Software
Houzz Logo Print
swil22

Help! $2000 Budget for Kitchen Remodel

8 years ago
Hi! Looking to upgrade my grandmother’s kitchen for about $2,000. I know not much but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on where I could begin to bring us into 2018.

Notes
She’s doesn’t want anything white
She purchases a couple of black appliances last year.

See photos (it’s rough)

Comments (50)

  • 8 years ago

    Give everything a thorough scrubbing, new wall paint, replace that old gas cooktop.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Put it in a high yield investment and have it make friends. Like at least 30x friends.

    The best you could do on 2K is a DIY paint job, Walls only, and that’s it. You’re not going to be able to DIY paint laminate cabinets without a lot more experience your belt. 2K won’t cover appliances. Or new counters. Or a new backsplash. Or adding new lighting. Or new cabinets. All of which is needed.

  • 8 years ago
    Yes, I’d like to add to the budget as we go through this process
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    It’s not big enough to even start. It won’t cover demolition, a dumpster, and disposal of the existing kitchen.


    construction · More Info

  • 8 years ago

    is it for re-sale or is she remaining in the home? is this a total DIY project?

    if staying and total DIY: i would paint for sure. and look for a basic cooktop on clearance, opened package etc.. i think that might be it for the $2,000. any other improvements will put you way over that.

    if paying someone, i think painting would be all u can do.

    is the b/s laminate?

  • 8 years ago

    Cabinets, counters, and backsplash are all laminate. Not something to keep, or to put in a lot of effort to change.

  • 8 years ago
    There are lots of good quality used cabinets for sale on buy and sell sites, I think that that might be a place to look. It will take some carefully measuring and some looking but they are definitely available and appliances as well. People gut kitchens when they buy homes and the stuff that is being remove is not to their taste but still good quality with lots of life in them.Good luck.
  • 8 years ago

    You could look at a place like Green Demolitions which sometimes has entire kitchens for prices as low as $1000.

    https://greendemolitions.com/product/rye-caramel-brookhaven/

  • 8 years ago
    She’s staying. We’re staying. I wanted to know what I could to do for $2,000. Definitely not total DIY. Just looking for areas where we can save.

    Basically what I’m getting is gut the whole thing and start from scratch. I should be able to save that much within a year. We are in no rush.

    Thank you for all the tips so far - it’s putting a lot of things in perspective.
  • 8 years ago
    Keep an eye out for used cabinets, paint the walls a light grey to open the space up, change the flooring. Do you have a picture of the while kitchen? Does she need the island? If not you could take that out and use a hanging pot rack if you can. If you have a habitat for humanity, try shopping there. Also you CAN buy linoleum counter top sheets at hardware stores! It won't be a high end upgrade, but it will help.
  • 8 years ago
    Also didnt you say she bought new appliances??
  • 8 years ago
    Yes, just a oven and dishwasher - both black.
  • 8 years ago

    She’s staying. We’re staying. I wanted to know what I could to do for $2,000. Definitely not total DIY. Just looking for areas where we can save.

    Simone, who is "we" -- is it you and your grandmother, or you and a partner and kids? Also, how long are you staying? Is this a long-term thing, where you're living with your grandmother now and then will inherit and continue to live in the house? Do you want to remodel because you just want to make the kitchen look nicer for your grandmother, do you need it to look a little better for a sale in the near future, or do you want it to look/function a bit better for you?

    Answers to these questions will help people to offer better suggestions. If this is a short-term situation, then I would clean and paint the walls. If you want more than that, then I think you need to come up with a plan for what you need/want to be done (short-term, mid-term, and long-term), and how you are going to budget for that.

  • 8 years ago
    Hi Becky

    Is you and your grandmother, or you and a partner and kids?

    - my sis and i for now, no kids.

    Also, how long are you staying? Is this a long-term thing, where you're living with your grandmother now and then will inherit and continue to live in the house?

    - I will inherit the home and continue the living here if she goes before I do :((. I have no plans to sell right now. So many memories

    Do you want to remodel because you just want to make the kitchen look nicer for your grandmother, do you need it to look a little better for a sale in the near future, or do you want it to look/function a bit better for you -

    Both. Even though I will inherit the home i don’t want her to feel like I’m completely taken over. As you can see it’s a bit dated. She agreed to let me select the changes for the remodel whenever that happens
  • 8 years ago

    Ok, that's all very helpful information : ) .

    I think you need to think short-term, while you and your sister are living with your grandmother, and then long-term, when it's just you, or you and your sister. I think it might help everyone -- you, your grandmother, and folks here offering suggestions -- if you start thinking of what you're doing now as more of a "refresh" than a remodel. A refresh can be inexpensive and cosmetic, limited to things like new kitchen towels, a new mat in front of the cooktop, and maybe a paint job; I would also look into a gel mat, which your grandmother find more comfortable and easier on her feet and joints. They come in different colors and patterns. Just make sure whatever mat you choose isn't a tripping hazard for her.

    How does your grandmother feel about a remodel? Is she excited or nervous or not particularly uninterested or ? If she's not 100 percent thrilled, I'd move very slowly with this. A new mat, kitchen towels, maybe a paint job.

    What I would do in preparation for the long-term is use the kitchen a lot. After about a year, you'll have an idea of what works and what doesn't work. Then start thinking about what you would do, and then how you'd pay for it. One side benefit of this approach is that you'll have a chance to spend lots of time in the kitchen with your grandmother, cook with her, learn her recipes, and make some more memories to keep in the future when you're in the remodeled kitchen.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Figure everything out in detail before you spend any money. There are a number of ways you could go.

    Stores like Home Depot and Lowes offer credit card deals that let you spend now and pay it off in 2-3 years. So if your long-term budget is, say $5K, you could make different decisions.

    The stovetop looks like a must. Could you consider a range if you replace the countertop? Sometimes ranges are cheaper. Does it have to be gas?

    I got a corian countertop and sink for less than $2K (40-50sf). A nice electric range for $650. (Some were in the $400s.) Look at the rustoleum DIY kitchen cabinet paint kit for maybe $200? (IDK if it works on laminate or not.) There are cabinet doors and drawers you can order on the Internet if you want to reface the cabinets eventually. Unpainted, they can be cheap. Look at barkerdoor.com. Go to the re-store or sites that resell used cabinets. People give stuff away on nextdoor.com for free or cheap. (I have a cast iron sink I need to get rid of.) You could post an ISO and try to catch someone who is doing a remodel. Lots of contractors are on nextdoor.com.

    A 4” tile backspash and drywall repair above could look beautiful and not be expensive. You could splurge on the tile if you only need 8sf.

    Can the upper cabinets be removed? Would shelves be better? Or a buffet or hutch in another room? Those can be cheap if used. Try the thrift store.

    $2000 won’t go far, but if a long-term budget is bigger and if you have time to do research, you can probably get a lot of bang for the buck. You are going to need to do the research though, and become a bit of an expert. It will be worth it. Take your time. DIY as much as you can. (You’ll learn a lot.)

    Start by figuring out what you would love to have. Would she love a new countertop? A new range? New cabinet doors? New backspash? New floor? Prioritize. Then take each one and figure out a way to get each one down to a couple hundred dollars. (While doing my kitchen mini-makeover, the only items that were over a couple hundred dollars were the range and countertop.)

    I think my recent makeover was about $3K for an 8x12 kitchen. I already had the refrigerator, dishwasher, cabinets (which I painted) and kitchen faucet. It looks really cute now, although cabinet refacing is in its future. This is what I did:

    • painted cabinets ~$100 DIY
    • new cabinet hardware ~$100 DIY
    • new countertop ~$1800 installed
    • new sink & disposer ~$300 DIY
    • new range ~$700 installed
    • new 4” tile backsplash ~$100 DIY
    • existing faucet
    • existing dishwasher
    • existing refrigerator
    • existing microwave

    EDIT: I feel like if you can replace the stovetop and get rid of the laminate countertop and backsplash, it would be a major improvement. That leaves the cabinets. See if you can paint these yourself, if they are intact and you don’t hate them. (You can reface them later.) Remove the uppers if they are in the way. The countertop + stovetop could be the most expensive part. Think high-low. I just got rid of a similar butcher-block laminate countertop and replaced with corian. It took me 30 years to part with it! It was so functional! But the kitchen looks so much better without the yellow. Be sure you plan to keep the base cabinet carcasses before you replace the countertop.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    even if you want to spend that $2000. [which I wouldn't]...you have to show the whole room. Why isn't the dishwasher installed? has the existing oven broken..so no oven use since last year or some time? are the appliances sitting somewhere since last year... as they were just a casual, random purchase? Appliances are better selected and purchased as part of a comprehensive renovation. Perhaps a range would be better... new units sitting in the garage/basement/? .....maybe best to sell them on Craigs list and get a realistic look at the space and a total plan....and locations of things can be better plotted. More info is needed,but the Tappan cooktop would be far better if replaced by a mid priced range.

  • 8 years ago

    If you want to replace the cooktop and add some more functionality to the kitchen, this range got very good reviews the other month at Wirecutter and is available in black, white, and stainless. And you can get the white and black ones now at Home Depot for around $400; stainless and black is just under $450,

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-5-1-cu-ft-Gas-Range-in-Black-WFG320M0BB/205068591

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-5-1-cu-ft-Gas-Range-in-White-WFG320M0BW/205068607?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-197432-456723-

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-5-1-cu-ft-Gas-Range-with-Under-Oven-Broiler-in-Stainless-Steel-WFG320M0BS/205068602

    I'm thinking that of all the changes you might want to make to suit yourself, a new range might make your grandmother happiest. But if you go this route, do yourself a HUGE favor and post a layout of the kitchen complete with measurements, doorways, windows etc. because replacing a cooktop with a range means some fiddling with cabinets.

  • 8 years ago

    The house looks solid. The walls, ceiling and floor are square and sturdy. That's good!

    Don't do anything, don't spend anything, until you think things through. What do you like about the kitchen? What do you want to change?

    Try not to move appliances. It costs to move plumbing and electrical.

    Keep everything simple and standard.

    Shop, shop, shop. Habitat For Humanity has good used cabinets. Home Depot has great appliances sales. Craigslist. Estate sales. Every dollar adds up.

    Look for fair, honest tradespeople. Ask your friends and neighbors who they use for carpentry and plumbing and electrical.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    As you plan for the future remodel, playing with the Ikea kitchen planner is a great way to gauge what the layout possibilities are and get a price on cabinet replacement. Ikea cabs are a good value and often recommended here for modest remodeling budgets. Measure your space and play. If you post a measured rough layout of the room, people will give you their ideas for the best layouts in your space.

    You can certainly replace the cooktop now and use it in a new kitchen remodel later. This is the induction cooktop I would consider if you want an electric one, but you will need to check into electrical requirements and whether the existing electric service has that.

    Induction: $899 https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50182620/

    Gas: $339 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-30-in-Gas-Cooktop-in-Black-with-4-Burners-W3CG3014XB/203525171

    $429: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40288702/

    $599 https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60288701/

    Head to Ikea...You will find the best price/quality for a modest budget remodel....and get ideas for later.

    If you keep the cabs, you can replace the counters with instock laminate from a big box store for a very reasonable price BUT this is not a first-time DIY project for most people. My handyman charges $35 an hour, and to do a small kitchen would probably take a day. The link shows an example of instock patterns and price.

    https://www.menards.com/main/kitchen/countertops-laminate/all-countertops-laminate/customcraft-countertops-reg-25-x-61-standard-countertop-with-both-ends-capped/4851953/p-1455974621237.htm

  • 8 years ago

    Simone, this is a special time for you, your sis, and your gram to create memories that will be part of you forever. Take your time. Include her in the process to make small changes while you save up. You will always remember her delight and seeing her happiness with the things she helped decide. It can be as simple as paint color. Take her shopping. Involve her in the process. Ikea is in your price range. Take her there to get ideas and her involvement.

    My mom lived alone until almost 90 with my daughter staying with her for a few years in her late 80’s. They did similar things together and it was special for both of them. We eventually moved her 350 miles to an assisted living near me. In order to convince her to do that we moved all of her belongings to my basement, just so she knew her life and belongings were still hers and under her control.. Sometimes you need to do what is necessary to keep peace of mind and happiness in the last phases of life, no matter how long or short that may be.

    I would live in it, save up and plan. Learn about Ikea. I wouldn’t invest in any more appliances until you have a long term plan, unless they aren’t functional.

  • 8 years ago
    Upgrade the hardware, make sure all of the drawer boxes and runners are in fabulous working order. Replace the cooktop. The cabinets are unique and I think are pretty. Replacing countertops with laminate would probably top off the budget. Painting the walls yourself would also fit into that budget.
  • 8 years ago

    When I first moved into my house a few years ago, I had my cabinets painted (I wanted white) and bought new hardware and installed it myself - all for under $2k. I used the leftover paint from the cabinets to paint over the backsplash (they were 8x8 squares of "penny round," and I hated them and wanted them to "disappear"). Later, after the wallpaper was ripped out, I painted the ceiling and walls (we were already doing that to the rest of the house). We got rid of an old built-in desk and a cabinet above the peninsula to let in the light, but kept the flooring, counters and old appliances, and it all turned out great! It was a great way of maintaining sanity - despite the low budget - until it was time to do the full remodel. Photos here.

  • 8 years ago

    Oh My Gosh. I get frustrated with advice that tells people that they need to gut the kitchen and start from scratch, and until the budget is ready then don't do anything. Sure, that is ideal but I personally would want something I could live with in the meantime. IMO spending a little money to make your space more pleasant is not wasteful.

    1. Paint the walls - yourself.

    2. Bring in some inexpensive light fixtures, IKEA has trendy ones. Your photos don't show where your lighting is located, so I have no idea how much of an impact this could make.

    3. Look into the stick-on backsplashes available at Amazon.

    4. Replace the cooktop, keep an eye out for used or scratch and dent.

    5. New handles on cabinets.

    6. Rugs or runners on the floor, new kitchen towels.

    Cheap and cheerful!


    Good luck... Nicole

  • 8 years ago

    There are even nicer stick-on backsplashes at etsy, and many of them are about the same price. Good post, Nicole.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I think this is a multi-phase project, not all or nothing.

    First, b/f you do anything, even cosmetic, take a step back and look at it as a whole. If you plan to eventually do a gut remodel (probably after it's yours), then plan the basics now. You don't have to pick out cabinets, etc., but you should make a list of what you'd really like to change if you had the budget.

    For example:

    • New overall design
    • New floor
    • New cabinets
    • New hardware
    • New fixtures (sink, faucet, etc.)
    • New countertop
    • New backsplash
    • New cooktop (or range)
    • New lighting
    • New wall paint
    • etc.

    Next, think about how you can do this in phases.

    Phase 1 could be to replace anything that is falling apart or is non-functional. Choose either what you would like in the future or inexpensively for now so you won't regret tearing/throwing it out later. Budget will determine which option you choose.

    Phase 2 could be to refresh inexpensively with items that, again, you won't regret tearing out or throwing out later. [Note: There is also the option of donating items when you replace them if they're in good working order and in decent shape.]

    Phase 3 could be the "gut and remodel" phase a few years from now. The advantage of waiting for this phase is that you can save up while you wait.

    Something to keep in mind: Many older people do not adapt easily to major changes. If your grandmother is one of those people, do it slowly and, as someone else suggested, include her in the changes. If she feels that she had a voice in the changes, she will most likely adapt much better than if you just made changes based on what you wanted. I actually think that a full gut & remodel would not be a good idea for her peace of mind -- unless she suggests it.

    One thing I would not recommend doing right now is spending significant amounts of money on something you're just going to tear out in a few years.

    Oh, and be careful about rugs & runners, many older people have problems with them -- primarily tripping.

    Good luck!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Would looks for cabinets @ Habitat, Craigslist, and even some cabinet stores that sell "old" displays and returns.


  • 8 years ago
    I am not an expert, but I am a huge DIYer, and mostly it's been on a shoestring budget. If you are just looking to spruce your kitchen up, here is my 1cents worth. Looks like there is some kind of contact paper on the cabinets? I would tear all of that off, and paint them. Maybe chalk paint (? there are ways to make your own chalk paint I have read, but not tried it) just for a temporary good-looking fix. In my opinion they could not look worse (only better) if you painted them. I would look on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist and find an inexpensive nicer cooktop. Keep the counter tops if they're intact. if the linoleum floor is intact, maybe you could paint that and stencil it in some way. Paint the walls/ceilings. also looking on Facebook Marketplace Craigslist for new used lighting.
  • 8 years ago
    And new hardware. Also see that all the time on Facebook Marketplace
  • 8 years ago

    I would start with a good scrubdown and fresh paint. DIY the wall and ceiling paint. It is a basic skill and will save you thousands over your lifetime, and will allow you to change your color scheme easily. Watch CraigsList like a hawk. Last year I purchased a GE Profile induction cooktop for $500 and a never installed KitchenAid wall-oven for $550. In a previous home I purchased beautiful granite countertops for $1100. You could easily find cabinets, flooring, and appliances on CL.

    If you have time to hunt for bargains, you can definitely install some high quality appliances. I just saw a 36" Miele induction cooktop at my local Habitat ReStore. Good luck!

  • 8 years ago
    Okay, so no chalk paint, but paint them
  • 8 years ago
    @simone - what material are the cabinets? This is a screenshot of your photo with it peeling? I don’t honestly think you can paint this.. look on craigslist or Facebook marketplace or contact habitat for humanity to see if they have any kitchen cabinets that will fit in your space that are cheap then you have to worry about a counter but if you do a basic Formica type you might be able to get something that is in stock or a leftover to fit?
  • 8 years ago

    How many cabs have that peeling laminate? They look otherwise intact and I would try some judicious gluing to restock those loose areas for the short term appearance. Paint the walls, new lighting fixtures and install those new appliances. It will do for now.


  • 8 years ago

    Dare I say those cabs might be laminate, but they're actually kind of cool! I'd try to change the hardware color/style and see if that makes you somewhat pleased.

    That wall color is somehow making the room look more dark. Perhaps asses some really high quality led light bulb, or a new fixture in some part of that room. But I'd repaint regardless. I think something teal or aqua might enhance the color of the cabs.

    I put up some fun peel and stick backsplash in a rental place once - that might be within your budget and help with the blah's.

    I totally understand budgetary constraint. To me, however, a decor re-do and needing a new appliance are very separate line items. That cook top looks like it has had it. Replacing it, though, might not feel like much of a good deal. How long is she planning on staying there? I've happily spent a few hundred dollars on mini-remodels in places I've lived for a couple of years. She needs to decide if she's interested in long-term investment and doing things item by item, or just a quick decor pick-me-up. I would never suggest, for example, putting WEEKS into painting cabinets unless I planned to enjoy them a long while.

  • 8 years ago

    The cook top appears to just have a lot of wear in the knob area. If it still works the knobs and trim can be removed and that area can be taped off, the area roughed up and painted with Rustoleum.

    Nowhere in my universe would DIY room painting cost 2K. Apparently the person who posted that remark has ZERO DIY skills.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yeah, but then you have to buy the materials too. To go with the labor.

  • 8 years ago

    I would try to spiff up the existing cooktop because it's an open burner design.

    Maybe they've improved but I've had three different closed/ seal burner cookers and they were all dreadful to cook on. As well as ultimately being more of a PITA to clean than the old style open burners with the removable drip pans like the OP's.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I'm not an all-or-nothing girl when funds are limited. I had to make-do with my own kitchen for 32 years before gutting it! But I did make it look nice during that time.

    I had wood veneer cabinets and I did paint them myself (husband and I did this). Did they look like a factory job? Of course not! But they looked a LOT better than the ugly veneer. I used oil-based enamel to paint them - actually did them twice over the years, when I changed the colors in my kitchen. They wore very, very well. Oil-based enamel is key to this.

    I also replaced all the pulls and put in new solid brass ones. I still liked them 32 years later, but did not reuse them on my new cabinets.

    I also put in Glacier White Corian countertops. I DID re-use them in my kitchen gut! The layout of my kitchen is pretty much set in stone, the exception being able to move my refrigerator from one wall to another. We cut off the long countertop on the one wall (yes, Corian fabricator can do this!), and we added a 5 ft piece to the wall where the refrigerator had been. Since it was Corian, the match was perfect.

    Over the years, I also replaced the stainless double kitchen sink with an integrated large, single Corian one - yes, it was able to be done without replacing the Corian countertop. This was saved and re-used in the gut job - even reused the faucet I had bought 13 years earlier.

    I also added pot lights in the ceiling and under cabinet lighting about 19 years after the original re-do. Both were used in the gut job.

    I also put down hardwood floors - they don't go under the cabinets. In retrospect, I kind of wish I'd taken these up and put in new ones that go under the cabinets, but only I know they don't and they're fine.

    So, yes, one can do these things gradually if the right materials are used and if one understands what one eventually wants in the kitchen. Is it perfect? No, but in my case, it made that tacky old kitchen look pretty darned good for those 32 years. I never walked in my kitchen and felt it was totally letting down the rest of my house.


  • 8 years ago
    My kitchen needs a total redo. I tore my ceramic tile floor out...wait for it... almost 13 years ago. Just started our second business after 30 years. Money has been tight for a very long time, obviously. We remodeled/gutted this house 30 years ago. All was new (dh and I did much of the work ourselves). So we are way past due for a new kitchen (it's been wallpapered, then painted since 3x's). We have been slowly tackling the rest of the house, and getting closer to the kitchen! So, needless to say, I am a scrapper at finding items I can redo and add to my home as I (mostly me) renew it! If you want to, at the least freshen your kitchen, I think you could do a fair amount with $2,000 if you spend it right. And that's even a lot to me to spend on "lipstick" for a temporary face lift. Sounds like a fun challenge to me! Keep us posted!
  • 8 years ago

    I am very glad you are getting decent and encouraging advice from so many. Ignore the negative. And enjoy your grandmother. Watching my own children, all grown now, spending time with my mom and dad is very precious.

  • 8 years ago

    Simone W - hello!!! does the cooktop work? this link is for Tappan replacement parts maybe new knobs and the trim plate? Repaint the kitchen a light cream color; home depot sells cheap lino tiles if you want to redo the floor.. add some colorful accessories and call it done until you are ready to redo the kitchen.. sometimes a few little things can brighten an old kitchen up and grandma would be happy.. :-)

    here is a link about how to find cheap / free cabinets..https://www.thespruce.com/secrets-to-finding-cheap-kitchen-cabinets-1822039



  • PRO
    8 years ago
    .
    S Wil thanked mdln
  • 8 years ago

    You can make your money go twice as far if you learn some DIY skills, because you won't have to pay for labor.

    I'd suggest finding a set of used cabinets on your local CL and installing them. Golden oak are the most common, which isn't au courant, but will be better than diagonal fake-wood laminate.

    We just helped my DSS/DIL renovate a cheap old house, and they paid $400 for a set of cabinets that fit into their space (you have to get measurements of everything in the listing and then see if it fits), and just had to buy one upper and one pantry cabinet to fill it all in (golden oak cabinets are still in stock at the big box stores). They spray painted them with pewter spray paint (I had my doubts, but it turned out better than I expected) and will put stock laminate counters on them. Used appliances on CL as well (people are often selling whole packages of white/black as they're remodeling to SS).

    There may be some electrical or plumbing work, if you don't like the current layout.

  • 8 years ago
    Here are photos of the dishwasher and oven. Sorry for the delay!
  • 8 years ago
    The cabinets all have the laminate peeling. I have no idea what material under it. Looks like the stuff cork boards are made of to me.
  • 8 years ago
    Yes the cooktop still works but she just said it’s the first thing she wants to replace. She thinks it’s hazardous. Thank you all for the CL & habitat and the ikea suggestions. I had no idea you could buy things for habitat.
  • 8 years ago

    Keep your eyes on Craigslist and Freecycle in your area. I just saw these listed on my local CL for FREE! With a little work and maybe some paint (I can't tell if they need painting), something like this could work well for you.

  • 8 years ago

    Looks like the stuff cork boards are made of to me.

    Particle board probably.