Software
Houzz Logo Print
darren_harwood

New rose bed plan

8 years ago

Thoughts??


New rose bed in order of planting... Roald Dahl, William & Catherine, Lady Emma Hamilton, Winchester Cathedral, Roald Dahl. #planning #gardening #rosegarden #roses #davidaustinroses



Comments (16)

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you dearest Trish! One gains so much pleasure and joy from gardening.... <3


    Sending lots of love to you xx

  • 8 years ago

    That is such a great combination that I am tempted to copy it for my next project. I think it will look fabulous. Lola.

  • 8 years ago

    Love your choices :)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The color palette is great! arrangement is personal taste (I like grouping by color). One thing I wonder is whether you will stagger the plantings, as mature plant height might vary? It seems like LEH might remain short/compact compared to WC?

  • 8 years ago

    I love the color combination. It looks great and Darren, your garden is gorgeous. I absolutely love the selection you have there. Looking forward to next yr to see how it grows :)

    I am betting ....... BEAUTIFUL ..hehe :)

  • 8 years ago

    I planted Roald Dahl this year. I am very impressed with it. Lots of flowers, nice foliage and no blackspot.

  • 8 years ago

    I don't see how you can possibly go wrong with this color combination. I like the fact that the two white roses are not alike. We definitely have to see this again, Dave, when your planting takes off and these roses are all in bloom.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I think it looks lovely. I've never grown those particular roses, but the colors each enhance the others.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Darren,

    You have chosen great colors that combine phenomenally.

    How big is your new bed? How many bushes will it contain? What is its shape? Is it a walk around bed, or does it have a front and back? Are you eliminating/modulating an existing bed to accommodate your new bed, or are you removing turf and starting a fresh bed from scratch?

    I, and I know your fellow Roses Forum friends, would love to see a step by step, visuals of course, of you creating your new bed. If you could oblige me (us), what a splendid gift to us it would be!

    Moses

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Love the colors, but let me make one suggestion.

    Just as you picked two different white roses, I suggest you pick two different yellow ones. Roald Dahl and Charlotte, for instance, instead of 2 Roald Dahls..

    See Charlotte.

    Query: I'm not familiar with Roald Dahl--it looks yellow in the pic above, but helpmefind.com lists it as peach-colored. And the David Austin site says its "beautiful orange-red buds open to cupped peach rosettes" and, further down the page, calls it apricot-colored. Which color are you going for? I assumed you meant yellow with a hint of peach or apricot, not peach/apricot with a hint of yellow.

    Personally, I like the idea of predominately yellow roses at either end, but then I adore yellow roses. Other ideas would probably work just as well.

    Can't wait to see your new bed in bloom next year.

    Kate

    ETA: Molineux is another good yellow that sometimes has apricot highlights--but it might be a bit shorter than you are looking for. Excellent rose, at any rate.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I'd sequence them so there was white in the center, orange at the ends and yellow between. So then the mix might instead be one white rose, two yellow and two orange. And definitely include companion plants in the cool color range such as blue and purple. Ones with spike-shaped flowers to balance all those round flowers being presented by the roses (a good percentage is half of one shape and half of the other).

  • 8 years ago

    I LOVE the color combination. I just hope the growth habits work together as DA's can be so different with that from one rose to the next. But very pretty color scheme.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I second that - they look great together! Will the plantings be linear or staggered? The white varieties you’ve chosen will be much taller than the rest but if they are staggered then they could be placed at the back and the others at the front. If this is a linear planting, Bolero is an option for one that stays within the 3-4 foot range as the others do. Just an option :)

    I had to redo the color scheme of a bed that has a short hedge of Bolero in it. I was hesitant at first to place a white with apricot, salmon, and yellow roses (I would normally select a cream variety) but it really does work well. The pink blush that Bolero sometimes provides blends with the pink blush of Molineux (yellow) and apricots/salmons (Colette, Polka).

  • 8 years ago

    Everything I wrote disappeared after I posted but in short...I think the color scheme works great! Will the plantings be staggered or linear? If linear, I am concerned about the height of the white varieties chosen. Bolero is an option for a white that would stay within the 3-4 foot range of the others.

  • 8 years ago

    From everything I've read Bolero seems to be an excellent and very beautiful rose. Can't wait to see the finished product. Blue and purple companion plants would be lovely. Salvias and penstemons are two that come to mind which have the required spiky flowers.