Software
Houzz Logo Print
storybookhome

Need Built-ins Advice

7 years ago
My craft room has an indented section roughly 3/4 the width of the wall (meant for a closet to be installed). Instead of a closet, I’d like to get a built-in made for craft room storage. I’d like floor to ceiling cabinetry and shelving for storage and displays, as well as a rolling library ladder.

Who would I seek out for this kind of project? Is this something a big box like Lowe’s or Home Depot does? A GC? A kitchen cabinet person? Not really sure who to approach. Thanks!

Comments (15)

  • 7 years ago

    I am planning a craft wall in my guest bedroom. I will have a drop down murphy table in the middle with shelves behind. Either side of that will have cabinet doors with drawers below. I will either custom make my own or hire it custom made. However, you could also get the cabinetry that you are probably looking for from a kitchen cabinet line. Think about some of what you have seen even for mudrooms.

    Depending on your budget, start with the big box places, but also look for local custom cabinetry guys.

  • 7 years ago

    A carpenter specializing in cabinetry will be able to create what you want. I think if you try to cobble a solution together from prefab components, you're not going to get quite what you want, it's not going to look as good, and you're not going to be as happy.

  • 7 years ago

    If all you want is cabinets/millwork, go straight to a cabinet company. Some GC's build their own cabinets (another good solution), but you don't want to pay a GC just for them to sub it out to another cabinet company...


    Either should be able to take your dimensions then show you a design in CAD/Sketchup/etc

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Of course, you can have this made, but just remember if you someday want to count this room as a "bedroom" for re-sale, it must have a closet. Can you have something built inside a closet that could be easily removed if this room needed to someday be a bedroom?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Gotta love Ikea!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    We picked and chose items that weren’t specifically for a craft room, and spent a whole day putting it together. ;). It was my husband’s Valentines Day gift to me in 2013. I just hope it moves okay....

  • 7 years ago
    I’m not concerned about it being labeled a bedroom. I haven’t even closed on the house yet so resale is a very distant concern. It’s a den flex room so besides not having a closet it also does not have a door or a standard door entryway. It does however have a large window. I’m planning on getting custom sliding doors for the entrance. As for a closet, my needs are for a bookshelf and storage. Way down the line I could always have a small closet built in for resale if needed. I like vertical storage because the room is not huge and needs to fit my stitching chair, stitching stand, a desk for my computers, and a desk for a sewing/framing/ironing station so floor space is at a premium.
  • 7 years ago

    I like the idea of carefully chosen Ikea stuff. It won't cost nearly what a custom installation would cost, and this is a craft room -- not a main room everyone'll see.

  • 7 years ago
    My experience with Ikea furniture has been somewhat lacking. Lots of bowed shelves and veneer peeling of partial board. People rave about it and I’m glad it works for them. My specific experience has been poor. Plus I don’t really want a ‘white’ craft room and most of that type of furniture only comes in white or black. My current book shelf (which unfortunately won’t fit the needs of the new space) is solid mango wood and steel with each shelf rated for 200lbs. I guess you could say I’m a ‘serious’ heavy duty crafter. I have a professional grade mat cutter that does acrylic and glass and is quite large and heavy. I just want to make sure the furniture is up to the task so I don’t have anything collapsing on me. Based on all the good reviews I was considering looking into Ikea kitchen cabinetry however.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Well...someone has to first design the cabinetry or built-ins, before they can be estimated or built.


    Are you good at that? Or do you have an architect or interior designer who is?


    Or is something assembled from a storage or furniture store good enough?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Ashley, my experience with Ikea is limited, but the items I have bought were solid wood and just fabulous - very well built. Any laminate is at risk of peeling, depending on how it is used/abused.

    Most crafters/sewers do this as a hobby and don't have the money for the king of things you are describing. Ikea works just fine for them. If I made draperies for a living, I would have something custom built that would last for 30 years. Big difference.

  • 7 years ago

    My IKEA craft room has held up very well. It is solid and has never had any issues. I would recommend it.

  • 7 years ago
    a closet company would do it, they have various price points, they plan it with you and the quality is better than ikea even at the lowest price point. I looked into both extensively and at the end, with my project anyway, (cuz I wanted lots of drawers) the closet place was more price effective for the quality. wasn't as high as we thought.
  • 7 years ago

    If you decide to forego the builtins, there's also this collection: Craft furniture