Beachem is back
Hi all, I’m back after multiple emergencies. I hope everyone has been well.
My FiL fell from a tree and cracked his head. I had to deal with taking care of the in laws then right after he recovered and I got home, they got hit by a hit and run driver. He got several crushes vertebrae and multiple strokes. Two days later, their front hallway fell in from a ceiling flood. It took out a partition wall as well with lots of breakages.
Long story short, I’ve dealt with two floods in their house back to back and rebuilt their dining room, kitchen etc twice. Add in the drama of abestos and incompetent contractors (asbestos), this thing and the medical issues dragged on for all the months I’ve been gone.
It’s still not completely done but I’m taking a break from my FiL since it’s 98% finished. He’s getting worse day by day as he finds it hard to communicate and he screams at me all the time in rage. With the diminished capacity from the strokes, he associates me with all the bad things: floods, construction, weeks at a hotel, inability to find words, etc...
I’ve been taking the hits for the contractors as well for months as FiL refused to pay for jobs unless they go way out of the scope of work to do extra things that he thought were in the scope.
I can endure a lot but my capacity needs repairing every so often. I also need to finish my own kitchen after years of not being done.
Lessons for you all out there. If your house flood from broken pipes and it’s old, repipe the whole house. My FiL refused to do so after I gave him my diagnosis and sure enough, right after we finished painting, the kitchen flooded and we had to start all over Out of Pocket. He agreed to repipe then refused to do so two days later. Even the plumber who repair the pipes told us that we‘ll have another broken pipe soon.
The third flood is in is in our future and insurance won’t cover it since it’s from delayed maintenance. I’ve told my in laws that I’m not going to handle the next flood but my BiL will probably flake out and dump it on me again.
I now have time to do things but geez GW redesign on the mobile platform sucks. It makes me not want to be on the forum. I can’t figure out where everyone is. I’m not sure if I’m even posting this in the correct area.
Comments (22)
- 8 years ago
Beachem, I responded in the other post. Just wanted to say, DH and I are so busy on the reno, though I'm over in the Cooking forum quite a lot (they've helped me so much with appliances in a temporary kitchen, among other things!), I've not been able to visit regularly, and I don't recognize most here now. Seems a lot of people I knew are MIA - most likely renovating : )
BTW, you did post in the correct area.
...give me a day or two, I've a list of gadgets for you to buy. Just kidding!!! Again, sure missed you. Take care.
- 8 years ago
So glad to see you!! Wow you have been through a lot though, take care of yourself and welcome back :)
Related Professionals
Port Saint Lucie Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · Savannah Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · San Antonio Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · Grand Island Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · Stockton Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · California Kitchen Remodelers · Fresno Kitchen Remodelers · San Francisco Kitchen Remodelers · Santa Fe Kitchen Remodelers · Victoria Kitchen Remodelers · Rolla Custom Countertops · Lancaster Custom Countertops · Murrieta Custom Countertops · Lewiston Custom Countertops · Medford Custom Countertops- 8 years ago
Welcome back, even though GW is now so different. I, too, am sorry you've had so many tough issues. I don't have as much time as I once did for GW, but I hope to see you around. :)
- 8 years ago
Beachem, glad to hear from you. You have had more than your share of woes. Not fair that they were dumped on you. You are smart to give yourself a break from you FIL. Time to refuel your batteries.
- 8 years ago
I've wondered where you were and how you were doing. Welcome back! I hope things settle down for you.
- 8 years ago
Good to see an "old" name! Sorry about all the issues with the in-laws and hope your FIL at least stabilizes his moods and the floods hold off for a few years. You might want to get a POA set up and ready to go if FIL gets worse ...
- 8 years ago
That's more than one person should ever have to bear. You don't need your strength tested like this!
Missed you - hopefully some kind voices and familiar "faces" can give you a sense of happiness and help you relax a little.
- 8 years ago
Good grief, what a storm you have gone through! Hang in there, 2019 must be better!
- 8 years ago
Welcome back! It has been a long time. I’m just recently back “regularly” myself. You’ve been through an unimaginable wringer, and it sounds as if you’ve sacrificed a lot for your FIL. Very sorry you’re bearing the brunt of his ire and irrationality, however gracefully you’re doing it.
- 8 years ago
Wow, you hang in there. And this is flood/hurricane season. Be good to yourself you have been through so much already. Sending positive thoughts, prayers and good vibes your way for happy times ahead.
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
beachem!!! I am rarely on the site these days. It was lovely to see your name pop up as I scrolled through. What tough times you have been through, I've thought of you often and hoped things were ok. It sounds like your family has been through incredibly tough times - I can only imagine how hard it's been. Do what you can and step away when you have to. As I tell my kids - JSS. Just Survive Somehow. (If you're not familiar, it's a reference to a Walking Dead episode -we're all fans).
Hope that Florence is nowhere near you all and best wishes to all in her path.
beachem
Original Author8 years agoThanks all. My next project is to convince FiL to get an MRI so we can correctly diagnose the problems and do therapy. DH is scared to talk to him as he blows up and refuses.
Legal representation is next and DH has to talk to him about it. I’ve set everything up but he’s reluctant to deal with it as his dad gets super irrational now. I’m not sure what we will do if he won’t change his trust and then loses all cognitive abilities. I don’t want to do conservatorship.
As to GW - I’m not sure how posting works now. It took this post two days to show up. Not sure if posting for weekly topics will be seen. I can test next week.
Is there a need for discussion and connections any more as the changes seems to have reduced members a lot.
- 8 years ago
Welcome back, you’ve been missed. I hope things get better for you - you’ve been through so much, and it sounds like there’s still no end in sight. I hope this forum gives you some enjoyment to distract from all the burdens you are shouldering. We all appreciate you and value your contributions here!
- 8 years ago
Beachem, I find some of my posts go through right away while others take a couple hours to a day or two (as you've found). It's a pain, yes.
Sure hope things improve, I can't imagine having to go through getting appointed guardianship. Hang in there : )
Yay! I'm recognizing people again! oldbat2be, I'm currently cooking in a temp kitchen (you advised me quite a bit with that) - thanks for your help! It's not fun, but I'm managing - actually doing well! beachem
Original Author8 years agoOh hey, sorry it took so long to respond. I can’t see my post at all no matter how much I scrolled (two weeks back). I have to do an active search using the title. That also only worked after three days from original posting.
It’s lovely to “see” some long time friends like you guys and Buehl.
- 7 years ago
Beachem, I missed this when you posted, but saw you comment on another thread. So sorry for all that you have gone through. We were worried about you! Hope you get the,chance to work on your own kitchen, you deserve it!!
- 7 years ago
Beachem, I’ve just come back after being gone for more than a year. Somebody was talking about Blue Star appliances and it got me wondering about you and how your kitchen is coming along. Not well from the sound of it.
I’m so sorry to hear about all your trials! It’s 2 months since you posted this and I hope in the meantime you’ve gotten either some rest or some progress or even both!
- 7 years ago
So happy to see you again! I was just thinking about your beet blood, pretty sure that was one of your threads.
Glad to hear you will be doing something for yourself. As caregivers, it's often hard to remember that we need rejuvenated too.
It took me awhile, but I only use the phone now. You'll get the hang of it
- 7 years ago
Heatheron40 - ah how different things were around here a year ago. I miss those KAW threads!
beachem
Original Author7 years ago@kate, town and heather thank you for your thoughts. I’m working on the kitchen one slow step at a time. Still running up to in laws several days a week and then cooking in between. (Beet blood was me).
DH is on a keto kick so I’ve had to spend time experimenting on food. He also wants certain vitamins. Since I have to eat it too, I’m not settling for the recipes on the internet.
I find it ridiculous that recipes full of chemicals and tastes weird is considered healthy and delicious. It’s ironic that I’ve gained massive weight on an American diet despite eating an average of 500-800 calories a day.
I‘m slowly converting back to my old diet which is lots of herbs, fat, delicious fresh food and homemade. I just have to amend a bit for hubby’s keto preference. No real French baguette for me since he gets food envy.
I got the sink plumbed. Yay. Hubby is so happy I’m not washing dishes in our bathroom sink or the powder room sink anymore. At this point, I’ve got to install the hood, makeup air, UCL, one missing cabinet and dishwasher along with some cosmetic items like panels and painting.
It took me a bit since I had to veneer a bunch of stuff and that takes several days to dry. Still have more to veneer.
The problem is that I’ve completely forgotten things because of the long hiatus. For example, I‘m still rememberIng how to do the electrical for the UCL.

townlakecakes