Software
Houzz Logo Print
daisyincrete

Voluptuous, perfumed and procumbent.

I have found a spot where I can plant another rose. It is on a higher level than the main part of the garden so it cannot be upright or I will be looking at it's canes and the underside of the blooms. I remember that Hoovb had some planted on each side of some steps, that hung down beguilingly, but I cannot find the post.

It must be small, only 3 feet or less and it will be with these plants, behind and to one side of the nepeta, so probably not lilac pink.





Any ideas?

Daisy


Comments (79)

  • 7 years ago

    I just looked up Mary Magdalene and it doesnt look like DA carries it this year.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 7 years ago

    If you're looking at polyanthas, may I suggest Aunt Margy's Rose? I've had this for about three years in a pot, morning sun, afternoon shade. Prolific bloomer even in 100 degree heat (zone 9a). Not as lilac as in the picture - more light pink. . Not sure about its fragrance, though.

    Also, my pal Rockwall Sesquicentennial from ARE - that one is fragrant. Light pink, white in the heat. Has stayed in a pot for years too. No bigger than 2' high, but very drapy. Rockwall is one of their Pioneer roses - does well in hot and dry conditions. Bigger blooms than Aunt Margy's, on thin, nodding stems. I'll post a picture of her in a bit.

    I just realized neither of these are Austins, however my bad. If Austins are a must, then Tamora, Tamora, Tamora. So fragrant, so pretty, so free-blooming, and never over 3'6" or so - even at my old house, which was in 10A. DA may be planning to shelve Tamora, so this might be a good time to buy her.


    TAMORA. Photo taken on a very hot day in July.



    AUNT MARGY'S ROSE



    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
  • 7 years ago

    Sylvia, I'm not sure they have to be Austin's, they just have to be available from the David Austin UK site. I was also going to suggest Aunt Margie's Rose but I couldn't find a synonym for it since it seems to be just a found Rose. Are you in California? Just asking because I've also been considering it. Not to go off topic or anything! Lol! :-)

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Daisy said "something from David Austin UK" -- not necessarily one of his roses, but a rose sold by that nursery. She is adding to an order with them.


    :-)


    ~Christopher

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • 7 years ago

    Well! I am so annoyed. You have all given me so many good ideas for naught.

    First of all I find that Bishops Castle is dropped, then Flowersaremusic suggests Mary Magdalene, which is exactly the right colour, shape and perfume. No. Dropped.

    Okay, so Tamora will work. No. Dropped.

    Okay, Ambridge rose is in the right spectrum of colour. No. Dropped.

    Sweet Juliet is also the right colour, but DA UK list it as being four and a half feet tall.

    Anne Boleyn is also the right colour, but DA lists it's perfume as light, which means I will not be able to smell it.You have also given me other ideas, some I already have like Jubilee Celebration and some are lovely roses, like Baby Alberic, Little White Pet etc, but I have in mind something more voluptuous, lots of perfume and in the colour range of Mary Magdalene.

    I am so annoyed I tried telephoning D A Roses, but of course there is no one there except an answerphone at this time. The funeral is on 4th Jan, so I will not be able to reach someone until after that. I will try again. To my way of thinking, if they drop a rose like Mary Mag, they must have a better replacement! But then, I was always a little naive.

    Marlorena, I have to plant in the winter here. I need the rain to get every new plant established.

    Daisy in a huff

  • 7 years ago

    If it is any consolation, 'Bishop's Castle' would probably be too large for your space. Mine grow to about 6 feet wide. You could prune them hard, but I suspect they would try to grow back to their desired size before blooming much, and pruning would ruin their form. HoovB has another rose in a similar spot and similar form, called 'Petal Pushers' but it's not an Austin or available at Austin roses, and it is not fragrant. I don't think any of the full flowered Austin roses are truly procumbent. The Austin UK website lists only one rose as a groundcover rose, 'Rushing Stream' and it is single. On the other hand, other roses might be small enough or have a spreading form. Others have mentioned their favorites and you have discovered a number have been unfortunately discontinued. In my garden, 'Boscobel' would be small enough that you wouldn't be looking up at a thorn thicket with it in that raised bed. My most spreading type is 'William Shakespeare 2000' which in my garden grows to about 2 feet tall and spreads out 3-4 feet. It is voluptuously flowered and sinfully fragrant. In my garden 'Munstead Wood' also has a spreading form, but not quite as much as WS2K. Another option is planting a second of one that you already have, that has the form you want, i.e. if Jubilee Celebration would work. You might not get exactly what your mind's eye created, but it might be something equally lovely.

  • 7 years ago

    Why oh why do they discontinue so many gorgeous roses ? How frustrating Daisey. I really wanted Mary Magdaline but it is not to be.

    I sure like the sound of William Shakespeare 2000. Maybe I will get that one myself.


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I have another idea for you: the David Austin rose called Janet. I have had it in the ground for a year, and I've been so impressed by the incredible, voluptuous flowers that are beautifully scented. And it has been in almost constant bloom, including all through the late fall! In fact, there's probably a bud on it now.

    The "negatives" about Janet are that she has weak necks and a more sprawling habit. But that's exactly what you need in your situation.

    The flowers on Janet are huge and stunningly beautiful. I wish I had a picture, but I didn't take any since she was so new. I figure they will get even better over time. Also, they are hard to photograph due to the weak necks. I'm growing it as a short, bushy climber on a teepee.

    https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/janet


  • 7 years ago

    My William Morris tends to flop. I was going to prune it hard this month to see if it gave him a little more structure.

  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, if I had known the roses I suggested were out of commerce, I would not have suggested them. I feel bad about that.

    You might find a local nursery that has Mary Mag in a band.

    Also, if it is off patent, I would be happy to send you some cuttings. My MM isn't very old, but I bet she has some viable canes.

    Noseometer's suggestion of putting another kind of rose in that spot and using your DA rose somewhere else sounds like a plan. In that case, some of the non DA suggestions above might work.

    As a last thought, my Wm Shakespeare 2K also stays low and wide, as noseometer mentioned. I'd forgotten about that one.

    Again, I'm so sorry I posted all discontinued roses.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It's been a pleasure certainly for me, to see these beautiful roses, regardless of whether they're still available here... these are not Austins I hear about too much, and some are available elsewhere in Europe... Ambridge and Tamora for instance.. Tuincentrum Lottum in Holland carries quite a few old Austins… and I expect Mary Magdalene is available there somewhere in the E.U... it's a huge Single Market we have access to, so it's not always a problem if they're not available in England... although in this case Daisy was ordering direct from Austin..

    It'll be interesting to see which 3 roses Austins remove this coming Spring, to make way for the newer varieties... they've already removed them from their display gardens but didn't say which they were [they sent me an email]… sometimes I find it quite amusing to note how hastily some roses just 'disappear'...

  • 7 years ago

    Vaporvac, I am indeed in CA. Santa Clarita.

    Here's my Rockwall. Why don't more people grow this rose? It's terrific IMO.



  • 7 years ago

    Flowers, never be sorry for posting your gorgeous photos of roses. It was a pleasure to see them, and you introduced me to the lovely watercolor look of Mary Magdalene. I didn't know Tamora was discontinued--I thought I saw it on the DA US website.


    Sylvia, tell us more about Rockwall--it's new to me. It's another lovely one with a bit of subtle color.


    Daisy, I think Eglantyne is still being sold by DA, but in your climate it might grow too large. It fits the voluptuous and perfumed part of the description, though. Diane

  • 7 years ago








  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Flowers, don't you dare feel sorry that you suggested these roses to me. The wonderful photos you posted are to die for. If DA Roses is so shortsighted as to drop these wonderful roses, without warning, it is certainly not your fault. They will never have wonderful, classic roses that people will still be planting in 200 years time, with their current business practice. All they will do, is make potential customers so annoyed that they will turn away from DA to other rose growers. Your post showed me just what I was looking for. It was as though you read my mind. In fact everybody has given some wonderful suggestions and I am very grateful for them.

    I have just been out to look at the site again and what will work there is limited. It has to be a bush rose of no more than three and a half feet high and wide, with a lax habit. It is on a higher bank above a dry stone wall. When I stand next to it, my head is just above the wall and I had a thought of a romantic, perfumed, full petalled rose planted there that would greet me every time I walked there.

    I already have Boscobel and Will Shakespeare 2000 and I grew William Morris in Cornwall where it grew over my pergola.

    I do like the look of Janet. However, DA website describe her as 4 feet tall and having a light, medium scent. They also describe her, on the same page as having a strong tea rose fragrance! Oh I have just seen. She is out of stock. Back to the drawing board.

    Diane, Those are wonderful photos. Noseometer, thanks for letting me know that Bishop's Castle would have been too big, it does help. Sylvia, that is a good rose, but only available your side of the pond.





    My William Shakespeare 2000



    My Boscobel, in it's first year.





    William Morris in Cornwall. Sorry, not good photos.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, your garden is just stunning...truly inspiring photos! I'm taking notes of all of your gorgeous flower combinations as well.
    For your rose quest I had been thinking Desdemona because the fragrance is so strong and lovely, but I don't think the shape is too lax? It's small and likes the heat which is a bonus though! She still has buds and it's almost new years! (these pics are not from today). Still not sure if the growth habit would be right? I just transplanted 2 more to a full sun front of the bed position. For being a delicate looking rose, it takes the heat rather well.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • 7 years ago

    Olivia Rose Austin is compact, and recommended for small spaces. Even though the Austin website says 4 feet tall, you might be able to keep it pruned to three feet. I planted mine in spring 2016. In my cold zone it's been 2 feet tall, I think it will be under 3 feet tall at maturity...

    The blooms are perfect rosettes like an Alba rose. The fragrance is moderate sweet rosewater. It has good repeat bloom.




    With a petal from William Shakespeare 2000

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Krista_5NY
  • 7 years ago

    What exquisite photos everyone! Thank you. However I just admit to a feeling of disappointment. When I first saw the thread title, I immediately opened it expecting to find a picture of Daisy and Tabitha artfully draped along the ground in front of one of her roses. Mary

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • 7 years ago

    I second Olivia

    The color is so romantic. It is always in bloom in full sun. Nice fragrance and not overly tall.



    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, do they have Sister Elizabeth? It's a short, draping rose with a beautiful lilac pink color. It's been so long since I've had it that I don't remember whether it's fragrant, but I believe it is. It's one of my favorite Austins.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, Daisy. I felt like such a dunce. This thread is wonderful with the detailed descriptions that help all of us making plans for 2019. I have found some new ideas and scratched off some others. It's a good thing I don't live near you, Daisy, because I'd be a bigger pest than Japanese Beetles! I especially love the pic of your Wm. S 2K with the perfectly matching rose campion / lychnis. The gray foliage sets everything off. It gets overly aggressive here, so I'm always pulling some out. I see a little guara peeking in, too, another beautiful, lacy rose companion.

    Maryc, you gave me the best laugh of the morning.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 7 years ago

    In case it is helpful to anyone, here is a picture of my Little White Pet. In my zone 9 Northern Calif garden (cool wet winters, warm very dry summers) it is bullet proof, and blooms continuously. It never gets taller than about 2 1/2 ft, which is very unusual for almost any rose in our climate. Clean always. Not fragrant, however. It does not droop much, but it does always keep covered with leaves and blossoms, all the way to the ground. This one has been cut back & dug up in a hurry twice during outdoor plumbing leaks emergencies, thrown into a wheel barrow for several days, and then bounced back better than ever rapidly when replanted.

    Jackie

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked jacqueline9CA
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you for that visual, Jackie. I think she would make a great addition to my poly bed. Not every rose needs to be fragrant, I guess. Especially when others surrounding it are and it's healthy!

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Jackie, could you direct me to the thread where you discuss the hardware you use to train climbing roses up walls?

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • 7 years ago

    I am afraid that I am not clever enough with computers to do that, but I can tell you that my DH uses a thing which is supposed to be for hitching horses (which is why it is strong enough to carry the weight of massive roses). I think it is made of stainless steel. It has a plate with holes for bolts or long screws to go through to attach it onto the house. From the plate dangles a very strong circle of metal, which is the part you tie the roses to. My camera broke, and I got a new one for Christmas - when I figure out how to use it, I will take a picture. Meanwhile, I found this pic on the internet - I don't know if it is exactly the same, but it is the idea:

    Jackie


    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked jacqueline9CA
  • 7 years ago
    I just wanted to say your garden is beautiful and an inspiration! is that a strawberry tree you have in the background? What rose variety is the climber in the back? And do you mind sharing the shorter purple flowering plants you have towards the front of your picture?
    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
  • 7 years ago

    Thank-you all again. My post keeps disappearing, so, I am going to try short ones.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Thank-you Krista and Kristine. I do already have Olivia Austin.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Thank-you Ingrid, but a lilac pink rose would not work with those colours.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Thank-you Jacqueline. I do like Little White Pet. I have grown it before. But I was hoping for something a little more voluptuous there.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Comtesse, my brother lives in Devon. In a little village near Tiverton.

    I lived in a perfect tiny village near St Columb Major.

    My daughter lives in Penzance.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    I am so sorry that my replies seem terse, but I lost 4 long replies, yesterday and to-day.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Maryc. Brilliant!!!! If it were not pouring with rain, I would ask DH to take a photo of Tabitha and I recumbent beneath a rose.

    Or, there again, perhaps not.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Hutchae84. Thank-you, but I am a little confused. Tell me which photo you mean.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Tiffandrew, I think you may have hit the nail on the head with Desdemona. At first I thought oh! she is lovely but I didn't really want another white rose. But then I thought, if the buds are peachy pink, then the overall effect will be of soft colour. She has the perfume I must have and if she is not procumbent, then at least she is not too big for it to matter so much.

    I think she could work!!!!

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Sorry again all you lovely people for the short replies. I do not mean to seem so abrupt. Even the reply to Tiffandrew, I had to post part way through and then edit to finish!

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Flowers, I wish you did live nearby. It would be lovely to share with someone. Thank God for this forum.

    Daisy

  • 7 years ago

    Oh, Daisy, don't worry information point. We've all had to deal with the silliness of Foose. In fact I can't edit what I write so the sounds ridiculous oh, but you get the idea! :-)

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, I have 1 Desdamona in ground ( so new that no blooms yet ) and 3 ordered. I am pretty excited about that one. That pretty blush just gets me

    Which ever one you choose it will be fabulous. You have such a good eye for design and color.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 7 years ago

    That's great Daisy! I hope Desdemona works well for you. The scent really is lovely. She works so hard to keep blooming too! The buds definitely are peachy pink and there have been times where the blooms glow with those colors too! These aren't the greatest pictures, but they give you an idea on her color variability. Keep us posted on what you do end up putting there. I'm sure whatever you decide will be lovely!

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • 7 years ago

    Just for fun too, you mentioned that you have strawberry hill on order. My 1 year old strawberry hill gave me a bloom yesterday that I clipped for a tiny bouquet with some marjoram. The scent of stawberrry hill is so intriguing, I can't stop smelling this tiny bloom!

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • 7 years ago

    Hi Daisy, the below picture is the one I was referring too. I don't know why I thought that was a strawberry tree last night when it looks to he an orange tree.

    but I was curious what the rose you have on the wall is and the violet/purple flower you have towards the front of the picture?

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
  • 7 years ago

    Thank-you for those extra photos Tiffandrew. Strawberry Hill looks good too. I am looking forward to growing it up a pomegranate tree with Spirit of Freedom. I find that the older I get, the more roses I need. There is a philosophical debate for you!

    hutchae, the rose on the wall was bought as Felicia, but it is not that rose. I believe it is Cornelia. It blooms a lot in the spring and early summer and again in the autumn. It also has a few blooms during the summer. It does have a lovely perfume.

    I will look to see if I have more photos of it.

    The purple flower in front is one of the Verbena x hybrida. They come in a variety of colours and are very useful in pots and at the front of beds.

    Daisy


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Cornelia is mixed up with Abraham Darby on the wall of the derelict house next door.

    Daisy









  • 7 years ago

    Daisy, roses like the last photo make my knees go weak. Is that Cornelia?

  • 7 years ago

    Such a gorgeous garden, Daisy! It's visual poetry, and so satisfying to see when my own garden is derelict. Thank goodness for the internet which allows us to "borrow" others' gardens in such a satisfying way.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    That Cornelia with Abraham Darby is a perfect combo! They really compliment each other. Beautiful...

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • 7 years ago

    How about Young Lycidas? I've read it's extremely fragrant and great for hanging over a wall.

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Good suggestion Vap, Young Lycidas is a beautiful drapey rose of glorious color


    .

    daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 7 years ago

    Thank-you vaporac and Kristine, I do already have Young Lycidas.

    Lovely photo Kristine.

    Daisy

0
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio