Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21888603

Had to have more

7 years ago

I couldn't do it, I had to have roses out the front. I have chosen two Monsieur Tillier for thier "Earth Kind" hardiness and thier coraly flowers and lush, colorful foliage.
They should look good alongside the Strelitzia and Frangipani, as well as help to screen off the neighboring yard.

Comments (28)

  • 7 years ago



  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Comptesse.
    I haven't posted much recently as the forum no longer seems compatible with my phone (basically deletes my words as I type...), so have had to resort to cutting and pasting a post typed in notepad.
    But I have been lurking!
    The pot pets are loving life, I think they benefit from the partial shade cast by the cocos palm and the shed behind. Sophies Perpetual is covered in buds at the moment and I fear I am going to have to slash Perle d'Or back when the current flush ends.
    I also bought two Hugo Roller last weekend to add to my potted collection


  • 7 years ago
    I posted the above Bec I did not want to be so lenghty. Pls do post more pics of your roses and also more of the Hugo Roller since it has bi colours and changes many colours from pink to red to cream...haha
    There is another breeder in Australia. I can't remember names now but Kim poster it recently. His roses looks amazing and wish I can buy some but you can...
    Everything looks great, Adam. Thanks for posting your thread . It must be very challenging , annoying and frustrating. Thanks for being here with us :)
    jin
    User thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    Everything PlumeriaGirl said! Please continue posting when able. Also, don't use the app. I find it easier to use voice recognition on my phone, but it's hard to edit right away. You need to post and then go back in to edit.

    User thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you FloridaGirl and Vaprovac. I will persevere.
    The front yard is about 90% done now. It looks a bit rough, but I am trying to leave more space for plants to fill out (something I didn't always do very well). I am going to be putting in some yellow Strelitzias and some more Aloes though.
    I also hope I can arrange some greenwaste mulch in future so it doesn't look so much like a sand pit.
    I feel like a monster because because I have been pinching all the buds off of the Hugos so they focus on roots and leaves. So many buds :(








  • 7 years ago

    Thank you FloridaGirl and Vaprovac. I will persevere.
    The front yard is about 90% done now. It looks a bit rough, but I am trying to leave more space for plants to fill out (something I didn't always do very well). I am going to be putting in some yellow Strelitzias and some more Aloes though.
    I also hope I can arrange some greenwaste mulch in future so it doesn't look so much like a sand pit.
    I feel like a monster because because I have been pinching all the buds off of the Hugos so they focus on roots and leaves. So many buds :(






  • 7 years ago






  • 7 years ago




  • 7 years ago




  • 7 years ago

    Great photos Adam. I too am so happy you are adding more roses. All is looking wonderful.

    User thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Adam, your garden and bed looks so clean. I wish mine will look like that. Plumerias look lovely and your roses are in great condition and growing well. I see blooms :)
    when you said green waste mulch are you referring to as green manure like a mulch. I am doing green manure like how farmers do. I bought a 2 pounds of crimson cloves as green manure. Tomorrow, I will be planting the seeds . I did not get the chance to do seeding this week so tomorrow is my chance.
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Plumeria Girl, greenwaste mulch refers to shredded street tree and garden prunings from tree loppers. It has the correct particle size and N:C.
    I have mulched my new roses with lupin ttash mulch. I can't get alfalfa, but this stuff is pretty good for improving the soil.

  • 7 years ago

    Adam, of course you need roses in the front, and your choice is perfectly compatible with your other plants. Your roses in those gorgeous pots look fabulous! Your property has so much potential for ever more roses, front and back, and I'm so glad you got rid of that boring lawn. Your front yard is going to rock!

    User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Ingrid.
    I'm actually thinking of squeezing my Madame Isaac Pereire seedling in just behind Archiduc Charles. I'm not sure what the blooms will be like, but the growth looks gangly.
    I was pleasantly surprised when I started digging that bed. The soil on the southern side of the garden is extremely hard and full of limestone rubble. The northern side is soft, deep yellow sand. Still not ideal for roses, but easier to dig up and improve with manure.



  • 7 years ago

    Adam, I’m interested to see how you like Mdm Isaac Pereire (sp?) She‘s on my wish list!

    User thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • 7 years ago

    I used to have 2 MIP in my old garden. Such a stunning flower, but the plant does get black spot and mildew, and was THE ONLY rose in my garden to get rust. But I could overlook all that for the perfume. This plant is actually a seedling that came up under the original plant, she sets a lot of hips.
    The plant is very awkward. Good for growing against a post, or you can peg the cane horizontally along the ground.

  • 7 years ago

    Adam, think she’d like being along a fenceline?

  • 7 years ago

    I’m also really glad you persevered Adam! Thanks for posting. It’s great to see other fledgling gardens coming along, and I love learning about your locale! :-)

    User thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Oursteelers, yes I think she would love it. But you need to think espallier rather than climber. The canes are upright, but pliable.
    If you Google or Facebook image search you can see how people are using her to her best advantage.

  • 7 years ago

    Do you know what mineral(s) are attributed to the yellow color of your sand? I know here in Florida it’s sulphur, which I’m glad for. Your yellow is much more golden, which makes me think it could something else? :-)

  • 7 years ago

    The colour is due to iron and aluminium compounds coating the sand grains. You can see near the surface the sand fades to grey where it leeches out. The worst thing about it is that its hydrophobic, so the water just runs off the top unless you use soil wetters and add organic matter.

  • 7 years ago

    Very interesting! Our sand behaves much the same...completely hydrophobic, unless amended. Gray beach sand is how I’d describe our native soil. I don’t hit the yellow stuff until about 18-24 inches down.

  • 7 years ago

    and the Bourbon is in.


  • 7 years ago

    My apologies, I had meant to respond earlier.
    That one was Sophie's Perpetual. Hugo had only one small cream bloom edged in carmine.