Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pk_241011

Recently planted Daphne trampled over

Title says it all. A moronic repair man chose to walk over the garden beds as a shortcut instead of the paved path.

End result is that my two month old planted daphne has now two broken branches of the the grand three it had. These things take like forever to grow and then this.

Should I remove the broken branches or leave them and hope that somehow the remaining contact wood will firm up and the two branches will survive?

Comments (22)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

every leaf is a food making machine ... so i GUESS i would leave them there .. presuming they dont brown and die ... if that happened.. i would remove them with a clean cut ...

in the years to come ... they may fail to support themselves due to lack of interior structure ... [interior wood does not heal like a broken bone]... if this happens.. they would be removed then ...

if you think of tree/shrub time ... there really is no hurry to do anything .... lets see what happens ...

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

I would leave them. There looks to be enough tissue to keep feeding the foliage.

• User
    5 years ago

I broke a limb on my night blooming cereus (Epiphyllum oxypetalum). They have those long, arching stems and I broke one. It was cracked about half way through. I used a soft tie to pull it up into place and wrapped, of all things, first aid tape around the crack to hold it together. I left it for several months and it did go back together. I can't even tell which joint it is now.

I don't know if it would work for you, but you have nothing to lose. Just wrap only tight enough to hold together. Support the limb so there is no weight on the crack. If the leaves wilt and die, you will know it didn't work.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

I think that a cactus and a Daphne are very different situations. The latter is a loose shrub with fairly flexible stems. Trying to bandage it up could do more damage. I would simply leave the Daphne alone, perhaps protecting it with a circle of chicken wire to stop anyone else standing on it. It will likely back bud from near the breaks and will actually end up bushier.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Agree with floral - just leave it be. Those are not very serious breaks and could potentially knit together if left alone. Also agree about the back budding.

• Just Started(Sydney)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks for chipping in. I will leave it as it is. Just will put in some stakes around it. And maybe give it a wash of seasol.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

Just out of interest, which Daphne is it? It’s reminiscent of D laureola but that’s not much planted in gardens in my neck of the woods.

5 years ago

no clue what seaweed will do for it ... personally i dont fert newly planted plants ... if ever ...

but i suspect this is about as weak a fert as you could use.. so likely nbd ...

it is stressed ... or will be ... both from the transplant.. and the insult .... food is not a response to stress ...

i was a stay at home dad ... stakes/markers were a must ... they were often huge compared to the plant they marked... lol ... especially due to being buried in snow.. and not wanting them boot tromped .... i suspect snow is not in your wheelhouse ... lol ...

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Daphne laureola is a noxious weed in my area and pops up everywhere (bird planted) but it holds its leaves in whorls or rosettes. In fact, it very much resembles a dwarf rhododendon, which many novice gardeners here mistake it for :-) This looks to me much more like Daphne odora.....just the less common unvariegated form.

• Just Started(Sydney)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@floral_uk It is Daphne Odora Bholua, got it since the label said it tolerates full sun. Aussie sun is brutal.

@Ken Food is my response to stress. :-)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

Thanks just started. A new hybrid to me.

• dbarron
    5 years ago

Gotta love when people just walk through things. Happened to me this summer, I pointed out my pot jungle and he walked right through it, as I walked around. *sigh*

• Just Started(Sydney)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

God and his strange ways. The healthy Daphne suddenly died while this guy is ..... well flowering.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    4 years ago

Sounds like Daphne Sudden Death Syndrome (DSDS)

Just Started(Sydney) thanked Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    4 years ago

God and his strange ways. The healthy Daphne suddenly died

==>>> all with you on God.. but ma nature is a witch ... and that might be a typo ...

ken

Just Started(Sydney) thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Just Started(Sydney)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It was supposed to die. It flowered. I thought it was a death flush. And it replied with growth of fresh leaves.

I have not watered it since last 2.5 months. We are going through a drought and it survived on measly rains.

I am convinced that the only way to keep a Daphne alive is to plant it an forget it.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Hey, so sorry! I know how that feels, especially when you plant it in perfect shape. I just planted mines before winter. I hpe it survives. If anyone here has any helpful suggestions to survive my winter, please let me know))

Mike

• Just Started(Sydney)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) Watering it sparingly seems to be the key. I will not water the Daphne in winter from now on.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Seriously? I had no idea. Because I feel like mines died from drought stress. When I dug it out this past spring after it died, the ground was so dry that the dirt was dust. I also had a very dry winter..Who knows. I am as good as dead with this plant.

MIke

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    4 years ago

I'm on my third Daphne odora and maybe a third time's a charm because it's doing great in its new location. Perfect drainage. I did water extra in our summer drought. Three months, no rain!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Dave, I hope you are right. Funny you should say that. It's been drought here too. Seems like I live under a dome where the rain gpoes around me. The surrounding towns got 3 inches of rain last night and I got a measley 1/4 inch. I don't get it. NO more than that for the past three months. still using the sprinklers right up until it snows at this point or until it's too cold. Then the drying freezing winds come and dry the ground even further if there is no moisture from rain. A tough battle. Let's wish each other luck)