Software
Houzz Logo Print
danilidiak

Backsplash Layout

7 years ago
Hello! I would love to hear you’re opinion on kitchen backsplash layouts I’m considering. Originally I planned to tile the entire wall behind the stove but after marrying two ceilings in a 70 year old home it didn’t come out perfectly level and I’m worried tiling will only accent it. So, I’ve crudely marked up some photos of solutions I’ve thought of. Which layout do you like best? Or do you have other ideas you’d like to share? Also, do you like the tile running horizontally or vertically? I lean towards modern design but I think we have a transitional style going in the kitchen so really I’d like to pick something that appeals to most. Thank you for your time!

Comments (12)

  • 7 years ago
    Another angle
  • 7 years ago
    Your tiles look blue ( cold undertone), to me it doesn't look like the best match with your beautiful counters. Sorry, it's only my opinion.
  • 7 years ago
    I think if those are your two choices, the second would be better. The tile you have chosen has a green/blue cool tone though, and I think will not give you a cohesive look. You may want to explore some other tile options..
  • 7 years ago
    Thank you for your advice! I’m surprised by the comments on the tile color but I picked these out when I was pregnant so I may have been a little off :) Am I missing the mark with this look?
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Return those please? ASAP. You won't like my answer. Ditch the floating shelves entirely. Tile to just under the hood, to the edge of counter TOP. Do the adjacent sink wall at exact same level.

    A simple pale gray subway, or white in an updated more linear size.

    I'm not really feeling the floral valance , tell the truth : ) Bring home samples............ It can't be done online





  • PRO
    7 years ago
    I agree with everyone here regarding the color of the tiles for your backsplash. May be you should consider another choice. You kitchen looks nice!! I would have preferred the entire wall tiled but if you are worried about the crooked ceiling then your second option is best where the tiles go just underneath the floating shelf and up and behind the hood all the way till ceiling.... if you can (if not a price constraint), you may want to consider adding one more shelf above the existing shelf on both sides. The wall space above the existing shelf is looking sparse. Any extra storage space in a kitchen is always a bonus. You may keep glasses, bowls etc on the extra shelf or you may simply decorate it.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I think you should explore other tile options. The design with the tile everywhere except the right top corner looks unfinished imo


  • 7 years ago
    Yes, I was planning to tile behind the sink as well. the bottom of the floating shelves are level with the bottom of the wall cabinets left of the sink. I bought the tile 3 years ago so returning is probably not an option but I love shopping for tile haha so I guess that’s a plus. Maybe this is why I never put them up :)
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Some ideas/choices for backsplash. In the middle is your granite and other 4 are the tile choices.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    @ Danielle,

    Adjustment based on your last comment:

    Lose the floating shelves. Tile at under cabinet level BOTH sides. Buy a STAINLESS back splash and install just behind range, to just under hood. That will enable you to keep all tile at under cabinet height, and allow for a break in the material and differing height of the hood, and blend a less expensive range with hood above it. and give you a stronger focal point.. Sayonara to the valance, I'll blame that on the pregnancy as well : ) As below..just add tile



  • 7 years ago

    It would be helpful to see actual tile by the stone, without the packaging. The paper backing & plastic may throw off the color.