0

Garden container pricing

Donna
October 19, 2018

I have been doing containers for a customer for a year. Designing planting and maintaining. I have absolutely no idea what I should be charging. I've been looking for help for a long time. I know to add up cost, lobor driving and supplies. But if there some kind of formula to follow because I haven't a clue. I don't know how much to mark up and how much to charge for each visit. She has 2 hanging pots 2 window boxes 4 28 inch pots and 2 -12 inch pots. Any help or advice is much needed. I'm panicking because I know I'm losing money and I have another that is waiting on her bill

The first order of business would be to determine whether or not you really are "losing money" and then correct that. Something is off if you are not at least breaking even and even then, that is really not acceptable for a home based business.......a profit margin is key :-)) Time/labor costs would be the first place to look and are the easiest to adjust upward, although you can make upward adjustments anywhere!!

And do you charge a design fee as well? Be sure to include that with any new container plantings you do.

The Professional Gardening forum has had numerous discussion on this topic over the years and I've linked to a forum search that lists a bunch. You may find reading through them helpful.

FWIW, I do no ongoing maintenance but I often do container plantings as part of my landscape design services if the client wants them. I charge my hourly design rate and travel and do mark up all supplies or plants I purchase by at least 50%. There is no way I'd do any of this if I weren't making money on it!!

• Cathy Kaufell

My daughter is a professional gardener. She charges $60/Hr wether it's garden or container installation or maintenance. Zone 6 PA This time of year she's doing lots of seasonal decorations.

• Donna

Thanks,.....both of for helping me. I like the 50 % mark up. After sitting here all day pondering on it I charged 35 % mark up hen 30 for travel. See I'm so far off. I feel like such an idiot. I'm going to look into that ok this one was....what 115