Software
Houzz Logo Print
caymanbaby29

Deck Railings - are horizontal cables code?

7 years ago

Hello, Came here looking for ideas etc for deck railings and I see a lot of horizontal cable rails coming up. They allow for a lot of visibility to whatever your view is, but I wonder if they are safe with kids (maybe just mine would lol) using them as a ladder to climb? Any thoughts, ideas or experiences with this? Other options would be glass (got to keep clean but also might block more wind) or traditional deck railings... Thanks!

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I believe in 2000 Climb-ability restrictions use to be in the code book but they were removed in 2001 or something like that and have not been listed since then, other than some local jurisdictions may still enforce the use of horizontal railings.

    They did a bunch of studies on this matter and had many meetings on this subject and I think later on they final reached the conclusion to exclude that from the code all together.

    I remember I was a member of ICC at the time and use to get articles on the subject and I think the study's showed that's impossible and most likely undesirable to consider any environment completely “safe” from children’s climbing on something.

    National builders assassination also did a research and the results indicated that falls from open sided floors. decks, etc among young children aged 18 months to 4 yrs account for an estimated 0.032 percent of injuries in that age group and that the incident rate is approximately 2.5 per 100,000 children between 18 months and 4 yrs of age.

    Therefore like i said before some local jurisdiction can still enforce the use of "Ladder Effect" in the railing system.

    With that said that is still a concern for many parents with younger children, especially when you have a party, etc and you have a bunch of kids in the house and it only takes a second for someone to climb the railing, so many parents stay away from installing horizontal railings... I guess a bit of common sense kicks in and it's all comes down to "better safe, then sorry"

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I like the metal and glass better than cable for views I have a 1956 house with the railings from that time that are for sure not up to code now but were grandfathered into our plan. No one ever fell from there in all this time. But we put in the metal and glass around all the lower decking and around the pool

  • 7 years ago

    We are in Ontario, Canada and have not been able to find one of those railings that meets code. We were open to getting the vertical cables but even those won't be approved here as they can loosen up.

  • 7 years ago

    I wouldn't do horizontal. Too risky if you have children and it only takes a second for them to get in trouble.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I live in Canada what railing can’t you get? The horizontal cables are not to code most places and the glass and metal are never a problem

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    The problem with cables are, they get loose and then a child can get their head through and stuck potentially resulting in strangulation. You have to check your local codes. Great look though.


    This railing is not a modular system, but custom built. Cables have held up fine with very little tightening required.



  • 7 years ago
    This is the house. Mostly concerned with the look of the railing. (Safety of course is first lol) so I think horizontal cables could be out. We are in Canada too - so from the back deck the view on the fireplace side isn’t as much of a concern as there is a fence (end lot then across road is school yard) but the backyard we plan to put a lot of effort into so don’t want anything too obstructive. Glass is lovely but then there’s the cleaning. It’s drawn here with spindles but if anyone has an opinion I’m all ears! Thanks
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Your home is tradition based on elevations. Traditional or transitional railing material would look better than modern / contemporary.

  • 7 years ago

    "(Safety of course is first lol) "

    Hmmm...I think somebody needs to learn the definition of LOL and its proper use.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Like others, I wouldn't go with horizontal cables. I don't think the cables or glass would go with the style of home. If you are wanting something low-profile, I would look up powder coated hog wire railing, but if you have kids that are climbers, I'd go with the traditional railing.

  • 7 years ago

    we are in the process of looking at railings for interior stairs & loft area, live in BC/Canada>> & most of the ones hubby likes do NOT meet code here >>> he has been looking at ones that have cables crossing all over, but because of the climbing aspect or the grap being more than 4 inches so it wont work.. still looking here.