0

winterizing a fiddle leaf fig

danathan
October 26, 2018

I bought a fiddle leaf fig in the spring here in Northern New Jersey and It's been on the patio all summer. I have been protecting it at night lately. It's time to bring it in full time and I'm terrified it will drop all it's leaves. What is the best way to make the transition?

• Dave

Stick it right up in front of your brightest, unobstructed window.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

Do it sooner rather than later so that the change in temperature isn't as much of a shock.

I read something recently, possibly in one of the forums here, that it's more a greater discrepancy in soil temperature between outdoors and indoors than the drop in light that accounts for how well plants transition to being indoors for the winter. I live in rural western Canada where winter is long and we can get frosts in September, so I always wanted to leave my plants outside as long as possible, covering them or moving them into the garage at night when really cold temps were expected. This year I brought them all in sooner, while it was still quite warm outside, esp overnight, and the difference was noticeable. Very little leaf drop and other signs of stress.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a

Search in the House Plant forum as that would be a much better place to get advise.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)

DirtGuy:

FYI: Pls. look up top, it's posted at both Figs & Houseplants.

• danathan

thanks everyone. I brought it in out of sheer panic and surprisingly it only dropped two small leaves. I don't have a lot of bright indirect light in the house but it seems to be fine so far.