0

Hosta H 2018 ....

Ok right letter and the right day. Back to the grind so show me some Hs today:

• Saija

Halcyon

Harry van Trier (it's still in baby hosta bed, next summer in new bed)

Holy Moly

Hyaga Urajiro

Saija

• sunnywood 5aChazyNY

Hadepends Blue

Hakumuo

Half n Half

Hans. New this year. Supposed to be an upgrade from Andrew.

Heatwave

Hercules

High Society

Holywood Lights

Holy Moly

• Karin Black Cat

You would believe that my cat understands me if you see how he reacts when I ask him 'do you want some cheese?'...

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Halcyon sharing the garden space.

Sherry

• hostas_for_barb

Sunnywood and Karin - such amazing collections of Hs!

Holy Mouse Ears

A new Holy Mouse Ears that has some strange colouring going on.

Hadspen Blue

Hanky Panky

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

So funny Paula! Great H's everyone!

Halcyon - What it did look like.

Halcyon after being repeatedly eaten by deer this year and that was with spraying it...nasty deer!

Hands Up is definitely getting planted this year.

Hanky Panky

Holy Mouse Ears

• oursteelers 8B PNW

So far HankyPanky and Hercules are my winners for the day!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

I'm impressed (as usual) with these beautiful H hostas!!..I think Hot Kiss and Holy Mouse Ears would look great in my garden..

there's a Halcyon in here..
    Honeybells..someone said they think this is a Royal Standard..the fragrance is exceptional..this is a Royal Standard below (didn't bloom)..I didn't want to argue but I feel like my fabulously fragrant one is Honeybells..
    these cartoons belong in H..

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Oops! Forgot my Holy Mouse Ears!

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nicholsworth, such a lovely garden shot! You’ve done such a great job!

Sherry

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

aww thanks Sherry!..I really do try..I bought 3 royal blue pots last year because I loved yours..

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada

Halcyon close up and below is a farther one. I love how blue it stays for me. Only 1 H.

• Beth (5b - Mid-Michigan)

Love the H's Holy Mouse Ears looks great. Here are my H's

Hadspen Blue

Halcyon

Harpoon, new this year

Hidden Cove, also new this year.

High Society

Hudson Bay, taking it's time to get growing.

• mbug_gw

Wonderful H's above....quite a few are new to me.....always nice to see something new.

Halcyon

Hanky Panky

Happy Dayz

Heat Wave

Honey Pie

Hoosier Harmony

• hostas_for_barb

Sunnywood, your Hans is quite nice, Is there something about 'Andrew' that needed to be improved? I have had mine for a few years and have been quite happy with it. It is a slow grower but other than that I have no complaints.

Peren, your Holy Mouse Ears is amazing and so big. Mine has not grown much at all. :(

I laughed about your 'Hands Up' comment because I bought mine this year and it is still waiting to go in the ground too!

• mountainy man z8 Ireland

Hirao Majesty, back row on left

Hollywood Lights

Hyacinthina ( never sure whether to put this in F or H)

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

mountainy man..your Hollywood Lights is just perfect..I'm testing my knowledge..is that a Stiletto on the bottom right below Hollywood Lights?..

• StevePA6a

nicholsworth, after studying the HL pics, I'm pretty sure the first of your questioned fragrants, is Royal Standard. Honeybells doesn't have the puckering I see in your photo.

Your second fragrant, I'm pretty sure is plantaginea...not that I'm a supreme expert, just going by my observations.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Steve..you're not alone..ademink said 'Honeybells' was a Royal Standard..I'm not sure that it always has so much puckering..we did have cold temperatures in early spring as the hostas were coming up..I'll study it this year..my Royal Standard was a gift from someone's garden..they told me "I think it's a Royal Standard"..I wouldn't bet my life on it..I do have a Plantaginea..the leaves are lighter but it gets nice morning light..the Royal Standard doesn't..as usual my hosta ID's are iffy lol..thanks for your help..

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Sunnywood & Denis I am always impressed with Hollywood Lights. Hercules really grabbed my attention last year and just did it again.

Thanks Barb your HME will get there. Mine is probably 7 yrs. old. LOL my Hands Up should have been planted two yrs. ago. May we both get them in the ground this year!

mbug Happy Dayz & Heat Wave are very nice!

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

sunnywood, nice looking Hollywood Lights

hostas_for_barb & Sherry, Cute pics of Holy Mouse Ears. I like when the leaves are round and still look like mouse ears.

peren.all, sorry to hear you have such persistent deer in your area. :-( ... Beautiful Hanky Panky!

Halcyon

Hampshire County

Hands Up, new this year. Not much to look at but it is in the ground. ;-)

Hanky Panky, not looking as good as it used to. Reverting? It's supposed to look like this? Needs more/less sun? ....Oh, well

High Society

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Lots of pretty Halcyons! Here’s mine, planted in 2016:

Hi Ho Silver, new in 2018, overwintering in the garage:

Honey Pie x2... I may have shared this photo previously, they were planted in 2016:

Edited to say- I will try to get better pics of Honey Pie this summer...pics that show the plant a little better. I think this was more about the fountain after DH finished setting it up. I do like Honey Pie. It’s not quite as yellow as I would like, but holds up pretty well in sun, and grows well.

• old_dirt

Really think i need a little Hanky Panky in my life! Bah, to old for that anymore but there seems to be quite a variation from one plant to another, even in the HL.

Harriet Ward

Hudson Bay

Halcyon

Holy Mole, is there a Holy Moly?

Honeybells, yes nicholsworth the fragrance is fabulous.

Hadspen Blue

High Society

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

old_dirt..to me your Honeybells sure looks like mine (the one up for debate)..mine perfumes that whole area..I have 2..there's a second one nearby..

• Tiddisolo Wales UK

Only one H to offer.

I bought Hotspur more years ago than I can remember.

It arrives every year as a single shoot and appears to have no desire to increase in size.

2018 it suddenly leapt out at me bigger and more beautiful than it's ever been.

So remarkable I took pictures.

H. Hotspur

For some reason Houzz doesn't like photos taken in portrait orientation.

Click on them for the full picture.

Dave

• ConnieMay

Dave- I was having the same issue with portrait. I first just tried reposting the same photo, but that didn’t work. I then cropped my photo, just a little, and reposted it and that seemed to fix the issue.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Dave and ConnieMay..some of my pics look distorted too..I'll try cropping..

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I’d say patience has served you well Dave! That Hotspur looks great!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Old Dirt- all of your hostas are beautiful, but that Hudson Bay is a Wow! I had one a couple years ago that never made it past the first season. Those big round leaves are amazing... what’s your secret... sun, or the more Northern location? (Or maybe I just had a dud.)

• steve duggins - Ohio

Hanky Panky goes through a transition, starting yellow outside green inside to green outside and yellow inside. Probably why there's so many different looking pics.

• steve duggins - Ohio

Picked Happy Dayz up on sale in 2016 and it's grown very well for me- fast and full. Love the way it starts bright yellow (nice pic, mbug) and stays yellow until turning parchment by the end of August. Here it is end of July

and end of August. Plus the streakiness makes every leaf different.

Picked up High Society in mid July and mine is darker, probably due to different exposure.

High Voltage is also new to me last year:

Hollywood Lights has been a slow grower for me. Planted in 2016, here it is in July:

and here's Holy Mole (with Luna Moth)

How About That!

• steve duggins - Ohio

I also picked up this Honey Pie/Honey Bear combo. Hoping I get one eye of each next year!

• old_dirt

windymess, Thank you. I've never done anything special for Hudson Bay. It gets dappled shade most of the day and no full sun. It is 6 years old and has never been disturbed.

Steve, thank you for that progression of Hanky Panky. Interesting and now on my want list.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland

Nicholsworth, thanks, sorry for the 18 hour wait, you are correct with Stiletto well done.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

mountainy man..hey I got one right!..I'd like to have a Stiletto..I tend to recognize the ones that I want and don't have..

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

steve, nice progression pics of Hanky Panky. I was complaining about mine because I thought it looked that way all season, but you encouraged me to look back in my photos, and when it came up in May it did have that early color and changed later on. I will cut it some slack and like it again. I guess it's just living up to its name. lol. .....Your Happy Dayz is really nice, also!

The only early pic I have of HP to the left of Halcyon. It mostly has wider yellow borders but I think I see some slim margins, too. I'll have to pay more attention to it this spring.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Oh yes, I’m sold on Hanky Panot now too.

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    HumpBack Whale. It has been in my garden since 2014. Very slow for me. I didn't see any pictures of this hosta in this thread, so I am concluding that it is not very popular. I have given it some good compost and fertilized in 2018 along with a lot of watering.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Shadow, from the name I’m assuming Humpback is a giant? I know they are notoriousoy slow so maybe this is the year yours leaps. Fingers

crossed!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Shadow I have it coming in spring and I am looking forward to it. Yours is very nice and good things are worth waiting for!

• steve duggins - Ohio

Thanks all. I first planted Hanky Panky in May 2016 (got a good sized one on sale) and with all the variability it certainly had its "bad hair" days, but seems to have less of those with maturity. Here it is in early August of that year

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Shadow- even though HW may be slow, the plant looks good, and I love those big round leaves! Patience....

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Loving the H's!

I don't have too many H. photos, but noticed that I hadn't taken photos of several of my small H's. Darn!

Half and Half (new for me). I think I am going to like this hosta!

Hudson Bay

Hush Puppie (also new this year)

Love your jokes Paula! Thanks for taking your time to find such great ones!

I really like that Hollywood Lights sunnywood, mountainyman and Steve. Hope 2019 will be the year your Hollywood Lights leaps Steve. I remember seeing it a private garden. I have never forgotten how gorgeous it looked.

Hadspen Heron looks so cute in that blue pot Karin.

Beautiful Hanky Panky's Karin, hostasforbarb, peren.all, mbug, sandyslopes and Steve (thanks for the progression photos!).

What a gorgeous Holy Mouse Ears peren.all! Perfection! I think the Hosta Library could use your photo to set an example for all!

Love all the High Society's. Love the different coloration on Happy Dayz, mbug and Steve.

My Hands Up didn't get planted either!

Olddirt your Hudson Bay is so lovely. I love big, beautiful leaves and it certainly has that!

Sorry Hotspur took so long to increase tiddisolo. It is quite the looker now.

Shadow, your Humpback Whale looks very nice! Is it possible it is planted too deep? Can't quite tell from the picture. Easier to correct now, than later.

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada

NHL- I gave Humpback whale some TLC last spring so hopefully it will be a help in the growth .

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

I hope your Humpback Whale puts on some good growth in spring, Shadow. Spring is an exciting time and will be even better if your HW cooperates!