0

What do y’all do with the cool drawstring bags?

Annette Holbrook(z6b-7a)
last modified: January 10, 2019

Since we’ve acquired our new mountain cabin, I’ve been buying sheets and towels en masse. So many of these sets come in nice little drawstring bags or envelope closure bags. I have kept all of them in a pretty little stack. I just can’t figure out how to use them. I would never be able to get the sheet sets back in there, so that’s out!

Ideas?

• DawnInCal

It they aren't too big, they make good shoe bags for traveling.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Handbag storage

• Elizabeth

Make a small pillow sham ... pillow matches sheets! I'm thinking of the fabric ones. Plastic zipper bags hold yarn to keep the cat out of it.

• Hot Rod

I throw them away. They're just clutter.

• ci_lantro

Yep. Trash. I do hang onto the big zippered ones and use those for storing out of season or surplus stuff.

• mamapinky0

I like them for use in the boys room. Art supplies, small pieces to toy sets, gloves, mittens, ski hats, lots of little odds and ends.

• nickel_kg

If they were good enough to save, they are probably good enough to donate to a charity shop of some kind.

• Annette Holbrook(z6b-7a)

So I have found a use for the big, plastic zippered bags that comforters come in. I have bought all of my kids a set of towels to use when they come visit us in the mountains. They bring their towels to use for the visits and take them home to wash, dry and pack for their next trip. We have very small laundry facilities here and I was spending days doing laundry after every visit. Now I just have to do bedding and they do their own towels. It has worked out wonderfully and they love having their own special set.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX

The fabric drawstring type are good for use in closets or drawers as sachet bags. In closets fill with cedar shavings and hang in the closet. Good in cars too.

• joyfulguy

Probably many are too small to use in which to pack groceries at the checkout.

They've been charging us a nickel or a dime for those supposedly single-use ones for about a couple of years, as they are trying to cut back on their use, since they make so much garbage and break down into tiny pieces that raise havoc with the fish and the oceans.

ole joyful

• arcy_gw

Up unnecessary wrappings that make for more WASTE, clutter, frustration.

• wednesday morning

These fabric bags are not quite the right size and shape for most of the uses that many have suggested.

While I am pleased to see that they are not plastic, I also think that they are unnecessary. I see no reason why the sheet sets cannot just come banded with a cardboard band.

Trying to find a use for them is like trying to find a problem for a solution.

Currently, all I have are the small ones from baby sheets or pillowcases. I go back and forth about getting rid of them. Right now I am using them to hold my small knitting projects.

I also use some of them to keep small items in my suitcase. But, neither of those two uses serve real needs.

Some of the sheet sets come in fabric bags that are secured with velcro.

• OklaMoni

Put a couple in your suit case, for next trips dirty laundry?

• Toomuchglass

The sheets and blankets I bought came in a clear,square, heavy duty Zippered plastic bag. I have quite a few now . I usually give them away.

• bpath Oh Sophie

I gave several of those zippered bags to a neighbor who makes custom t-shirt quilts. She used them for delivering or shipping the quilts. The fabric bags are smaller but would be perfect for the smaller t-shirt things she makes like baby quilts, lap throws, small pillows.

• Elmer J Fudd

" Trying to find a use for them is like trying to find a problem for a solution. "

+1

• janey_alabama

You can put them in a box for Operation Christmas Child. One day at work we were stocking purses that each came in a draw string bag. A person passing thru was from Samaritan's Purse, she said that the children could use them to carry school supplies in. Or what ever in, we handed most of them over to her. The ones we kept we packed in the boxes that we did for them. we never would have thought of that.

• Raye Smith

I use the plastic zippered bags to store spare linens. Just make sure the item is completely dry and I put cedar balls in with them. When I pull out an extra blanket or switch mattress covers I know the item is clean and dust-free.

I've also used them to store clean clothes when camping with a friend that has severe dust allergies.

• Elizabeth

The cotton drawstring bags are PERFECT for knitting projects. And cats who love wool, alpaca or cashmere can't get into them.

• lobby68

Same with the bags from purses and some shoes I buy each come in their own little bag. I appreciate them trying to make me feel special (I guess), but I really don't need eleventy bags. I like the sachet idea and I was hesitant about donating but if someone can use them for crafty things or kids need them, then I'm down with that idea!

• greenshoekitty

I like the draw string cloth ones. I have placed many things in them for small gifts like a jar or two of applesause, jam, or a loaf of bread. small craft things for the grands . They make much nicer wrappers then a paper bag.

• Sammy

@lobby68: generally, if a bag or a pair of shoes comes with a cloth bag it’s best to store the item in that bag between uses for protection. Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way—I have a vintage red Gucci bag of my mom’s, circa late 1980s, that’s pretty much ruined because it wasn’t properly stored. :/

• lobby68

@sammy, yeah, I know, but what I have is nowhere near Gucci level! I mean, some Tory Burch shoes come in those bags. They are pricey, but not bag-storing quality. That, and I am a lazy @ss and for stuff I wear frequently, no way do I have the patience to put them in and out of their bags!

• Sammy

@lobby68: ha! I hear you on that—and I’m actually the same way, really, and should’ve inserted “if you don’t expect to be using the item for a year or 20” in my advice. ;) Regarding Gucci: You might be surprised to learn that even Gucci is nowhere Gucci level—at least where quality is concerned. :/

• Sammy

I actually think those cloth bags are great for keeping sets of things together, like mittens or gloves that have matching hat and/or scarf. And if they have a drawstring or loop of some sort, you can hang them on hooks in those areas of dead space in your closet or loop them over the tops of the coats they match.

• matthias_lang

A cotton one saved us from having to make or buy a jelly bag. We put up jellies and jams every year, and had previously clogged up many a metal sieve trying to make do. The cloth works better and is easier to clean.

• joyfulguy

I think we're not looking for a new problem, but for extended usefulness for a product which, being already here and having finished its original use but having substantial potential usefulness remaining, is available for extended service rather than being considered junk at present.

It seems to me preferable for resourceful humans to find more use for things already here and in good condition rather than junking them and sourcing raw materials, hauling, purifying, manufacturing and more hauling, all at substantial financial and environmental cost.

Says a guy who lives within a couple of miles (a bit over three kilometres) from the garbage dump of Canada's largest city (that they call a "landfill").

That cost about 220 million, not many years ago.

They used to stash it at home ...

... then trucked it to the U.S.A. ...

... then bought it to this recently enlarged dump near us.

We don't need to "fill" the land ... or cover so much more of it imcrementally with cities, but it's essential that we preserve it to grow food for the population of the world, that's now almost eight times as large as it was only a few centuries ago ...

... and millions more are now eating better than they did until recently ...

... and want to buy refrigerators in which to store it.

ole joyfuelled ...

... who also likes some daily food

• einportlandor

I use a cloth bag to store the dog's poop bags! The bag hangs from a hook on the closet door along with his leash. Practical!

• RNmomof2 zone 5

I have a few good uses for the plastic zippered ones. I was donating items to Goodwill this week and used them to keep like items together. They can price the bag and put it out for sale. One of my DD's used to play travel volleyball. She would put an entire uniform in one bag--shorts, socks, top, knee pads, etc. We have used them for packing for trips to put socks, underwear, etc contained so the TSA people aren't rummaging through things.

• Fun2BHere

The cotton cloth bags are good for storing potatoes, apples, garlic and onions in the pantry. I hang the bags from Command hooks.

• sheilajoyce_gw

I use the large comforter plastic zipper or snap bags for storing yarn or completed projects. I use the sheet or blanket sizes for wrapping and gifting baby afghans I have crocheted. Small pillowcase snap or zipper clear vinyl bags hold my double pointed needles and my circular needles.

• wednesday morning

joyfulguy, if you are trying to establish an "extended use" you have a problem looking for a solution.

Unless you already have a need for the item and using it for that need prevents you from buying something else to satisfy that need, you have a solution with no problem.

That is, unless, you consider yourself to have the problem of trying to find a use for the thing that you don't need. Then, you have solved the problem of not having a problem to fulfill the solution.

Convoluted, isn't it? That is what happens to backwards logic.

I use them for my small knitting projects because I have them, not because I need them. They really are not serving a need that I would, otherwise, go out and buy something to use for that purpose.

There are many, many good things that come our way via the packaging or leftover whatever of the things that we buy. So much good stuff goes right in to the trash. Good that we try to find a use for it. Most times that is a fabricated need that it gets used for.

It seems that the best thing is to not create this stuff that serves no need, at all. Then, no one would have to have a garbage mountain in their neighborhood.

• Annette Holbrook(z6b-7a)

I like the idea of shoe bags. I’m always forgeting about having to pack shoes and at the last minute stuffing them in ziplock bags.

I can also see using them for the pantry.

• purrus

If you knit or crochet they make great project bags or bags for holding little stuff like notions.

• Rusty

Annette Holbrook, thank you for starting this thread! ! ! I was looking at my stash of yarn, seriously considering buying a plastic storage box to put it in, when this thread appeared. BINGO! Light bulb moment! I have a fairly good sized, square zippered plastic bag that a mattress pad came in. Perfect yarn storage! AND saved me having to buy a container for it! Why didn't I think of that! I'm pretty sure I have a couple from sheet sets, too. All I have to do is find them. . . . . .

Rusty

Annette Holbrook(z6b-7a) thanked Rusty
  • OutsidePlaying

I like the idea of storing potatoes, onion and garlic in the small cloth bags in the pantry. I don’t buy much of any of these for the two of us, so the small random cloth bags would be perfect. I have a stash of them from shoes in the closet and will use them. I have always used them for travel and when worn out just toss.

DH and I also use them for our headsets we use for target practice. We always carry around some extra earplugs in case someone forgets or doesn’t have their ear protection.

• Toronto Veterinarian

You didn't really describe the size of these, or what kind of fabric they are.......some ideas: Shoe bags, seasonal accessories bag (eg gloves or hats), power cord/charger storage (eg for suitcases when packing), sports/craft/hobbies accessories, etc.