nidnay

It’s finally backsplash time!

nidnay
last year
last modified: last year

KITCHEN

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

SCULLERY/PANTRY

6 - Misc · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

Just finished up a new build (actually almost 6 months ago) and I finally found a tiler who I know and trust will do a great job (good tilers are not easy to come by).

I need splashes in two places...the main kitchen and our pantry/scullery. Here is a link to our new build which has photos of both these spaces. It will also give a feel for the entire house.

I don’t know what my style is. As you can see I have a white kitchen but I do not want a white subway tile backsplash. I need some contrast, but not too much. The perimeter counters are marble (honed Bianco Avion) and are very subtle. They are more of a creamy white with no gray in them and the veining is more beige. The island top is walnut. The walls are SW Useful Gray. I am afraid to commit to a color because I will then be stuck with it. I like bluish greens....maybe. I like herringbone but NOT chevron. Subway is fine but not the typical white subway. I like the look of bumpy lumpy handmade tiles. I do not like thin linear tiles. I am seriously considering doing a different tile behind the range even though many don’t like them....I actually do like them. I plan on going all the way up to the crown molding. I am questioning whether or not to do the wall with the triple window or just leave it the way it is.

The scullery/pantry is a workspace and very busy looking...lots of machines and dry goods on the shelves. Walls are SW Uncertain Gray (but they truly look blue to my eyes) and the cabinets are Amazing gray (which really looks beigeish to me). I really think they name all these paints “gray” just to sell them because everyone seems to want gray paint these days. The counters are wood...oiled maple.

I don’t want things to look too formal and fussy, although I’ve seen some gorgeous tiles that are a bit more elegant. I like to mix the feel up with relaxed and some more elegant touches.

I truly need help. I am dreading going to the tile store and dragging home samples.

Here is the stone we have on our fireplace in the adjoining greatroom that is opposite the kitchen.....

6 - Misc · More Info

• shwshw

I personally love white kitchens. Yours is stunning with the black accents.

• NewEnglandgal

Beth it looks fantastic. The lights are gorgeous and those bronze oven handles?? Wow. What will you have for flooring? Cannot wait to see it completed.

Help! Need to decide back-splash ASAP

Here are a few pictures of other units in our building that sold with the white cabinets. I feel they are too cold...but I am now kind of stuck with the white cabinet route. Also, unfortunately the 4 inch lip of granite has been removed, so I need to add a backsplash of some sort. I'm going to include a picture of my current kitchen with the cabinets off...I apologize in advance for the shocking state of my cabinets. Please keep in mind that we are in the middle of some home repairs/haven't decluttered before planning to move. Don't judge me too hard! One thing seeing it without the cabinets on is that I would really like a few with glass fronts - has anyone DIYd cabinets to be wood front to glass front, just thinking a few on either side of the stove? Just another idea.

help with brown quartz countertop and Carrara marble backsplash

leave the classic cabinets as is....I wouldn't even add hardware as there is a bit of a bevel for finger grip. Someone goofed a bit when it came to counter and backsplash....but its not the end of the earth. I'd get a dark slate/stone look vinyl sheet floor.....minimal veining ...nearly solid in other words. They can install it over the green stuff that's there. In a way...that sort of thing on the floor will make the backsplash "pop" a bit and then counters get so much on them I think the counter will be less an issue for a while. Wait then till you get time to look at things in a more coordinated way.

Backsplash design help!

Yes we get decent light. Each tile is slightly different too so the look like in the finished pic. It’s not all one solid color

Kitchen backsplash alternatives tiles

just because the stone is the star of the show doesn't mean the backsplash has to be the ugly friend! You can have a perfectly nice looking tile that just enhances the look of the stone. it just depends on the overall look of the kitchen. I love your cabinets and the stone. You can do something diff besides a plain white tile! lol this would be pretty too. if going w/the white, at least do a nice hand made glazed white tile. CleTile is one option this iridescent glass tile is also nice or, pick out the darkest color in the stone and use it.
  • wmsimons85

I agree, wow!!! It is looking beautiful. Can’t wait to see it finished

• jani

I love your black windows.. is that vinyl or wood? I'm thinking for my next house.

My refrigerator was a pain to fit in and I was doing a complete remodel. I only found one that fit well. I was told I couldn't get any fridge to fit. We did get an LG

Beth H. :

jani, from all the reviews I poured over, LG and Samsung (our previous one was Samsung and we did have some issues w/it) seemed to get a lot of complaints. The black window is a wood interior/vinyl clad exterior. Milgard Ultrex Integrity series.

Beth H. :

Molly, I love them! thank you!!! se below

Flo, prob the camera angle.

new sconce in the background.

Got a few backsplash samples from Tilebar. do I even have to ask which one?? lol

looking at first pic, from lt to rt

Esplenade, French Linen

Matrix trapezoid Calacatta and brass. the sheet size is 24"X 10",,(of course I like this one because it's the most expensive and I just looked and it's out of stock! when I ordered the sample, it wasn't. I guess others like it too)

Calacatta Tuscany. A OP on here liked my suggestion and used it in her kitchen. This is what it looks like installed ^. The Matrix option would look very similar, except w/the periodic brass inlay pieces.

Diesel Camp Black Rock

Nabi Jewel-Blanco crackle

the last one is the Brick metallic in Pewter, clay tile.

These are just my choices from Tilebar, I haven't even perused my tile shop yet!

• kariyava

Beth, I actually love the black and think it would make a striking backsplash in your kitchen, possibly with an accent over the stove (maybe the Matrix trapezoid Calacatta and brass?)

Beth H. :

or the black w/the brass inlay in the middle joints,,,like this one

Diesel Black camp rock (imagine it like above w/the brass middle joints)

Diesel Camp Gray Rock

that black Diesel also has the Black glazed ceramic option. shows a bit of the gray tones

and they have it in the gray glaze

here is a pic of the last tile sample on the far right. the Metallic Pewter brick

• kariyava

Yes that would be lovely!

• Molly

I like the first and last. I'm more of a symmetrical person.

Flo Mangan

First one is awesome!!

Beth H. :

Flo. first one meaning the French Linen Esplenade? (did you see the pic w/the pendants? I posted one w/both so you can see if the size is ok. scroll up a few comments)

and it comes in these other colors too (one is this black/gray/cindersmoke)

Or do we like the black/white and gray?

this one is the Meadow with soft blue/green and gray

I like that the pattern is larger. not a small basketweave.

other colors:

https://tilebar.com/esplanade-canyon-cloud-marble-tile.html

https://tilebar.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=esplenade

Window Accents by Vanessa Downs

Wow Beth your kitchen seems to be moving fast! It looks great and i love the bar light(s) and appliance. I can’t wait to see it all finished.

• suzyq53

Did you see the Wayfair marble I posted earlier? Asian and Statuary Marble.

Beth H. :

suzy, that for me? I have seen that but I think it's too 'blue' once installed.

• nidnay

It’s funny.....you’ll be finished with a complete kitchen remodel while I’m still contemplating my backsplash.

Beth H. :

lol,,I can't believe you still haven't decided on a splash yet! It's not an automobile! Girl, pick something !

Flo Mangan

Maybe you just don’t want a backsplash!

• wmsimons85

Haha Nidnay. Sounds like you‘re happy with how it looks now. If you need something for protection and you don’t want a slab, have you thought about some sort of special paint or plaster finish? Something you wouldn’t really see the difference from your walls but would be waterproof and easily wiped?

• NewEnglandgal

Nidnay I have faith in you. I know you will pick something beautiful!

• nidnay

Oh....I definitely want one. Just looks so naked without. I’ll get to it. Been so busy outside.

I’ve had to amend every stinkin hole I’ve had to dig. Like digging through concrete. And this is the nice garden soil the landscaper brought in. Nothing can grow in it. What should have been a simple and enjoyable task (planting all my perennials) has become a backbreaking, endless chore. And of course I’m lamenting over my nonexistent grass....so sad. I’ve got a dispute in process with my credit card company but unfortunately I didn’t put ALL the landscaping on the card...just a portion. And of course it’s all been paid. Because the guy finished up in the winter, I couldn’t realistically wait until spring to pay him. And much of the issues would not rear their ugly head until I got out in the garden and started working.

Flo Mangan

I feel so sad for you nidnay. It is really hard to plan and be excited about your beautiful yard and be so bitterly disappointed. But that’s gardening! I am confident both yard and backsplash will be stunning just going to take a bit longer than you hoped. Too hot to work in the yard anyway! Fall will be better. Work inside and be thankful for the blessing of your beautiful home. It will all work out.

• frostyfootball

Nidnay, not to trivialize, but just pick something you like. You’ve had many choices, maybe too many. Anywho, pick one and put it up. If you don’t like it, change it in a few years. It’s just a backsplash.

• NewEnglandgal

frostyfootball, JUST backsplash lol ( I say this in fun). Unfortunately some of us (me included) fret over finding the perfect backsplash that will marry all our kitchen elements together. Unless you want simple white subway, it can be a very difficult choice because who wants to pay for it only to take it down a few years later? Not me!

• pink_peony

I can’t agree with Just putting a backsplash up. My builder put the wrong grout/backsplash in and they wouldn’t budge telling me it’s what I chose. After trying to decide on one to switch out immediately when we first moved in I decided to wait and and live with what they put in planning on doing it later. Well here I am a year later and the cost of doing it because drywall will be involved etc is even more , the mess involved, the risk of damaging cabinet and counter.....etc. Nidnay you are smart to wait for “the one”. It will happen when you least expect it. As far as your yard that stinks. I’ve avoided that because we simply haven’t touched ours LOL!

• ladma

Just don’t be like me, I have the 4” corian backsplash, and 25 years later have yet to find the one that works. I’ve decided it a look. :)

• NewEnglandgal

I posted a thread of my own to get ideas/help for backsplash. Hope Beth and others will chine in with suggestions for color and kinds of tile to try. You know I LOVE color. I am also looking for idea for over my cooktop. Please feel free to come over and give me ideas and suggestions!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5758047/help-with-backsplash-please#24394338

I understand Nidnay's trouble finding the perfect backsplash. I have been "looking" for over 6 months just for ideas. I am hoping by narrowing it down to some once my counters are put in, I can make that decision with a narrowed down handful. When there are so many beautiful tiles out there it really is hard to pick that perfect tile!

Pink I am so sorry you have to go through this. Your home is so beautiful. I have no doubt with your great taste you will pick a gorgeous tile that enhances the look of your kitchen. Have you found that perfect tile yet?

• Laura Mac

BETH!!! Your kitchen is looking FAB!!! Great job on everything! Love your new black windows....

• Michelle

Hello Nidnay- saw this kitchen’s backsplash and thought of yours! Think it would be lovely in yours.

http://www.jacquelynclark.com/2019/01/15/dream-kitchen/

• nidnay

Hey Beth....I know you’re out there somewhere. I’m getting a little antsy. How are things progressing in your kitchen??

Flo Mangan

Nidnay, that kitchen just posted has a backsplash that is right up your alley I believe. It has texture but isn't crazy and it is so pretty in the white kitchen. No source though, but we can find it I'm sure. If you think it has potential. I know you have been buried (not literally I hope) in your yard, but to get the backsplash done before the holidays you best shake a leg. lol. Hope this finds you well and getting your new landscape team in place and lined out!

Design Interior South

Oh I like that one too!

• mark_rachel

I've been gone for a bit & I can't believe you haven't picked a backsplash yet.

• lucky998877

I don't comment but I definitely follow this...can't wait to see what you pick! And Beth also.

• patrcia48

nidnay...just checking on you and your family. Looks like news reports have Dorian hitting North Carolina. I was pretty sure I remembered that you lived in either North or South Carolina. Hope all is well. Be safe.

• nidnay

Thanks Patricia.....we are all good here....far away from the coast. Not a drop of rain or anything else for that matter.

• patrcia48

Yeah ! Good to hear.

• Laura Mac

Finally getting in a quick peak after some long, busy months away from Houzz.... Miss all you girls and the tips, helpful hints, discussions and inspiration!

NIDAY - where are you on your backsplash? Anything striking your fancy? (I still a fan of a simple, beautiful marble to keep it timeless... ;-0)

BETH - where are you on your backsplash, counter and kitchen? Love your new handles, wow! Can't wait to see your counters! George better come through for you. If not, I'd fly to Italy with you to find the owner in person ;-) (Ready for a little vacay)...

Have a great day everyone!

Beth H. :

laura,,,look over at the Stacked Cabinets post. i've posted many updated pictures. right now houzz won't upload personal pics unless you resize them? and even then it's hit or miss. PIAHave no idea why they keep screwing w/this site. lets see if this loads

still no splash decision yet. been working on the adjoining rooms and getting them painted.

Flo Mangan

Looking good for sure!!! Love that console under the leopard. Stunning. Did you refurbish it?

• frostyfootball

@Beth H. :have you seen the Game/app Design Home? Daily rooms to decorate with Furnishings inventory from designers. many pieces you post are in the inventory

• Molly

That sounds interesting frosty.

Beth H. :

thx frosty. i'll check it out,,,is it the Ikea one for free? or another one?

• wmsimons85

Nidnay, just wanted to wish you and your family and all of the Houzz family here a Merry Christmas and a happy healthy New Year. Hope you have a wonderful time in the Smokies and you won’t get too much sympathy from me when you have to return to your gorgeous home. :)

• wmsimons85

Beth wow your home is gorgeous too! Merry Christmas! :)

• shwshw

Nidnay, wishing you a new backsplash for Christmas! Ho Ho Ho

• frostyfootball

Not Ikea @Beth H. :this one

• Laura Mac

@Beth H. :Love your kitchen! Are you loving it? Do you like your quartz perimeter? So happy for you! The floors are the bomb! I'm ready to start....soon....

Beth H. :

Laura,,,yes. I do love it. now, if I could just finalize a backsplash..... I have some samples coming in from Tilebar. they got a new marble one in and I'm curious of how it might look.

Let me know when you want to go counter shopping! I've seen everything.

• mtpo

Nidnay, I absolutely love everything you’ve done in your house; it’s one of the nicest I’ve ever seen. I’m in the midst of building now (under roof - now being wired) and all the showrooms in my area have closed due to COVID-19. I posted a new post under “Building” and “Kitchens” and “Design Dilemma.” I’ll be adding posts and questions. If you have time to make comments, I’d greatly appreciate your advice! BTW, did you ever figure out what to do for your backsplash? Except for over my cooktop, I’d actually prefer no backsplash at all but that’s not a practical solution, I guess.