Your shopping cart is empty.
Find the right pro for your project

Newbie to figs —

HU-581072999
January 11, 2019

Read everything i could. Put my 2 fig trees in the unheated garage. They are trying to come out of dormancy. Only been watered once a month. Can they be saved?

Comments (2)

• Jason (Zone 10b, San Diego)

Yes, nothing wrong with them. Hopefully your garage does not get too far below freezing.

If they break dormancy, I'd keep watering them, sparingly, but don't let them dry out. If you have a grow light, that would help provide some energy.

Or you can try and let them drop back into dormancy, I'm not sure how best to encourage or if it's a good idea.

• Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA

How much progress have the buds made, just swelling or leaves out also? The ideal temp over winter is like in your refrigerator, between 35-45°F. If no leaves yet, bring them down to the right temp range, and they will stop waking up, and stay suspended where they are. If leaves are out, still get them down to ideal temps. You may lose the leaves or they will get wonky, but the trees will do fine as they leaf out normally at the right time. Fig trees are extremely resilient, especially the vigorous varieties. What varieties are they?

Where are you, what zone? I suspect your garage is hotter than you think. Keep a thermometer hung where your trees are to find out. Then move them to a cooler spot in your garage if necessary.

Moses

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).