0

How should I cultivate/prune this grape vine

geotrin69

I have a grape plant that was given to me, it's older than 5 years. In 2017 it produced a lot of grape clusters, this past season, nothing. Not sure how to properly cultivate or prune it.

Photos would help. As would some indication of where on the planet you are growing this vine. How much sun does it get?

Basic Pruning Info for Grape Vines

• geotrin69

I uploaded a picture. Not sure why it's not showing. Also, I'm not sure how a photo would indicate the following info but here goes. I'm in southern California, Inland Empire area, the vine is in my patio and it gets approximately 3 hours direct sunlight (not my fault, it was planted by someone who didn't know it needed 6+ hours). I'll try to upload another picture.

With only 3 hours of sunlight, it will never flower and produce fruit!! If you want to harvest grapes, you will need to move it to a much sunnier location........6 hours would be an absolute minimum - you want at least 8 and more is better :-))

ETA: a photo is necessary for any pruning info. The other information helps us to give location-pertinent advice....it will not necessarily be the same everywhere!

• geotrin69

We've had the plant since 2014. It produced lots of vines and lleaves that year through 2016. In 2017 it produced lots of grape clusters. The following year, nothing but vines and large, green leaves again. Unfortunately, the way our patio is situated no matter where it's planted it will not get more than 3 hours of direct sunlight.

Concerning the photo, I keep uploading them but for some reason, apparently they're not showing. Not sure what to do about that. I'll upload again.

• geotrin69

Were you able to see the latest pics I uploaded yesterday?

I see no photos associated with this thread........

• geotrin69

Strange. There seems to be a pproblem with Houzz uploading capabilities. I've uploaded pics before. I'll have to contact them. I'll try one last time on this thread.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

When uploading photos, you have to wait for the initial grayed out image to show usual bright color before hitting submit. It takes a bit of time for the Houzz software to reduce photo size and upload it, especially with high resolution photos. It would be nice if they showed a spinning wheel or something so you know when it has finished uploading.

geotrin69 thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • geotrin69

I've waited but still the pictures aren't uploading.

• geotrin69

To all those helping me with my issue uploading pics, I would like to apologize. Evidently, I did not wait long enough for the pics to upload.

Now that that's out of the way, does anyone have any idea on how to properly prune/cultivate this grape vine? As mentioned in the initial comment, the plant is approximately 6+ years old. In 2017 it produced a lot of grape clusters. Since then, only long vines and large, green leaves.

• geotrin69

Here's sort of a close up. If you look closely you will notice the two main branches which then have two other branches growing from them. Should I prune those or cut off one of the main branches?

• geotrin69

Anyone have any ideas on how I should prune this grape plant?

Did you read the instruction on the link?

geotrin69 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • geotrin69

Didn't notice the link at first. Thanks. I'll take a look at it.