Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oranous516

Living Room - Major help needed!

oranous516
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

HI All,

As you can see from the pictures below I need a lot of help with this room.

Note: Unfortunately I can't really clear any of the furniture out of the room, and looking for a good lay out to make it more cohesive.

This is my first post, so please be gentle.

Thank you!

Comments (23)

• Gerry
    5 years ago
    Post your photos as a comment.
    oranous516 thanked Gerry
  • oranous516
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Have tried several times, but it won't load up?

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago

Post one photo per comment, go slowly, wait until the picture is no longer grayed out to hit submit. If it still wont work try resizing your pictures smaller.

oranous516 thanked Rawketgrl
  • oranous516
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• oranous516
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• oranous516
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the advice Rawketgrl

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

You want to rearrange the room and you don't want to move out anything?

• aak4
    5 years ago

Beautiful pieces you got there, but it seems to me you are downsizing from a much bigger house and trying to fit everything into a smaller room? Is it possible at all to move some items/furniture into another room? Interesting post, I'm wondering what the pros here will come up with.

oranous516 thanked aak4
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Sorry. Too much stuff. FWIW, the room is totally cohesive, but too much enormous ornate stuff in a tiny room feels like the storage area of a museum. If you want this room to be used and for anything to actually be seen, you need to curate and cull.

Does anyone sit on that bench? How about moving it out and just keeping the chairs around the coffee table. Move out the ornate shelf and put your objets d'art on shelves on the wall. Then open the windows and let some daylight in.

• oranous516
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone. Yes, trust me, I already know that I have way too much stuff in there (hence the reason for the post). Unfortunately I can't move any of this stuff to another room as they are either bedrooms, family, room, dinning room, and kitchen. All the other rooms are very clean and proper/uncluttered, except for this one room! *insert rolling eyes here*.

Erinsean - Do you mean moving the longest couch, underneath the gold art piece, to it's left facing the fireplace? The reason I don't have any furniture there is because that's a hallway dividing the dinning room from the living room.

Groveraxle - I'm sorry I don't know what bench you are referring to? I don't have a bench in that room.

Thank you again!

• noodlesportland
    5 years ago

I would take everything out of the corners.

What if what you have no matter how beautiful just won't fit?

• User
    5 years ago
    As erinsean said place the sofa facing the fireplace, the two Asian chairs where the sofa is presently, keep the two white gold chairs with the mirror and place the floor lamp in between them. What else is near the living room?
    oranous516 thanked User
  • oranous516
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nothing else is near the living room. There is about 9 feet width from the end of the living room (where the gold chairs are) to where the dining room is (that is the width of the hallway in between).

• oranous516
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Not that it may matter, but this picture is taken at night...and I forgot to tun on the lights! :)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Oranous, what others are calling a sofa, I'm calling a bench.

oranous516 thanked groveraxle
  • aak4
    5 years ago

If I understand correctly, there's a 9' hallway between this room and the dining room? Can you place the long sofa in the hallway? I'm afraid the pros here won't be able to help much unless you are willing to move a few items. There's really just too much stuff in this room. It's a beautiful collection but there's just not enough room in there.

oranous516 thanked aak4
  • katrina_ellen
    5 years ago

I would center the sofa under the long art piece, then put the two chairs that match it facing the fireplace without intruding into the hallway space. Start there and see how it looks.

oranous516 thanked katrina_ellen
  • C Marlin
    5 years ago

In addition to other good suggestions, I'd remove that contemporary floor lamp, it looks awkward with the other furnishings. It must fit in another room.

oranous516 thanked C Marlin
  • oranous516
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HI everyone, and thank you!

You guys all have great eye (much better than me). Trust me I know the room is cluttered and I'm asking the impossible of you all, but (due to sentimental reasons), I can't get rid of the actual furniture.

I'm open, however, to moving/taking out things on the wall, and all decorations...the only things I can't take out (because they won't go in any other room) are the actual furniture.

alenm3 - There is 9 feet between the two living room and dinning room rugs (open space hallway). There are two arches that end each room and the space between those is 6 feet.

Katrina - I will def. try your suggestion (I think it sounds fabulous), and go from there.

C Marlin - Great eye! The floor lamp was moved there temporarily as we were doing the floors in another room and forgot to put it back! :)

Side note on the mirror to the far front left of the picture: It's actually one of the mirrors that was used in Phantom of the Opera! We purchased this a few years back!

• aak4
    5 years ago

oranous, I've been sick with a bad cold for the past few days and haven't responded to your last post. I hope you're still around here. Can you move the dark mahogany chairs to where the white chairs are now facing the fireplace? Then move the white chairs to the windows by the fireplace, don't angle them, just place them under the windows. Move the sofa to center it under the gold art. Find another room for the torch floor lamp. Can you remove the mirror and put it in another room? Then, the ornate shelves unit (the one you have by the fireplace), put it where you currently have the mirror. Take out the ornaments inside the fireplace heart. Take pictures and post them here to see how it looks.

oranous516 thanked aak4
  • oranous516
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Alenn3 - Gosh I'm sorry that I didn't see this post until now. I'm hoping you are all better now, and Happy New Year! Thank you for your great suggestions.

Several months ago we had moved the shelf unit where the mirror is currently, and had take the mirror out completely. It made the space look more cluttered and smaller! :(. That's why it went back to the other spot.

The floor lamp's place is in the family room and we had moved it there temp. to do our flooring and forgot to put it back.

I'm planning on taking your advice as soon as I get a day to work on the house. Once I do, I will make sure to post pictures and hope that they will reach you.

Thank you again! :)

• oranous516
    Original Author
    5 years ago

BTW: I don't think that red rug is helping matters any as well. I think the big flower patterns make the room even MORE cluttered. :( :(. Plans on taking it out completely, but not sure what to replace it with that is non-intrusive!