draining soil you can water quite a lot. The habitat is inside craters on cliff faces in Hawaii. A close friend has the largest one I have seen. She lives near the beach. Hers is attacked by spider mites every year and looks shabby for a while. She sprays it with soap solution (I think) and it re- leafs. It looks great most of the year and is now 3 heads and 18-20" tall. Don't give up on yours. It is just being fussy.

• LOLmcm Calif.
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If I remember right it was in Supersoil with perlite and red volcanic rock. It gets watered once a week unless its really hot. It gets early afternoon sun dappled with shade. I live in San Clemente to sun isn't too hot most of the time. I've been looking at it for 2 years and finally decided to pull it out of the pot to see what the root situation was.

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

Hits with cultural information:

https://www.bing.com/search?pc=COSP&ptag=N1140D060418AE20BDC3E2E&form=CONMHP&conlogo=CT3210127&q=brighamia+insignis+care

Due to near extermination by imported plant-eating mammals these days most characteristic wild situation is out on sea cliffs rather than inside craters. So plenty of air movement, in a tropical area where humidity is high.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    5 years ago

If this were mine I’d try not to worry too much and make it simple. It sounds crazy, but I swear as soon as I start to worry or walk on eggshells around a plant things go wrong. I would repot in 50% rinsed strained pumice, 20% rinsed strained perlite, and the rest cactus mix. The perlite will help lighten the load and mix. Whatever fast draining mix you like will work. I’d bury to here.

Make sure the pot has drainage holes. Wait a week after repotting to water. Give good morning sun and just leave be. Hopefully it’ll snap out of its funk. Like Aloebot has said it may not like where its at. So try somewhere else. Maybe that’ll help:). Also leave it be. Idk if you do this, but I‘ve been guilty of lifting and checking for roots. Just let it do it’s thing;). I’m always curious to see the roots and I have to stop myself. Goodluck;).

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

Hits on page I linked to above mention mites and slugs/snails interfering with leaf retention. Also leaf production falling off if adequate fertility is not maintained.

• Chad19 (AB-CA-3b)
    5 years ago

I don't have one anymore but my mom still does. I've noticed it doesn't seem to care for heat as right now it's basically a stick. Indoors for the winter and it starts to put out leaves really quickly. Not sure if all are winter growers or if hers is just confused.

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

Doesn't grow in an arid climate in nature.

• LOLmcm Calif.
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Transplanted with cactus / succulent mix and pumice. Moved so less sun in afternoon. Will let it go and see what happens. Thanks everyone.

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

I'd definitely check for involvements of pests that were mentioned above. Mites in particular. One of the hits on the page I linked to when opened even talked about a particular species of mite being a typical and aggressive problem on cultivated specimens in Hawaii.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    5 years ago

San Clemente stays reasonably humid as it is right on the coast. Wonder if is warm enough in the winter. (What passes for winter in SoCal).

• aloebot
    5 years ago

My friend's plant is about 3 miles from the coast in Oceanside. It loves it there.

• aloebot
    5 years ago

This was a few years ago.

Sponsored