Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy25

Help Needed by Landscape Designer for Flagstone Backyard Patio -Please

christy25
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are trying to finalize plans for our backyard patio. I have a hard time visualizing things and need some help with some design details.

I’m attaching 2 drawings. Drawing #1 is a cleaner, however it doesn’t include the seating arrangements. In addition, the stepping stones leading from the patio to the laundry room door are shown incorrectly – those stepping stones should be butt up against each other, whereas the stepping stones going from the driveway to the laundry room door are to be spaced out with grass in between. Sketch #2 is a rough sketch, but does include some measurements, seating arrangements and better shows the correct stepping stone design. Below are the details that are included in the design, etc.

- I live in Bucks County, SE Pennsylvania, and the back of my home mainly faces the south. If you are looking out the back door, the sun rises to the left and sets to the right. I prefer more traditional looks and Bucks County farmhouse looks, vs contemporary design. I’m at the top of my budget currently.

- The upper patio (dining area) 20’x16’ and lower patio (sitting area) 14’x14’ will both be dry-laid with natural cleft flagstone. I have to still pick out the size of the slabs, but intend to use rectangular and square slabs larger than 1’x1’. There will only be 1 step down to the lower patio (that’s all that our grading accommodates). Do you think that the lower patio should be wider to line up with the edge of our family room, which is the room with the bump-out parallel to the lower patio – or aesthetically does that not matter once the beds are done?

- The landings will be concrete block faced with veneer stone (TBD) and capped with 1.5” bluestone treads. The backdoor landing will be 4’x7’ (currently shown incorrectly on sketch #1 as 2’x7’). The laundry room door landing will be 4’x4’ (currently shown incorrectly on sketch #1 as 2’x4’). I’m trying to decide if the laundry room door landing should be switched from 4’x4’ to 3’x4’ (just not sure if 4’x4’ will look right). Note, I do hang laundry outside & will be carrying baskets. Neither landing will have hand rails.

- I need help deciding on the size of the water feature. I was thinking of this one https://www.massarelli.com/mainproduct/67-vicenza-fountain recommended by the garden center that sells them

– it’s 67.5”h x 40.25”w. However, I’m not sure if it’s too large – I don’t want it to look obnoxious. They come in 25 different colors – I was thinking of getting a darker patina finish. I’m still trying to decide if I want a self-contained one, or one that utilizes a disappearing basin. If I use a disappearing basin, there will definitely need to be pea gravel (probably gray) around the perimeter to allow for water to get into the underground basin, which means less plantings in that bed. Our kitchen table in front of our back door, so the water feature will be a focal point, viewable from there. In addition, I want to be able to hear it from both patios. I currently have the firepit sitting in our backyard in the area that the fountain would go.

- The 24” sitting walls at the lower patio, like the landings, will be concrete block faced with veneer stone (TBD) and capped with 1.5” flagstone. I’m trying to decide if we should get the walls (or just one or both). I love the idea of more seating, but I’m concerned that they won’t look right when you are walking out the back door onto the patio. The wall that runs parallel to our family room wall, can be softened with a bush, etc. so I’m not as worried about that one. But the wall that runs parallel to the water feature will not be able to have bushes, but probably only some lower lying plants. Will the walls look right from the angle of the landing, or out of place? Our contractor said they will not be necessary, so it’s up to us.

- I’m attaching pictures of the front of my home, so that you can see the style, as well as the brick color. I’m conflicted on the stone veneer to use for the sides of the landings, risers and walls. I feel like I need to incorporate brick out there, but at the same time, I love the look of the stone used on old Bucks County farmhouses (google for images).

- I’m thinking of using this planter box below my kitchen window. https://www.kinsmangarden.com/product/Window-Box-Planter-44/Window-Box-Planters

- I haven’t even started thinking about bed design, trees & plantings, so I’m up for suggestions. The tree locations in Sketch #1 are fairly accurate, except the 2nd tree in from the left. That tree is actually going in the bed that juts into the patio – it will be in the bed above where the words “water feature” are on Sketch #1. I definitely can use suggestions on a tree that would work here long term – in other words, I don’t want the roots to damage the patio. Someone had mentioned a Crape Myrtle to me. Also, we are looking for low maintenance beds/plantings, as well as color that will come out throughout the different seasons.

- We will be getting LED low voltage 2700 kelvin lighting for under the steps, up-lighting for the trees and some lighting along the stepping stone path.

- We will have a wood fence on the side of our house that will disguise our 2 trashcans. It will match our existing fence at the front of our home (picture attached). However the trashcan fence will be taller, and the pickets might be slightly closer.

- So overall, I need help with:

o Lower patio width - should it be wider to line up with the edge of our family room?

o Veneer Stone choice for side of landings, risers and potential sitting walls.

o Sitting Walls - should we get one, both or neither?

o Fountain – what size?

o Bed design and plantings to bring color throughout the seasons in SE Pennsylvania.

o Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thank you so much! So many decisions and work involved with this.

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

"Any other suggestions would be welcomed."

As you're fairly far along in your efforts, you probably don't want to hear criticism of the concept, but I have to ask you about it and make a couple of comments. One thing that always seems wrong to me are elevation changes that go down only to go back up as one travels along the path (or the reverse of this.) From the house one immediately descends. As they continue to the lounge area they must return to a higher elevation. It would be better to bring the lounge level all the way to the stoop. (Fewer steps is better.)

It is fine to separate the patios from the house with plantings, but it begs a spacious connection, and in the plan it seems to narrow to me. Also, the plan is devoting some of that space to a very shallow bed alongside the family room. I would eliminate that bed in favor of a more spacious pedestrian connection. Why didn't you want to use a deck for the dining portion of the outdoor space. It seems like it would be a better solution on account of allowing the dining to happen at a more convenient level. There are so many ways to develop garden/plant interest, I don't think it is worth the sacrifice of of separating the dining from the house with a planting area, or necessarily having a patio instead of deck. It makes more sense to me to have the lounge area be patio, at a lower level, and separated from the house with plantings. I'm thinking that a simpler, more straightforward arrangement would be better for using the space, along the lines of this example:

(Of course, adjusting space and levels according to what is necessary.)

• christy25
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you. I really appreciate your time and the feed back.

The lower patio actually is a step down (not a step up, which is what I think you thought it was?). Also, I agree about the bed behind the family room. It was shown incorrectly in Sketch #1, it's actually supposed to be a 5' deep bed (including the fireplace bump-out) - do you think that is adequate?

I had the separation of patios with the one bed because I really wanted 2 separate, areas. I've been on many patios where it's almost one giant patio, and I don't prefer it. At my previous house, we also had a separation of areas with a bed, and I really liked it. I wanted the sitting/lounge area to be a cozy/separate area.

Thank you again, for you time and comments - I really appreciate other people's perspective and advice. :)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    5 years ago

Where is the mosquito repellent dispenser? Or the shade that is going to allow people to sit out during daylight?

Right now it looks like you are working on a project that is going to look really, really cool in photographs, and be relatively unusable in real life.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

I am not talking about the landscape strip at the wall with the bump-out. But around the corner, the wall adjacent to the entrance ... you have a bed that looks only 2 1`/2' or 3' deep. It'd be better to get rid of that entirely as there's no way to expand the depth without cramping the pedestrian space which is far more important.

And I wasn't suggesting necessarily that the dining and lounge areas be together though that's how they came out in my example plan. It was about having decent, uncontrived pedestrian access and the elevations (which you say we are already in sync on.) Per the pedestrian access, it looks to me like your plan has restrictive areas.

• christy25
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Mad - good observation :) We will be putting in shade trees. But honestly, I don't want a lot of shade - I love the sun, and my goal is to have a place I can sit in the sun. At the same time, will have a shade tree at the point where the sun is at it's hottest during the day as well as a few other trees, so that at least a portion of the patio has shade.

We don't have a major mosquito issue (thank God). But I will look into that, I never new there was such a thing. I wonder if there are non-toxic versions.

Thank You!

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

You also don't want dead space between the patio and house-nothing will grow there and the exposed fountain will look bad, yet another hardscape materal. And I agree with yardvaark that the walkways need to be opened up. Expanding the surface back to the house will help.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    5 years ago

some thoughts:

christy25 thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • christy25
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Dig Doug's Designs - Oh Wow! I wish I could do a mock up like that - I'm not tech savvy. Thank you so much for helping me visualize.

• christy25
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@greenfish1234 - I agree about limiting the # of materials being used. The front brick walkway was supposed to tie into the brick on our home. Maybe I can have the contractor that is doing the back yard, put a brick facing over the front porch stucco?

I'm going to check again with the contractor to see about raising the back yard patio, so that we can incorporate a retaining wall, but I'm pretty sure we can't.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Hm I don't see the stucco you are talking about but I really like your house and stucco breaks up brick facades really nicely. And it seems wasteful to replace your perfectly nice front walk. just use care limiting the materials in the back, and maybe bring some up front (like a stacked stone garden retainers in the same stone you use for your walls and risers) to tie it all in.

christy25 thanked greenfish1234
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Not exactly like this but it seems worth bringing in some fill to have the patio at door level like in this pic.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I see your door is at least one step up from your exposed foundation. Sometimes there are a few runs of clapboard laid over foundation so you might be able to go higher, but if not, one step is way better than several. And i like long, Broad, short steps outside for really easy flow so in this pic the patio comes up to the clapboard and the steps are less than 6" high, maybe 18" deep and much wider than the door.

• christy25
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@greenfish1234 If we can't raise the foundation all the way up to the back door, then are you saying to do away with the landing, and just do steps? We will be going in & out with food, etc. so that's why we wanted a landing - to steady ourselves.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

No, I like a big landing for exactly that reason, but if you can get it almost there, to just below the clapboard, which it seems you can, really wide steps with very short risers can act as a landing and would look much better than a small, door-width landing with steeper steps. Plus you won't need a railing which would really mess up your look.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Some ideas:

^^ something like this but with as few steps as possible, and even deeper treads. But look how they have 4 different hardscape materials in their ONE small area. Not good.

^^great example of wide treads, low risers. I love it. But I would want more of this at the doors so you dont step down from inside.

^^ love this-makes me think of your idea to have a garden surrounding a separate "room"

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

More thoughts if your doors open out, I would want the first step/landing to be as wide and deep as the full door swing. That is wasted space anyway and it will be more aesthetically pleasing

• christy25
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@greenfish1234 Thank you again for your input.

I'm attaching a better picture of the back door area. Our door is currently a slider door - not sure if that will be switched in the future to a french door. How far past the door should the steps/landing go? The further we go, the further we cut into that dead space next to our family room wall (to the right of the door). Also, the deeper the total of depth of the steps/landing combined, the deeper the bed gets to the left of the steps/landing, unless we don't make that bed as deep as the steps/landing, but not sure if that will look right.

I'm also attaching a pic of landing/steps I found on line. Not that I want curved steps or that material, but was wondering if I could turn that dead space into a raised planter on the landing. That way I can soften that area. If I did this though, not sure how far to bring out the planter - just to the last step, or to the edge of the back of the family room wall. In this pic, their dead space is probably 1/2 that of mine.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

That pic is exactly what I am hoping to help you avoid. When they make your patio they should have to bring in sand and gravel and such so hopefully that soon will raise the grade some but in the scope of the project some additional fill to raise it as high as possible will be so worth it. Other than being too tall visually it is also physically cumbersome to navigate SO MANY steps!

Look how much better it is with fewer steps:

On top of that, I would insist on no step down from the door, ideally the landing would be at door level. Finally, I would eliminate the planter. It is busy and messes up what should be an uncomplicated, serene space. I would bring the landing all the way to that wall and an equal distance to the left, and decorate it with brightly colored pots of flowers.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago