Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olson2334

Home Design Help

A O
5 years ago

Hello,

My wife and I are considering either building new or if we find an existing home we would renovate it. I have done some exploration of some of the home plan sites but have a hard time finding what I am after. I am hoping folks here might be able to help or point me in the right direction.

Here are some of our current wants.

-Garage not in the front of home and first thing you see

-300,000 or less to build (I understand this can vary depending on area but I think building costs here are about $150-$170/sq foot on avg)

-1500-1700 sq feet on main level

-4 bedroom 2+ bath

-Basement is fine

-I would like the ability to add on or have included at least a 25x25 space for some power tools and such for spare time hobbies

-We like the outdoors and where we live it is very cold so the summer time is spent outside as much as we can.

Anyone have any plans that they have seen that might fit all or some of this?

Thanks for the help

Comments (11)

• GreenDesigns
    5 years ago

So a 1200 sf house with a side loading garage. And not the usual McMansion. Do you have the lot width for that? Why aren't you talking with a local architect?

• A O
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the reply and you got it. My wife likes old homes, i like newer non McMansions. Ideally i would like to blend the old character with new in an established neighborhood. our house current is 2000 on the main level with a finished basement for a family of 5. I feel more than we need and we could get buy with less.

One lot we have explored was a 100x140 corner lot.

We have not worked with an architect before and we are not currently working with one. I know we don't have much to go with on funds so wasn't sure if it would be a line item of value? I hope i am not offending architects here. Sorry if i have.

Does this help?

• AnnKH
    5 years ago

Most economical is to buy an existing house - especially if you can do some remodeling work yourselves.

If you decide to build, finding the right lot is the first challenge. It's important to get the lot first, and design a home to suit the property, rather than try to plop a generic house plan on a specific lot (unless the lot is perfectly flat with no views).

You have a very short list of wants, but to develop the perfect house plan, you'll need a much longer list! How many people will live in the house? Do you have frequent overnight guests? Do you entertain a lot? Do you like open spaces or cozy ones? Do you need a home office?

A good architect will help you develop a plan that suits your site, your family, and your budget. Good luck with your project!

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

-300,000 or less to build (I understand this can vary depending on
    area but I think building costs here are about $150-$170/sq foot on avg)

Does this budget include land? The cost of land is quite variable, so this is a make-or-break item for your budget.

-1500-1700 sq feet on main level

Are you thinking of this space + basement? Or this space + upstairs? Where do you see the placement of the four bedrooms /two baths within this space?

-I would like the ability to add on or have included at least a 25x25 space for some power tools and such for spare time hobbies

Can this be the basement?

Can this space be the garage ... and you'll move the cars out when you're using the power tools, etc.?

Must this space be attached to the house?
    Most economical is to buy an existing house - especially if you can do some remodeling work yourselves.

Yes, you'll almost always spend less on an existing house.

• A O
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@AnnKH thanks for the response and this brings up some questions/concerns.

Like i mention my wife likes existing. I am handy but have been with new homes. From what little i have seen with existing i get nervous on when i open a wall up what I might find and the can works that might result. Not sure how to calm this concern? Is there a good way of identifying with some confidence we could be getting ourselves in to?

You are right, i surely do not want to plop down a cookie cutter McMansion any place. We do have additional wants but I feel these are some of the bigger ones and I didn't want to scare commenters away. ;)

To answer a few of your questions. There would be 2 adults and 3 kids living here. We do not entertain much a few times a year is all. We like an open concept. A home office would be great but i assumed i would consume a bedroom possibly. ;) My wife does not want to lay roots down so the idea would be a 10 year stay at most until the kids are grown so in addition, resale might be something to keep in the back of our heads.

• bluesanne
    5 years ago

If you base cost of your home purely on money, tents look real attractive.

Surely a line for the all-time list.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

I don’t craft these words for nothing.

• A O
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the responses. My wife knows of an architect and is going to do some inquiry.

@MrsPete

To answer a few of your questions.

1. That budget does not include land.

2. the 1500-1700 sq. feet would be the main level. A basement would likely exist under for an additional amt of space. I would picture 2 bedrooms on the main level and perhaps another 2 in the basement. If it becomes a 2 story, which i am not apposed to maybe they would be split between level 2 and the basement. ( haven't thought much about the 2 level scenario)

3. Ideally I would like this space either as an extension to a garage. I enjoy in my spare time woodworking and would like to keep the dust and noise separate from the living area. I don't want it detached necessarily (but could again if it makes sense). I would not like it part of the home though as I don't want to have to worry or contend with any dust/noise.

4. As far as buying existing, my wife would prefer this and then build it to our needs. I am handy but this makes me nervous but maybe I need to figure out how to calm these nerves a bit. Not sure yet how to do this outside of just doing it and see what happens.

Does that help?

• chisue
    5 years ago

There are no perfect houses. It is much, much easier to buy an existing house that meets *most* of your needs. Buy. Move in. Resume life.

Building *becomes* your life. Remodeling is worse because you live IN the disruption. Workers traipse in and out for months while your family 'makes do' with whatever parts are still working. Remodeling means you must first take things apart, carefully, bit by bit, before you can change anything. You can end up with a peculiar "old house with some new parts" that won't appraise for what you've invested.

Are there no existing houses that would meet most of the requirements you've outlined in your first post? What's the going price per square foot in your area?

• A O
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@chisue, good points for sure.

The town we are looking is only a few thousand people in it so is pretty darn small. Unfortunately there is limited supply of existing homes and the ones that are there are either mcmansions on the upper end of what we want to spend already or in some real tough shape. I have some time though as I do not intend to do anything in the coming months. I simply am trying to find a direction and layout my options.

The going price per sq foot to build is about 150-170 is my understanding.

If one fixes or builds in a neighborhood with homes that are in ruff shape what should one keep in mind?