Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

Azalea House roses

I was very saddened to get a belated response to my request to Andy Van Cleve regarding some OGRs he was propogating. The email came from his family, stating that he had passed away last year from his illness. I don’t know if anyone else here was wondering what had happened, but I just thought I’d share this sad news, just in case anyone here had been to the site or sent email inquiries. He was very passionate and knowledgeable about roses and lilacs, and a quirky but kindly kindred spirit in his love for OGRs.

His family also stated that they were trying to sort out all the stock, but were struggling without Andy’s guidance. They indicating they’d be selling the stock this Fall and next Spring, but couldn’t do mail order without Andy.

I don’t know if there’s anyone nearby who could offer some help, but it sounded like he had an extensive stock of our precious roses (and lilacs) that should be cared for and protected in his honor. Please forgive me if this is too off topic, but I wasn’t sure where else to post this.

Comments (6)

  • 8 years ago

    I did hear about his passing. I dont recalled how I found out, but I was saddened to hear of it. I talked to him a few times, he was quirky, but sweet and sure did have a great love for roses. I'm a bit quirky myself, so we got along just fine. I didnt realize everyone wasnt aware or I would have shared. Maybe Christopher is near him? Maybe someone near him is able to help. I wish I could afford the drive, and all to buy some. I'm sure they will sale quickly.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Alana8aSC
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you, Alana. I thought the same thing, but I’m already neck-deep in high schoolers, and there’s no way I could get away. Maybe I just missed this news, but I felt like there should be some kind of acknowledgement here, even though I don’t recall him posting.

    I agree, Vaporvac, very sad. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to try to sort this all out, while grieving. (Note to self: start documenting my collection Now, for my family’s sake.) This, plus the other nursery closings, plus the RRD news is really heartbreaking. His website suggests hundreds of varieties of roses, some quite rare. I sure hope Somebody up that way can lend a hand to the Van Cleves.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm now thinking maybe I will drive to Maine to visit my dad and stop off there on the way back to stock up.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 8 years ago

    I hadn't heard of this nursery, but I'm saddened that yet another source for old roses is disappearing, which seems to be happening more and more lately. vaporvac, I hope you'll be able to stop by and help the family and yourself by acquiring some roses at hopefully a fairly good price.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Ingrid, I have never ordered anything from there but have always been fascinated by the website. I've been working my way through Are's Holdings and thought I'd get some from him once I wanted some once bloomers. He specialized in lilacs azaleas fruit trees including espalier and roses, all of the older Hardy varieties. His newsletter and website were a font of Arcane knowledge gained only by experience! It was very quirky! It's still up actually so u can still see it. I spent hours reviewing it last night as I suspect it will come down soon. I honestly don't know how he kept it up with just one helper, but it was a well known place in that neck of the woods. It was very Charming with the old wooden Homestead.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley