rayne6girl2

bricks for new house

rayne6girl2
I am building this house and I am
having a hard time envisioning a brick to compliment the house. We have picked a shingle called weatherwood and it has a gray and brown tone. I was thinking about maybe a different color on the turrets. What are your suggestions?

Flo Mangan
    Was your foundation designed with ledge for stone on areas like this? Have you ordered windows with bronze or black frames and mullions? If the answer is yes to those questions you can get close with stone and brick.
    Virgil Carter Fine Art

"...Can my house have this look?..."

If money is no object, you may certainly use stone for the entire exterior. Your house will look like your house, however, not like this house.

• rayne6girl2

I haven’t looked at the plans, but I have picked out windows with a brown frame and mullions. I like the stone and the brick color.

Flo Mangan
    Then take the photo to brick and stone suppliers (usually two different suppliers) and shop around for similar materials. But you have to be sure your foundation is designed for stone. And it depends on what type stone. Are you acting as the GC?
    rayne6girl2 thanked Flo Mangan
  • rayne6girl2

What is a GC?

Flo Mangan
    General Contractor.
  • rayne6girl2

We have a general contractor that I am not pleased with. We are in the process of getting ready to install the fireplaces, bricks and windows. Are you a designer?

Flo Mangan
    Yes and i have done several large homes. I assume you have a contract with this GC? What aren’t you happy about?
  • rayne6girl2

verbal contract and I don’t like their work. I think it is shabby. I want my house to be well built as you can see it looks okay. When I look around at other houses being built I immediately can see the preciseness in other structures.

Flo Mangan

Something doesn't compute here. You are building an approx. 5,000 sq ft home "on a dime"?? Who will warranty this house? Right now, no one. Are you serious?

Mark Bischak, Architect

It could be a very big dime.

• worthy

shabby

Since you brought it up....

From the one distant pic, the housewrap appears reverse-lapped in several locations and the "X" cuts for the windows and the use of housewrap as the primary jamb flashing are no longer considered good practice. But as long as it doesn't rain much in Alabama, you'll be OK.

rayne6girl2 thanked worthy
  • Ashley Smith

To me the 2 story garage totally changed how the house appears. Plus Im surprised no one has mentioned the mcm word.

rayne6girl2 thanked Ashley Smith
  • drdeb1234

mcm as in mid century mod ;-) ?

rayne6girl2 thanked drdeb1234
  • rayne6girl2

I can agree about the wrap.

• Bri Bosh
    Ashley, I said it up above. ;) someone had to...

OP, I’m shocked you’re doing a project of this size on a verbal contract. I’m sorry to say but you’re in for a world of hurt, I think.
    rayne6girl2 thanked Bri Bosh
  • rayne6girl2

What does mcm mean? I have seen this exact house in another state with the garage exactly the same. Adding a room on the garage is not the problem. Very nice house. I contacted Eric about viewing the house in3D and we are going to look at window options for the house where the garage and added bedroom is located. He has assured me he can certainly help with this minor adjustment. I wanted to pick the right brick color and I have a better idea of what I am looking for. I am worried about the exterior of my home. Flo mentioned a timeless look. That is what I want.

• Ashley Smith

Bri, now I see it.:) I could hardly believe I was the only one with those thoughts.

rayne6girl2 thanked Ashley Smith
  • rayne6girl2

Ashley exactly what do you see when you said it totally changes the appearance of the house? The house has changes in the inside as well to reflect what I needed. The roof has a lot of unused space.

• rayne6girl2

Flo I sent you an email to get a copy of your check list .Do you get my request? I would to have a copy on hand. Thanks

• Ashley Smith

I think it gives it more of a top heavy look. JMO. I hope windows help balance it out a bit.

rayne6girl2 thanked Ashley Smith
  • rayne6girl2

What do you think about the brick color? Do you think red is out of date for this house? That was the main concern? Thanks to you guys I feel a little better on my choices now.

• dan1888

Imo red is an old fashioned color not a timeless color for your house. And that's including the 'whitened' reds.

• A Fox

As I said recently on another post, red (as in red clay colors, not unnatural cherry or fire engine reds) is about as classic as you can get. It has literally been around for centuries, and will continue to be around for centuries more. Red may not be the most in fashion at this exact moment, but it's all but guaranteed to come back sooner or later. If you can find houses from 50, 100, 200 years ago that are your chosen color of brick, you can be pretty sure it will always look classic. If the brick that you choose is brand new, and can only be found in the 2010s, there's a high chance that it will fall out of style in 10 years, and it may never come back.

Flo Mangan
    I sent you my checklist. And a message in my email. Did you get it?
    Mark Bischak, Architect

No, I didn't get it.

• rayne6girl2

I am looking for a designer to design a two story closet. Suggestions

• strategery
  • rayne6girl2

Don’t reply if you don’t have any please

• btydrvn

I too am curious what purpose you have in mind for a 2 story closet?...sounds very inconvenient...

• rayne6girl2

Didn’t mean to inconvenience anyone. I do have a purpose. Actually I really needed advice. Stressed about everything and I have decided to delete this post. Thanks

• Holly Stockley

I'm fairly sure Houzz won't allow posts to be deleted after the first few hours. Sorry. Public forums are what they are. If you want to explore the closet issue, you should probably make an entirely new post - but be ready for lots of opinions!

Mark Bischak, Architect

"A two story closet"

Would that be a closet with a stair in it to get to the second story, or a closet with a very tall ceiling (for storing long johns or wedding dresses with a long train?).

My initial thought is "don't", but most everyone has unique needs in a home that need to be met.

• strategery

@rayne6girl2, stop with the soliciting for referrals.

• strategery

Wow, that house is a monstrosity.

• CEM TOSA

@rayne6girl2 Did you ever pick out a brick? Would love to see the outside progress.

• DLM2000-GW

strategery just don't comment. As in ever.

@rayne6girl2 the only 2 story closets I've seen are those with racks that rotate taking the racks at current use level up into the 2nd story area to be stored out of season while bringing the stored items down to current use level. That's a confusing sentence, hope you know what I mean! Is that the type of 2 story closet you're talking about?

• strategery

@DLM2000-GW, have not seen your posts before in these threads. With 8k fluff posts you appear to be a troll. Chance of me listening to your sh$tpost is zero.

• DLM2000-GW

LOL! Carry on strategery. You obviously need the stage.

• rayne6girl2

Strategery you can’t be what Houzz intended for this app.

• rayne6girl2

DLM2000-GW
    I am interested in using stairs. I spoke with an architect and it is very expensive as well. Didn’t know closets could be that sophisticated. Anyway I decided to work with an architect to pursue this project.

• rayne6girl2

Does anyone know the name of the brick and stone?

• strategery

Holy f that's hideous.

• rayne6girl2

Is that the name of the brick?

• btydrvn

rayne....tho’ i agree it is hideous...and appreciate the humor of your retort..the picture is a little too blurry to even discern if it is stone...brick...or?...but....in general it looks sort of daunting to me

• Aussie Bae

There is a blogger who built a home with a 2 story closet. It was beautiful. I think her blog is “the sweetest thing blog”. I am not promoting her, but she has the only 2 story closet I’ve ever seen that is not industrial. Good luck

• rayne6girl2

Thanks

• drdeb1234

Are you still waiting to choose your brick? Maybe it would be a good idea to post a few updated pics of your build

• rayne6girl2

Thanks

• rayne6girl2

Does anyone know the name of this brick?