Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsa2016

African violet companion plants

Elsa
5 years ago

Hi,
I bought some succulent recently and will put together with the rest of AV. I don't have a lot of room in my house. So, the succulent will stay in the same windowsill with the av. Before I put them together, am I need to treat the succulent, like spray, just in case there is some mite, etc hiding in there. The succulent comes in barefoot, I guess I don't need to worry about mealy bug?
Any advice please.
Thanks
Elsa

Comments (10)

• judy musicant
    5 years ago

I actually have a large succulent arrangement in the same room as my African Violets and orchids - you can see it in the right corner of the room in the photo below. I got it last year. It's grown into a monster. I didn't spray it when I got it, although, that's probably not a bad idea. I am watering it right now with Bonide Annual Tree and Shrub insect control with 1.47% Imidacloprid only because I'm treating the violets for a thrips problem. I've not seen any sign of insects or insect damage on the succulents, however. Just hoping to prevent it. Good luck.

Elsa thanked judy musicant
  • terrilou
    5 years ago

Thanks for showing your setup. Its very appealing and what a variety of plants. I see several different orchid varieties. Nice!

• judy musicant
    5 years ago

Thanks Terrilou. I used to have many more orchids, but they slowly gave way to African

Thanks Terrilou. I used to have more orchids, but the African violets slowly took over.

I do have a couple of cattleyas, paphiopedilums, oncidium types a dendrobium and of course phalenopsis. A few photos are below; (sorry for the double, I couldn't delete one)

Cattleya

Paphiopedilum (ladyslipper)

small phalenopsis

• terrilou
    5 years ago

Wow, beautiful plants! Love the cattleya, always my favorite type. I had many orchids in the greenhouse at my former home. Now, I mostly grow violets and the other gesneriads with a few orchids and bromeliads for old times sake.

Terri

• Earle
    5 years ago

Wow! What is that purple and white phalenopsis? Never seen one colored like that!

• dbarron
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes, it caught my eye yesterday. I haven't seen one like that other than the dye absorbed ones they sell, which by pattern, that obviously isn't.

• judy musicant
    5 years ago

Glad you like it, guys. It's called Phal. Jia Ho Summer Love "Little Pixie". I bought it at an orchid show last February in Holmdel NJ. I just looked it up on line, and if you want it, you could try contacting Odom's Orchids, or Taida Orchids. Enjoy.

• Earle
    5 years ago

Thanks for the speedy response, Judy and many thanks for the contact info. You have a beautiful plant there.

Earle

• dbarron
    5 years ago

I looked at both, and Odom's is not "Little Pixie", and rather distinct from your form. Taida is a japanese firm, probably not going to be ordering from there.

However, thanks for the info. I just accquired a phal violacea hybrid, looking forward to yellow and purple blooms in a year or so and a phaiocalanthe, so I'm probably on orchid buying time out for this year.