0

It’s finally backsplash time!

nidnay
last modified: January 14, 2019

KITCHEN

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

SCULLERY/PANTRY

6 - Misc · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

Just finished up a new build (actually almost 6 months ago) and I finally found a tiler who I know and trust will do a great job (good tilers are not easy to come by).

I need splashes in two places...the main kitchen and our pantry/scullery. Here is a link to our new build which has photos of both these spaces. It will also give a feel for the entire house.

I don’t know what my style is. As you can see I have a white kitchen but I do not want a white subway tile backsplash. I need some contrast, but not too much. The perimeter counters are marble (honed Bianco Avion) and are very subtle. They are more of a creamy white with no gray in them and the veining is more beige. The island top is walnut. The walls are SW Useful Gray. I am afraid to commit to a color because I will then be stuck with it. I like bluish greens....maybe. I like herringbone but NOT chevron. Subway is fine but not the typical white subway. I like the look of bumpy lumpy handmade tiles. I do not like thin linear tiles. I am seriously considering doing a different tile behind the range even though many don’t like them....I actually do like them. I plan on going all the way up to the crown molding. I am questioning whether or not to do the wall with the triple window or just leave it the way it is.

The scullery/pantry is a workspace and very busy looking...lots of machines and dry goods on the shelves. Walls are SW Uncertain Gray (but they truly look blue to my eyes) and the cabinets are Amazing gray (which really looks beigeish to me). I really think they name all these paints “gray” just to sell them because everyone seems to want gray paint these days. The counters are wood...oiled maple.

I don’t want things to look too formal and fussy, although I’ve seen some gorgeous tiles that are a bit more elegant. I like to mix the feel up with relaxed and some more elegant touches.

I truly need help. I am dreading going to the tile store and dragging home samples.

Here is the stone we have on our fireplace in the adjoining greatroom that is opposite the kitchen.....

6 - Misc · More Info

• niccidhg
    I LOVE , love, love how the New Ravenna squares ( for all over ) look with the #3 water jet ( for behind stove) ! The colors look like they meld perfectly and are the same material . Are they ? I think that combination would be fabulous - the matte finish and texture of the “old world” look combined with the polish and elegance at the center. I think each balances the other- the best of both worlds so-to-speak. ( I don’t so much care for the larger, oblong brick though - at least not in this small sample picture.) —- I think #3 is beautiful - pretty but subtle pattern, soft colors but still with an array of hues. That pattern looks classic to me. I think the combination of the very natural marble , together, with the refined and polished version of marble would be WONDERFUL and so interesting. How do you like that idea, Nidnay ?
  • nidnay thanked wmsimons85
  • niccidhg
    Meant to add picture - so wonderful together imo.
  • wmsimons85

Probably a bit boring for you and another French range that is probably turning my head again haha. But think this is pretty but is simple.

• nidnay

niccidhg.....that’s why I put the two of them together, because I loved the look of the bumpy old world tile and the other classic one. I would LOVE to use them both, but I think the bumpy one is too white for the counter and the veining on it is all gray with no beige. Even thought it looks good with the large water jet (colors blend well), on its own next to the counter it clashes (I think). I have to scrutinize it in daylight. The two together make such an interesting and unique look....right up my alley. The color is the issue. I will examine tomorrow.

• niccidhg
    I like the Jardin de Giverny Tile Wmsimons posted . I had posted that one a while back, too. It doesn’t seem to have as much depth of color as #3 ( but that could just be the screen. When I posted it, I had thought of it as more of an overall look. It would, however give a more prominent circle look - hmmm ? Was that your thought, Wmsimons ( for overall ) ?
  • nidnay

wmsimons85.....haha....I think you are definitely being influenced by that gorgeous range. Simple brick pattern I don’t think will cut it (although in marble it adds a lot more character to my eyes)

• niccidhg
    That is so exciting to me. Can’t wait to see what you think after more thought and scrutiny in daylight. One thing about the more white in that tile , which is different than JUST more white , is that it has so much great texture. The nuanced shadows and the smaller size is a whole different thing than a mostly white, but flat , larger tile would be.
  • nidnay

wmsimons....I do like this one you posted.....beautiful.

Flo Mangan
    That one is beautiful. I have seen it at the showroom. It would look great because it is bold pattern but subtle stone colors. Might work for behind range if the sizing worked out.
  • wmsimons85

Not posting photos again!!

I think that backsplash above the French range is marble. That one does remind me of 3 but maybe a bit more uniform. Sorry Nicci didn’t see where you posted it. The other two Ravenna’s were probably posted as well.

Nicci it could work for all over because it maybe could be cut smaller areas easier but did visualize it just behind the range that Nidnay mentioned and maybe something solid without pattern in the rest of the kitchen?
    I have been down a rabbit hole really because of this thread and found a few images that don’t rival your kitchen but are beautiful nonetheless. The first one is a bit elaborate but they all have simple backsplashes. The last one reminds of your kitchen Nidnay just wanted to post it for fun.. Cant hardly make out the backsplash at all. Haha . Really all of them I’m posting for fun. :)

• suzyq53

Don't know if you saw this aqua glazed brick from Arto. It is terra cotta but doesn's look so muddy in aqua. I like it for your scullery. Doesn't look like it has to be grouted either; at least it doesn't look like it is in this picture.

• nidnay

Wmsimons....ugh....no photos posted. Houzz is driving me crazy.

• wmsimons85

I will try one at a time. Something is going on!

• wmsimons85

Houzz must be improving again because it is not allowing me to post photos. Those two I tried numerous times to get them posted but will no longer work. Will try again in a little while.

• niccidhg
    Wmsimons , absolutely no need for “sorry” , for heaven’s sake, I meant it more as a “ look at that , in a long thread - some of those same ones that are so pretty resurface, because they are deemed as post worthy by more than one person” haha. —- And yes, Nidnay, I did have an inkling of your intent in bringing that one home and placing them side- by -side. I just didn’t know how you LIKED them together, thus my strong statement of enthusiasm :))) .
  • nidnay
    wmsimons....Houzz has always been horrible but the latest update has made things worse than ever. But I have no problem posting photos for some reason. I’m usually on my iPhone or iPad and only add photos from my browser either directly while in the thread or add them to an ideabook and then post them as a Houzz photo (I never post them or add them to ideabooks through the app...just browser).
  • wmsimons85

They must be working on it intermittently!

• wmsimons85

This one may be less pretty than yours but so reminded me of your kitchen Nidnay.

• Molly

What about a more angled herringbone in the scullery? Just posting for the layout.

• ljptwt7
    Nidnay, I like the one you posted today that you said was similar to the body parts tile. Is it still a possibility? Pair it with something?
    Teal in the scullery would be beautiful if it goes with your counters. (My favorite color so I'm biased...)
  • niccidhg
    Have you looked at any limestone wall tile at your tile store ? There might be something in that material that would give the old world contrast for your field tile in a size, color and surface texture you would like. —- Sending this , not for the specific tile but, just as an example of the look.
  • tartanmeup

Really love the New Ravenna Jardins français wmsimmons and niccidhg posted. Subtly elegant. The idea of limestone might be interesting as well. The second pic and its close-up remind me of the discontinued bumpy New Ravenna you were initially drawn to, nidnay.

• niccidhg
    Just putting a completely different idea out here —- this would be very rustic , but could also be really stunning and interesting. I understand if it is just too afar from your current direction , but maybe you could use the same stone veneer as your fireplace stone and have it installed with extreme over- grouting like the photo below. You could still have a panel of marble behind the stove , but the rest of the wall would look like a stone wall since it is just on the back wall.
  • daneejela

Your kitchen is absolutely stunning!

• wmsimons85

I had a post that was showing last night now it has disappeared! Think Houzz has a hit job out for me. Don’t blame them really. Lol

But I agreed with ljptwt7 and said those tiles you found are pretty.

Interesting idea Nicci about stone walls. It would take it in more of a rustic direction as you said but maybe more authentic than brick because the house is made of stone. I had stone walls in my previous old house.

• wmsimons85

No photos again!!

• Cheryl Hannebauer

ws -photo now showing for me..

Flo Mangan
    Have you rejected a basket weave?
    NorstoneUSA

Stacked stone could also completely transform your room! Our natural stone veneers come in all sorts of varieties. Check out our examples on our site for inspiration! https://www.norstoneusa.com/

Flo Mangan
    Oh my goodness. I found a great tile for you! I think it has all the qualities you are looking for. I ran across it looking for something else. Figures. It has the touch of blue, slightly textured surface and subtle styling. I couldn’t get link to post but here it is the name. Mediterratile.com. Alicatado Lanza Mosaic. You would need sample of course to check colors.
    Flo Mangan
    Here is kitchen with that backsplash.
    Flo Mangan
    These darn pictures aren’t posting right!
  • ladma
    Flo, I see the tile pics in both posts. Its pretty.
  • wmsimons85

Now it’s not even allowing me to post text. :( Will try again individually. They really are trying to get rid of me!

Copied and Pasted

Those are so pretty Flo. Had a look at that site and it’s great. Here are a few more. I absolutely love the first ones, they appear to be handmade, they are authentic and French to me.

• wmsimons85

Nope won’t allow me to post the photos. :(. Will try later if I can.

• tartanmeup

Wow, Flo, I would never have guessed the kitchen you posted has that Mediterra tile you posted. It looks so subtle on the wall. Almost looks like wallpaper in the kitchen pic.

• wmsimons85

It worked. This thread is causing me to be very determined or maybe hard headed. :)

• pink_peony

Flo i love love love that tile!

also think the one Ws posted is really pretty.

Flo Mangan
    I love it too. I think it would look amazing. Subtle but interesting from afar and up close really gorgeous. It is “the one” for me. So we will see what Nidnay thinks.
  • houssaon

Love the Alicatado Lanza tile. Depending on the colors, the pattern looks quite different.