jill_gay

Windows--is this "normal production?"

J G
last year

Super long story, but our builder ordered windows for our custom home and assured us that we could have them painted whatever color we wanted. The results were totally unexpected. When I questioned the result, the builder said they just needed to be cleaned. Of course, since the paint went behind the grids, cleaning wasn't possible. Several men from the company who produced the windows visited our house to determine what was wrong. One of the men actually said that it was the worst window job he had seen in 30 years. Six weeks ago, they told us they were going to replace all the sashes and that production would make up a sample for us to approve.

Today, the window company's owner met with us and told us that the window manufacturers had decided not to replace our windows because they had determined that this was standard production. Every single window in our house has paint that seeped behind the grids. He told us that he felt sure that they just needed a good scraping. We told him that the painter had tried and a professional window cleaner had come to the house to see if he could do the job. He would not take on the job because he did not want to waste our money. He said replacing them would be the only option.

Today, the window company owner took a new scraper to demonstrate that the windows just needed scraping and saw for himself that it only makes it look worse. The pic I'm attaching shows that even with careful scraping, parts of the wood seem to break away.

We are distraught and don't know what to do. This is our dream home and we have put everything into it. I ask you...does this look like standard production? Every single window in our house looks like the pics I'm attaching.

• just_janni
    last year

That is an abomination.

Time to go up the chain at the window manufacturer (assuming they are the ones that did the painting) Pictures, fact statements to their Quality VP, Manufacturing VP, Customer Service executive, etc - look online for contact info. Consider also using social media to contact them.

• doc5md
    last year

Wow. That looks awful!

• greenfish1234
    last year
    last modified: last year

Omg I don't even understand what I am looking at. All I know is that it is Horrible. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Do not accept responsibility for this.

• jn3344
    last year

What manufacturer is this? Absolutely not acceptable.

• millworkman
    last year

Are these windows with surface applied exterior muntin only? No spacer bar nor interior muntin? Not really clear exactly what I am seeing.

Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

" . . . the window manufacturers had . . . determined that this was standard production."

That give you permission to reveal the name of the manufacture. I am professionally curious about the name of the manufacturer.

• millworkman
    last year

I was curious about the manufacturer as well. What material are these made of?

Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I e-mailed the company and requested a drawing showing a section through the window. They responded with acknowledgement that my e-mail was received and will get back to me within 2-3 business days.

Some window manufacturers have the glass blackened where the back side of the sash frame would be visible, or the coordinate the alignment of the edge spacer bar of the glass with the inner edge of the sash frame. It appears this company has not had this happen before, and hopefully they will see it as opportunity to improve their product. How your project is addressed will depend upon the company's integrity.

• Therese R
    last year

following-

• greenfish1234
    last year

Wait the painter didn't work for the window company?

PPF.
    last year

I would not want painted vinyl windows. What is the warranty on the finish?

If you wanted a dark color, a window like the Andersen 100 series would have been a better choice.

• millworkman
    last year

I'm more confused than I was earlier? Who painted the windows? If the "painter" painted the windows why were you asking the window manufacturer about the painted finish?

Sophie Wheeler
    last year

A manufacturer will never warrant site painted anything. Much less site painted vinyl. This is all on your idjut GC.

• wdccruise
    last year

We know you are "distraught" and "brokenhearted" but you really haven't explained what we are looking at. Every window -- we only considered fiberglass (Marvin, Enerlux, Inline, etc.) -- we considered for our condo building renovation was pre-painted by the manufacturer and we never expect to repaint them. Are you saying you purchased windows and then had somebody paint them after they were installed? (The warranty on our Enerlux windows specifically states that refinishing the windows voids the warranty.)

• greenfish1234
    last year

So the window manufacturer says their vinyl windows can be painted? Then GC's painter gets paint from window company and it is wrong? It sounds fishy but in this case I would say that is window company's bad.

But the company says, you (italics) *can* paint them, like, it could be done, then GC sends painter out there with a can o' paint to cover his ordering mistake and it ends up a hot mess? GC's bad.

i am a crap negotiator but guess who paid for all (ok most) of GC's mistakes during my build? Just be prepared. You may pay for it one way or another :(

• greenfish1234
    last year

By the way, Flo said something recently and I got to thinking... I wish I had made every. Single. Decision. Before pen hit paper. I got hit for an installation upgrade for a bad tile install because I chose (and ordered and paid directly for) marble! (Like they could have done a worse job if it had been ceramic. Doubt it....). When building we spend so much time learning and choosing on the fly that we spend a year (at least) in a constant state of panic and finger pointing. No way to live. Too soon dead, too late wise...

• millworkman
    last year
    last modified: last year

This instance is no fault of the window manufacturer (other than selling a vinyl window that needs to be field finished), and I agree they would not be on the hook to not replace anything. I have NEVER heard of a vinyl window that was sold that was intended to be field finished, period. The builder thinking it would not run behind the grids is just plain ludicrous. The muntins are applied with a VHB tape and no way no chnace are you cleaning behind them. In fact removing the muntins in many, many cases will break the glass as that tape is super strong.

• artemis_ma
    last year

Definitely not acceptable. They look like fifty year old windows, that have never been maintained. And everyone involved (painter, GC, window company) is going to be passing the buck, as evidenced from what you're saying above.

If the window company doesn't warrantee off-their-site painted product - you need to go after the GC and his painter for replacement.

I'm sorry about this mess, it is wholly not acceptable.

• just_janni
    last year

This is all on your builder. And he's not going to be responsive. And I suspect you are at a real legal disadvantage because you don't have specs in writing, email, etc. I have no idea how one would fix this at this stage either.

Sophie Wheeler
    last year
    last modified: last year

The window manufacturer has zero to do with this dispute. Other than telling you that their warranty is now void due to the builder’s idiot actions. This is all on your builder. And you will need a lawyer. And all new windows.

• greenfish1234
    last year

If you replace the windows try to salvage them for habitat or free on Craigslist. The waste makes me nauseous.

Ultra Windows
    last year
    last modified: last year

Millworkman is correct is all that he said. The window manufacturer has no liability here.

As a side note, the OP has been responsible in not naming the manufacturer, as this is how companies often get slandered unfairly on this forum and others. Thank you for resisting the irresponsible request to name and shame the manufacturer before the facts of the situation were understood.

Unless the OP chose their own painter, the GC/builder owns this problem and should make it right.