sfvrose

Minifloras & FLOR

Sylvia Weiser Wendel

Hi all,

I asked For Love of Roses to send my five minfloras after 1/1/18. Well ... Happy New Year.

Front row: Unbridled, Crystal Palace, Deja Blu. Back:Buttercream (has a bud!) and Hello Sunshine.

I wrote Richard. He responded almost immediately and said, in essence, let's see how they do and "if we have to" (i.e. if the roses die, I suppose) they will replace them in January.

Fair enough. I'm going to follow their instructions to the letter.

I poked pencil-sized holes, 4 of them, in each plastic-wrapped plant. Then I put them where the sun doesn't shine ... under a canopy, darkest part of the yard, on a nice little metal stand out of dogs' reach. I am supposed to check them for dryness every day for 3 to 5 days, and water if necessary.

After that, another 3-5 days getting a little more sun each day, up to what will be their usual quota. Then they should go into pots (I bought 3-gallon ones) for a year.

That last step: one does not just dump them into the pots. Oh no. FLOR recommends planting on
an "overcast day, when rain is expected that night or the next morning." Well, around here that would be January -- which is when I wanted them -- but in lieu of that they suggest planting an hour before sunset, and out of sunlight of course.

And I thought I had nothing to do - ! ;)

Seriously, I'm looking forward to nurturing these little guys. I have visions of glorious pots bursting with color.

Anyone else gone this route?

• Sylvia Weiser Wendel

Oops. Curse of the Missing Pictures. Here's the first one:

Front: Unbridled, Crystal Palace, Deja Blue. Rear: Buttercream and Hello Sunshine.

and the one with the stand.

• Sylvia Weiser Wendel

Off topic, but here's Darcey Bussell, who was potted at the old place. She loves the heat!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Happy new year lol. I didn't even get instructions with mine so I assumed they needed to get out of their plastic into a pot they look just fine I've had them out for about a week and a 1/2 in morning Sun with afternoon shade and they seem to be taking off I didn't realize I had to do this whole weird thing for weeks at a time I just put him in the pot

Good luck to us both

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Hope I didnt blow it

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Here is Memphis Music, finally taking off.

• Sylvia Weiser Wendel

Kristine, I love Memphis Music! And you've had it for a week and a half?? Wow.

I looked at the instructions because Richard referenced them. They are online at FLOR's site (under "Rose Info"). I figured I had better pay attention, since I was receiving the plants under such adverse circumstances. In your cooler climate, you should be fine, but here the predicted high today is 89, and that's a cold snap - it will be back in the very high nineties next week. We're lucky if we see rain before Thanksgiving -- or at all. Last year there were exactly 5 rainy days all winter, and four of them were consecutive and at the end of March (which is when we moved - but that's another story). No word on a possible El Nino this year, so I'm assuming the worst.

I want these roses to succeed, so I'm dotting the i's and crossing the t's. I'll be so happy if they work out as well as yours! How wide across are your MM blooms (approx.?)

Thanks,

Sylvia

• Rockridge Rose
    Dr.Tommy Cairns, chessies favorite, heather sproul, donerail, the lighthouse, swirly pop, irresistible
    Sylvia Weiser Wendel thanked Rockridge Rose
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Good ones rockridge, cant wait to see pictures.

My Memphis Music is a few months old. I planted it in May. It has really taken off.

We are in the 90s as well. No rain for us either. But days are cool in the morning which is great

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Memphis Music with a solid yellow rose.

• seil zone 6b MI

Richard had some health issues a while back and things at FLOR got WAY behind in his absence. They are slowly catching up so I'm not surprised at the delay. I waited over a year for two I had ordered. But when they came they looked a lot like yours. They took off pretty well and I have no complaints. I didn't do any of that pampering. They went straight into their pots and out into the sun on the patio where the pot garden is.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I vaguely remember many orders ago poking the plastic with a pencil.

I potted them right up this time. They look fine

In a perfect world, yes, it eould be ideal to plant at 72 degrees on an overcast day. But my world and weather are not perfect.

• Sylvia Weiser Wendel

I[m still following orders. I watered them on Friday before leaving town for three days. Now I've started putting them out in the sun -- but not all day, not yet.

I'll pot them up over the weekend.

Unbridled has opened! (center, top shelf). On the top right, Hello Sunshine got a little dried out, but there are healthy canes -- or what I hope will become canes -- emerging just where the plastic ends.

We are expecting 100 degrees tomorrow. I think 2-3 hours in the sun will be it for these guys.

Now I'm kicking myself because I didn't buy Memphis Music!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

If you can still get Memphis Music you should

What a cool rose. It is growing like crazy and tons of buds

Sylvia Weiser Wendel thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Sylvia Weiser Wendel

I'm baaack - and now my minifloras have been potted! Now if I could only get the picture to rotate ...

I never have these problems. Except in Houzz.

• Sylvia Weiser Wendel

I;m trying this again.

That's better. Left to right: Hello Sunshine, Unbridled, Deja Blu, Buttercream, and Crystal Palace.

We are back in Triple Digit Town this weekend. The next week will tell the tale.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I cant wait to see pictures of Hello Sunshine

That rose always makes me smile

• Sylvia Weiser Wendel

Kristine, HS looked a little battered by the heat, but it is a nice-looking plant with new branches coming. I'm hoping for a fall flush!

Hello Sunshine was a difficult choice - I love blends, and FLOR has so many attractive ones. It was between HS and Grand Ol Opry, and HS won out.

Anyone grow Grand Ol Opry?

Thanks all.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

It sounds like we all have different ones

It will be fun to compare.