0

Tell me about your UKIGUMO?

rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

I know it is late in the season but a nursery has a 4.5 foot specimen that I am mulling over buying.

I have never seen this variety in person during the growing season and I am interested in your experiences with this JM.

I don't have one myself as I don't care for variegated maples :-) But I am very familiar with it. Very slow growing and never a big tree. Spring color is stunning....full season color depends on siting but is typically very pale......almost white. It really needs more shade than not to show well and avoid any summer leaf scorch. Fall color is variable but usually mostly apricot with some darker speckling.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z6) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

I do appreciate your post 'gg'.

If I purchase it, the spot I have in mind receives very little direct sun.

Here is a picture the nursery sent me of their larger specimen. (Just over 5 feet including the pot).

"very little direct sun" is good!! We had a good sized boxed one at a former nursery where I worked that received no direct sun. It was in a large, shade cloth covered lath house where we displayed all our other shade plants. It maintained an almost pure white, ghostly appearance. Got a lot of comments, as I recall :-) And carried a hefty price tag!

• scottih_z8FL

I have 3 of them, the largest is about 8 feet tall and has been in the ground for greater than 7 years. Here in the southeast, this variety is infamous for not showing its stunning white 'floating cloud' display. One year I got almost one week of about 25 percent white, but that is proving to be irregular at best. So, hopefully you are not in the southeast and are in a climate that can influence the great displays seen in the PNW (My wife requested this variety after seeing stunning stands of them outside a hospital in Washington state).

rouge21_gw (CDN Z6) thanked scottih_z8FL