Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_willis49

Help with layout for kitchen with large picture windows!

Kathy Willis
5 years ago

Building new house with lots of picture windows! Finding a layout that flows in the kitchen is a little challenging with the 2 large picture windows taking up wall real estate. My biggest concern is lack of upper cabinet to put cups and plates. Suggestions on best use of space would be appreciated! I have the option of moving the refrigerator to the side wall on the left (if you are facing the stove and fridge). My concern with doing that is impeding the kitchen flow even further. There is plenty of space to move it there and there would be enough space between fridge and the island for traffic flow. Attaching 3 images: The floor plan layout, the original drawing with minimal cabinets and one other sketch with added cabinets. Thanks!!

Comments (64)

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

I like the combination of materials i would do light gray wall and dark grey island, and would consider doing brushed brass hardware, look into it and see if you like it

if that is the case you can also do a brass faucet

with pull out spray,

Kathy Willis thanked Anthony Perez
  • PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow! So amazing! Looks like you rearranged range and fridge. Think it looks better elsewhere?

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

no< I did not re-arrange, I left it in the same place, it is because I used the dimensions you posted and there is more room, ultimately you have to work it out with your designer. but al long as you have good counter space on left and right of the range as well as the sink then you should be fine

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh wow... yes I had moved range over in my drawing as I was trying to gain more cabinet space but using the wall mount hood really solved that nicely. So I wonder if the range looks off balance where it's drawn on the dimensions page? I wonder if it should be moved over to the right some. we'e just decided were going with an induction cook top and wall oven so that will change the look a bit but dimensions and placement would be the same. What is your opinion on dark gray on the bottom of the wall cabinets as well? Is that not a good thing to do?

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

If you are doing a cooktop and a wall oven then the wall will change, but it is a better set up. Induction cooktops are great and a wall oven will give you more flexibility in addition to being much better for your back, are you doing a 30" wall oven, 36 cooktop and 48 refrigerator?

Dark grey on the base cabinets is a nice look (same grey as the island) I just would not do a 3rd color and I think the wall cabinets can be white or very light grey

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

36" cooktop for sure, well i assumed 36" oven but perhaps it's 30? is that standard to do 36" cooktop with 30" oven? And yes doing column fridge and freezer side by side. 24" each

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

I think your set up will be more like this

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

• waverly6
    5 years ago

i'm interested in your solutions as I am thinking of adding in more windows on the south side in my kitchen reno which will improve passive solar heating in summer but wit will take away storage space in my kitchen, especially as I will only have one full wall. I know you said you are not a fan of open shelving but I'm thinking of doing some shelving like this. I love the idea of display space for art and attractive bowls and some herbs ( I will have to invest in large amounts of museum putty to stop my ninja cats from knocking everything off the shelves. ) You can keep it as minimalist as you like. https://www.houzz.com/photos/lake-minnetonka-equestrian-influence-farmhouse-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~125549819

Kathy Willis thanked waverly6
  • Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

oh wow. I am so amazed by this. Now we were going to put the oven under the cooktop but I guess thats what you meant by it will save your back b/c it's higher.... Oh yeah that would be nice, but do I lose too much counter space? Anthony you must be really bored today! But Im glad if you are b/c you are inspiring us for sure! :)

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

waverley, thank you for joining the conversation. I've found these folks very helpful! The very first commenter saying "filling the bottom with drawers" immediately made me realize there are solutions and options! And the brilliant Anthony has inspired us beyond belief! My other post about the exterior of my house hasn't proven to be as fruitful, but this one makes up for it for sure! Open shelving isn't for me but i do think it looks great if it can be maintained nice and neat! Im not confident my family of 4 can make that happen, so covered is my choice at this point in my life. :) I love the kitchen you sent in the link. It is very open and organic looking.

• Toni Hamlett
    5 years ago
    Following but I must say Anthony, your feedback is great. As for the drawers I highly recommend them. I hurt my shoulder a year ago and realized how heavy thing can get. I moved all my day today items to drawers including my dishes and positioned them close to dishwasher for easy unloading. The remodel was done earlier this year. I also did gray cabinets peppercorn stained bottoms and oyster paint on uppers (softer than white).
    One comment on plan, reconsider centering microwave in island. I worry the drawers to each size might get smaller than necessary. Once you think about what you will store I think it will help with final decision on placement of microwave cabinet. Again one of the best stories with good constructive advise. All the best.
    Kathy Willis thanked Toni Hamlett
  • Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

bikertoni, what a wonderful post! Thank you for the advice on the island microwave. I hadn't thought about that at all! If the island is 6 feet worth of cabinet space i guess that would help us decide if the side drawers would be too small. Do you have an island microwave drawer? Suggestions on placement? If we dont do a double oven I guess the microwave could go in that top spot. Would love to hear your thoughts. I'd love to see your kitchen if you feel like sharing a pic!

• Toni Hamlett
    5 years ago
    Below are some pictures. I don’t have a big kitchen 12’8” x 21’ so my island replaced an eat in kitchen table to provide more storage and maintain seating for 4 (usually 2). You will notice one 36” cabinet with opening to one side. This was down so when we are eating we are facing one another vs side to side.
    One thing to think about with two tone cabinets - what color molding. The coffee station has a 14” deep vs 12” standard deep upper cabinet which was originally going to be oyster. During the finalizing of cabinets with designer changed doors to glass and had inside painted the oyster so that the cabinet would be peppercorn thus peppercorn molding on that side of kitchen. This was a change from all uppers being oyster hence issue with molding. The molding on other side of kitchen is oyster against all oyster uppers.
  • Toni Hamlett
    5 years ago
    Closeup of cabinet colors so you can see oyster. Also included picture of molding around island. It was added about a week after install as designer felt it would give finished look. Good news no extra cost to me for molding and contractor came back to install at no extra cost.
    Kathy Willis thanked Toni Hamlett
  • Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

bikertoni, thats a beautiful kitchen! I like your color choices and the way you did the island was a great idea! Excellent point about the molding. Hadn't thought of that either. Thank goodness for you good people willing to share your experience and advice! I really like the coffee station. I was thinking of adding an area for that in my kitchen but we are worried about adding too much. I have a free wall to the left of the kitchen... you have inspired me to reconsider that though. Thank you! :)

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

here's your kitchen with double wall ovens, that what I meant ,

• emilyam819
    5 years ago

Are your windows changeable? Because a corner sink should be avoided if possible.

Kathy Willis thanked emilyam819
  • PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

if anything I would eliminate the pantry and move the ref and ovens to the left for extra counter, since you have plenty of drawers , the pantry takes away precious counter space

the other good think with the wall oven in this set up, is that you can still use the base cabinet with the cooktop for storage

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

best of luck

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So many wonderful posters and ideas for you! Nothing nicer than a lovely pantry. I wonder if you can build a wall of shallow cabinets on the blank wall for use as a pantry.

Kathy Willis thanked Rawketgrl
  • PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

Rawketgrl Excellent idea, give me an empty wall and even if your pantry is 6" deep

you can store so many things and they are very accessible, glassware, food containers, cups, mugs, napkins, etc.

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Emilyam819, windows can't be moved, so yes sink is in the corner. I know im a little concerned, but we gotta roll with it. Thank you for your comment though. This has been the most help Ive gotten in months just talking to people around me. You guys are awesome! Rawketgirl, yes love the idea. I think Anthony is referring to that thin strip of cabinets to the left of the fridge in his rendering. The kitchen pantry is actually behind that blank wall in the kitchen. For some reason we couldn't put the door in the kitchen. Anthony, there is a blank wall on the left in my kitchen and I was wondering if I should or shouldn't put anything there. I dont want to make things too tight, but also would like a place to put small appliances like coffee pot, blender, toaster, etc... out of the way so considered doing a little counter over there too, but Im really afraid that it will feel tight over there. I dont want to over do it.

• emilyam819
    5 years ago

A prep sink in the island would help. You want to create a triangle between fridge, prep sink, and cooktop. Cleanup sink and wall ovens should be outside the work triangle. So at the very least I would swap the location of fridge and wall ovens and put the tall pantry somewhere else.

Kathy Willis thanked emilyam819
  • PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

I think you have enough room according to the dimension on your plan

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Emilyam819, I've never had a prep sink and not exactly sure if Ive been missing out all these years...? Maybe you are right with moving the wall oven... I think that makes sense as far as frequency of use... Ya'll are so smart on this thread! So you are referring to that long thing strip of cabinets far left as "tall pantry". Yes I could take that out all together maybe, move the oven closest to wall and move fridge closer to cooktop! That sounds like a really good idea!

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Emilyam819, look at this! Excuse the elementary rearrangement with cut and paste but I dont have the fancy program that Anthony does. :) I really like it! Anthony, what do you think? Oh gosh Anthony! You beat me to it! Ha! Ok, Ill upload my pic for fun. Should make you feel good about yourself Anthony b/c mine is so bad! :) Ya'll are the best! Thank you!

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Anthony is that a 12 or 24" cabinet on the left? And does it feel stuffy now? Emilyam819, what ya think about Anthony's latest drawing?

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

oh wait, i moved the oven to the wall... I was thinking you did that in your pic Anthony, but I see now... Again, thanks so much..

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

Kathy if you want to do small appliances and a counter here, is doable

I would make the tall and base cabinets 18" deep, 12" is too shallow for some appliances and 24 will get a little tight, and you don't need 24" deep

I would measure the appliances you want to place in there and make the cabinets according to that, the wall cabinets can remain 12" deep, you can store coffee related items in there as well as additional storage on the left and right pantries

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

I think I gave you some ideas, hopefully they can help you decide, or at least see visualize before you commit. I would love to see pictures when done, feel free to ask, I am not sure when I will answer but I will at some point

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I really wish ya'll could see me right now! Im like a kid on Christmas day! :)

• suezbell
    5 years ago

If you're choosing custom cabinets, consider including some deeper than average drawers as the bottom drawers rather than ending up needing to "stand on your head" to look into a cabinet shelf area.

Also consider including some wide vertical drawers for your counter top appliances.

A full 6' height vertical drawer on each side of your refrigerator could be width adjusted for the space available. A

deep angled corner drawer beneath the corner sink for tall bottles of dish soap and cleaning supplies, preferably with a pair of removable trays that can set atop/across/within that deeper drawer for other cleaning supplies such as sponges and cleaning cloths.

Where your cabinets end at the adjoining room, you could include a door -- a single full 6'+ door or a pair (base and overhead cabinets) -- that opens to reveal shelves for spices, S&P, cream & sugar, etc or even w/shelves within the door or cabinets the door covered that are deep enough to serve as "pantry space" -- such as for storing canned goods.,

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

anyway, if you can keep the distance between your cooktop and island about 4'-6" and the distance between island and pantry and counters by the dishwasher 4 feet you should be Ok, if you have doubts you can always mark your kitchen on the floor with tape, to give you a sense of the space and see if it is not too tight for you

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Anthony, I think it's gonna work! Suezbell, thank you so much for your suggestions! Very helpful!

• Kathy Willis thanked Toni Hamlett
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Design Company
    5 years ago

Dear Kathy,

You are designing your new kitchen out of context. All you’re showing is your kitchen layout and not the rest of your home’s floor plan that your kitchen should be designed to serve.

Because of this there is no way to tell (with such limited information) if your new kitchen would be better arranged differently or located differently in your new home. Or if this is in fact the best possible basic layout for your new kitchen, and just needs to be tweaked.

Every residential kitchen’s purpose is to provide food and beverage service for your entire home.

If your kitchen project is going to be truly successful for you, and deliver the life you’re expecting to begin Living in it AFTER it’s done. You will need to consider how your new kitchen is going to provide food and beverage service for your new home and outdoor space.

To determine how effectively your current kitchen layout does this you’ll need to analyze the entire floor plan your kitchen is located on and the rooms it provides service to.

Based upon what you have shown. There is no way to tell if this one layout, out of the possible 5, 10 or more you haven’t seen. Effectively and efficiently does this because all we can see is your kitchen.

I believe Your new kitchen has to reproduce benefits and resolve problems you are experiencing in your current kitchen. That is if your new kitchen is truly going to get you from where you are now.

Living with an existing kitchen that doesn’t work for you, to where I think you want to get, Your new kitchen uniquely your own that you’ll love to live and entertain in for as long as you’ll own it.

Fact: You are NEVER going to renovate this kitchen again for as long as you’re in this home. You will, if you have to, live with whatever you get no matter how it turns out for better or worse. If You want to avoid this you need to begin with the perfect plan for you.

You need kitchen layout help. For a DIY Solution click the following link: https://www.kitchendesignco.com/diy-kitchen-layout-help/

Problems I see:

Your original layout doesn’t match your perspective drawings. I do see that your new layout does. But your sink base in your original layout is better. Because it gives you the space (being recessed) to stand at your sink and open the pull out trash on your left and the dw on your right, without have to move out of the way.

I get the sense you’re still not convinced this is your perfect plan.

Without a finalized kitchen layout or plan, and finalized appliance list BEFORE you begin interior elevations or perspective drawings. I believe is a huge waste of your time and money. Your working backwards, guessing and maybe trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Just because the majority people do kitchen design this way doesn’t mean you should.

Yes, You could potentially, by tweaking this same layout, produce 5,or more different appliance and cabinetry combinations for your new kitchen. Invest lots of time you just don’t have to waste.

You’ll Produce multiple similar plans and perspectives just to discover that this basic layout just doesn’t work esthetically or functionally for you or your new home. So you’ll have to begin all over again by potentially re designing your new home. Not what you want to do. And that can get very expensive very quickly.

Or settle for a new kitchen you don’t like because believe that’s all that will fit. Adapt to it and make do. Not what you expect when you’re building a new home starting from scratch.

How much of this kitchen is really YOU and exactly what you really want and expect?

I believe the very first thing you need to do is decide How you truly want and expect to be living in your new kitchen AFTER you get it. Designing a new kitchen is easy. However, You have to also design the life you truly want your new kitchen project to deliver to you or you won’t get it.

You will get a beautiful new kitchen that you have to Adapt to and make do with, that everybody else loves. That just doesn’t work for you, leaving you disappointed and regretting that you didn’t do your kitchen project very differently. Not what you want.

The very second thing you truly need is Your perfect plan. How do you know it’s your perfect plan or layout? You space plan every kitchen layout possible. You try every possible combination of appliances you want and cabinetry until you have exhausted every option that resolves your current kitchen problems.

You should see 5, 10 or more unique layouts that work. Then Analyze and Compare them, and by process of elimination get to your best possible option. Your perfect plan. You can see examples of what I mean by using this link. https://www.kitchendesignco.com/layoutlab

Once you have your perfect plan the interior elevations and perspective drawings are easy to produce. And the only direction for your project to go is forward.

Other problems:

Your perspective drawings do not accurately show How your new kitchen will “look and feel” In Your Home After you get it. So using them to make important design decisions may be misleading you.

So you might end up with a kitchen you don’t recognize even though it matches your design drawings. You use the following link to see an example of what I mean. https://www.kitchendesignco.com/ordering-software-vs-lookinside-3d/

How does this layout actually perform?

Esthetically

This kitchen doesn’t “feel good” there is a lot of mass on the ref/f range wall. Your ref/f looks huge. The hood and singular wall cabinet are off balance and at odds with each other. The range appears to be jammed up against the ref/f because of all of the space and glass to the right of it. If there are no other angles in the kitchen area the corner sink will look odd. You need less in that corner with all that glass not more.

Functionally

Your work triangle is a big as you could make it. You’ll be doing a lot of walking. A prep sink on your island would cut that triangle in half. You may not want an island sink.

Your ref door is on the right and you have no counter to the left. Meaning you will have to walk passed your ref door, open it get out what you need. Use the island counter, which is not directly behind you, to stage your items. Or kick the ref door shut so you can get to the counter to the right of your ref.

You use your ref a lot. Loading items into and out of your ref is going to be quite a chore, frustrating, awkward, and time consuming. Not how you should live your life in your own home.

Your sink corner sink cabinet won’t allow you to open your dw or trash while you’re standing at the sink. Because the door opens into where you are standing. Your dw may be better on the left of your sink because it’s closer to the only wall cabinet you have.

If the tall cabinet next to your ref/f is your pantry it’s very small and won’t be very useful as a pantry or for tray storage. Hopefully you have another pantry if not you have a problem.

Will everything you have that you are moving here from your existing kitchen even going to fit into the cabinetry and pantry storage you have in this kitchen layout? To find out now use the following link for a DIY Solution. https://www.kitchendesignco.com/new-kitchen-doesnt-work/

Without adjacent spaces shown my kitchen performance analysis can’t go much further.

If you show your kitchen and at least all of the adjacent spaces to it, you’ll get much more help and guidance from this forum.

Hope this has been helpful.

Joe Brandao

Kitchen Design Company

• leelee
    5 years ago

Corner sink looks like a problem. Can you stand at the sink and open the dishwasher door? Looks awkward.

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kitchen Design Company, thank you for your insight. You make some great points and I sure appreciate you posting! You mention the sink layout looking differently in drawings, being recessed in one and not the other. Could you please explain what you're seeing? Im not sure what you are referring to. I definitely see what you mean by the "mass" on the left end of the kitchen. Perhaps we should move the fridge to that side wall to balance it out. In regards to dishwasher placement, we are putting a 9" pan cabinet to the right of the sink to provide space for dishwasher to open. Will that not work you think? I'm attaching first floor plan as requested. Upstairs of the house is just 2 bedrooms and a den area for our kids. Pardon the black marks in center of plan. Not sure where those came from. Once again thank you for your extensive reply! Very much appreciated!

Leelee, thank you for your post about the corner sink. Ive done some research on corner sinks and there are spacing recommendations that we have incorporated into the plan, so I think we are ok, but we can let the experts chime in and give us their thoughts. Thanks again!

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago

HI Kathy, I like your floor plan, I especially love that you have a master on the main. Great for aging or if anyone is injured.

There is a lot going on past the doorway near the fridge. I don't think I would add anything to the wall off the end of the island as you want the traffic pattern to be directed away from the main kitchen area, I certainly would not want someone trying to get past me while I was at the fridge. It looks like you have a large pantry just outside the kitchen so that is handled.

A few questions to help clarify traffic patterns:

Where is your front door?

Where will your BBQ and outdoor hangout be?

Where is the garage/car park family entrance?

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Rawketgrl, thank you for your comment. Yes, laundry, office, pool bath, mud room is all at the back entry of the house. Those are things I kinda want out of eye sight as they get messy quick. Front door is actually on the patio and goes into the main living room. So it's a side front door if you will. Hang out area will be on that patio and that same side of the house where the pool will be located. Family entrance is the back door by the laundry, mudroom (cubby area).

KDC, I see now what you are talking about with the sink being recessed. Thank you for pointing that out. Also, I see what you mean by the imbalance with the hood vent and cabinets on the side. Perhaps I'll do 2 same size cabinets on either side of the hood. Lastly, I also see what you mean by the "mass" on the left. I could possible move the small appliance area near the left end of the kitchen. Thank you for your input! It's much appreciated!!

• Nidnay
    5 years ago
    I’m not a pro but certainly have experienced corner sinks.....one in our previous home and another in the rental we were in while building our current home. After those two experiences, I vowed I would never consciously decide to build a house with a corner sink...ever. Even with adequate dimensions and spacing, they are a complete nuisance. You are stuck in a corner and if your spouse or anyone wants to work side by side with you at the sink it’s an impossibility. If you are prepping by the sink on a cutting board, you cannot just simply scrape veggie scraps (or whatever) into the sink because of the angle. Also, the way your sink is designed in your space, the inconvenience will be even greater because it’s set back even further than the norm. If you have never lived with a corner sink or experienced one I would highly recommend you reconsider that arrangement.
  • Rawketgrl
    5 years ago

A few years ago I lived in a beautiful rental home and it had a corner sink. It was a PITA. The only thing that made the corner sink livable was the 2nd sink on the island. That way 2 people could use kitchen at same time. Literally if someone just wanted to wash their hands, it would stop production if you only had the 1 corner sink. Don't even get me started about the corner cook top in that home.

I am still confused as to where the front door, pool, car park, BBQ and outdoor hangout areas are. Could you mark on the floor plan where they are? Sorry I am so visual...

• Kathy Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Rawketgrl, here's a quick overview I put together. I completely get the visual kind of person thing... I am too completely!

Hope it makes sense! Thank you for your continued conversation! Much appreciated!

• mononhemeter
    5 years ago

I just want to echo the posts warning you against a corner sink. I have one in my kitchen, and anytime someone is using the sink, that person has to move in order for anyone else to use the sink (even for a second to rinse something). If the dishwasher adjacent to my sink is open, the space is even tighter. Could you center the sink under one of the windows instead of putting it in the corner?

• Rawketgrl
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Okay i get it now. I don't like the front door in the private pool area but you must have your reasons. I see your stairs are open under the master bedroom door side. I wonder if that might not be built into a coat closet for the front door? Other wise I do like the plan, I love the open kitchen living dining area.

How much space is between your island and your cook top? I would want at least 4 feet there.

here is a drawing with the sink moved and one added to island...see what you think...might give you some other ideas.

I was also curious where your furniture would go so I used Homestyler to draw this up with the specs I could read on your plans. This will give you some idea of the use of the space you have and the traffic flow.