0

salvia stolonifera - non-blooming

Campanula UK Z8
October 17, 2018

This is the second season of growing this (from seed) but annoyingly, despite a gloriously hot summer, there is a plethora of foliage and not a single flower. I enjoyed the late-flowering delicate orange flowers last year, although I kept it under glass in the unheated greenhouse. It looks terrifically healthy, growing alongside an orange calceolaria and delphinium nudicaule, so reluctant to just toss.

• cabinaddress58

The problem has been the "gloriously hot summer"! This Salvia comes from shady and misty regions. Usually it thrives in the UK, but lack of rain and intensely hot sunshine caused it to suffer this year. I have 2 plants, one in shade, and one not in shade. The one in shade has flowered well, but the sun burnt the buds of the other one, which is only starting to flower now. Also, stolonifera must not dry out so frequent watering was needed this year, not that that is a substitute for real rain. Some other cloud forest Salvia were 2 months late to flower....guaranitica for example.

• Campanula UK Z8

Oh, the dilemma deepens. cabin address. East Anglia is not known for being particularly misty in any season...and although I can provide shade, I struggle to manage the moisture requirements. Annoying, as apart from the blooming fail, it has been a robust little plant so I am inclined to hang on a little longer - I have a spot underneath a large tree paeony, currently filled with francoa and thalictrums...where it might manage the odd display.

Otoh, the coccineas and various shrubby sages have been having a stellar summer...and showing no sign of slowing yet.