Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Mostly Mme. Leon Pain

I was sent this rose instead of the La France I ordered, and it's not a rose I would willingly choose since it's tall and gangly, but I've grown somewhat fond of it since it blooms with great regularity and has not had one sign of disease. It's a keeper.

Comments (15)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mme. Leon Pain and a bud of Bishop's Castle

The Madame again with a pretty bloom of SdlM

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    Ingrid, mdm Leon Pain looks like a keeper. It is gorgeous. looks so much like a tea rose. Love all the pics :)
    jin
    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's rarely seen in commerce, and it's been interesting to grow an early rose that's not often seen.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

What a treasure, Ingrid. This rose is a survivor.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

I'm glad you kept it to, and glad she's doing so well for you! She is beautiful!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Alana8aSC
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Very pretty! Is she fragrant?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago

She's beautiful Ingrid. Such lovely shades of pink!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

What an exquisite rose and p all in the perfect setting. I was wondering if this rose would survive for me given that it's a child of Mme. C. Testout, but then I saw it's not sold anywhere. Oh well. Please feel free to tell us all her secrets. : )

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

It sure is lovely! I love the soft color, and I’m glad you still have blooms. I really like that dark colored vase behind your bouquet, too! Lisa

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mme. Leon and I thank you for all the lovely compliments. Alas, she has very little fragrance, which probably explains her lack of popularity and availability. There are many roses superior to this one but I'm learning to love what I have rather than to lust after what I don't. She's plenty tall to escape the ravages of the wabbits and that's pretty well rule no. 1 in this garden!

• Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

Ingrid, I can see why you would want to keep it, really beautiful, spectacular blooms.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Krista_5NY
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, Krista. Now that I've pruned this rose, and a few of the others, there are practically no blooming roses left. However, SdlM does have buds. It's a rose that just wants to bloom all the time here since freezing nights are a thing of the past.

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Ingrid, I’m just curious. Have you had any frost this winter? I sure did a few weeks ago! A few tender plants froze their foliage down to nothing. I assumed you would get a little colder than I do because of your higher elevation.

Iochromo cyanea ‘Mr. Plum’ had all his clothes frozen:) I’m sure the roots are just fine, so he’s still in line for moving into the corner behind Annie Laurie McDowell. I know that’s an ugly picture, but there’s lots to be done around here:)

I was also hoping to hear a bit about that dark vase shown in your pictures #4 and #5. It’s lovely as are your roses, of course! Lisa

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So sorry, Lisa, forgot to answer you about the vase. It's early 20th century Chinese to the best of my recollection, but could even be mid 20th century. It doesn't fall within the 18th to 19th century period that comprises most of my collection so I'm lamentably ignorant about it, except that I love the freedom of how the scenes are painted.

We have not yet had any freezing weather up here. One reason may be our elevation since frost flows downhill, and the other is our protected location with the shelter of hills and rock formations on two sides, and a tall juniper hedge in the back. For sure your plants should come back in early spring at the latest. No need for apologies about your garden. It took me three days to prune Rosette Delizy, and there are still thick, dead canes for Cecil to saw off. First he has to change the hood over our cooktop! It's so frustrating to have so little energy when there's so much to do, but it's either done very slowly or not at all, so believe me I understand.