0
nidnay

It’s finally backsplash time!

nidnay
last modified: January 14, 2019

KITCHEN

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

SCULLERY/PANTRY

6 - Misc · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

1 - New Build in Process... · More Info

Just finished up a new build (actually almost 6 months ago) and I finally found a tiler who I know and trust will do a great job (good tilers are not easy to come by).

I need splashes in two places...the main kitchen and our pantry/scullery. Here is a link to our new build which has photos of both these spaces. It will also give a feel for the entire house.

I don’t know what my style is. As you can see I have a white kitchen but I do not want a white subway tile backsplash. I need some contrast, but not too much. The perimeter counters are marble (honed Bianco Avion) and are very subtle. They are more of a creamy white with no gray in them and the veining is more beige. The island top is walnut. The walls are SW Useful Gray. I am afraid to commit to a color because I will then be stuck with it. I like bluish greens....maybe. I like herringbone but NOT chevron. Subway is fine but not the typical white subway. I like the look of bumpy lumpy handmade tiles. I do not like thin linear tiles. I am seriously considering doing a different tile behind the range even though many don’t like them....I actually do like them. I plan on going all the way up to the crown molding. I am questioning whether or not to do the wall with the triple window or just leave it the way it is.

The scullery/pantry is a workspace and very busy looking...lots of machines and dry goods on the shelves. Walls are SW Uncertain Gray (but they truly look blue to my eyes) and the cabinets are Amazing gray (which really looks beigeish to me). I really think they name all these paints “gray” just to sell them because everyone seems to want gray paint these days. The counters are wood...oiled maple.

I don’t want things to look too formal and fussy, although I’ve seen some gorgeous tiles that are a bit more elegant. I like to mix the feel up with relaxed and some more elegant touches.

I truly need help. I am dreading going to the tile store and dragging home samples.

Here is the stone we have on our fireplace in the adjoining greatroom that is opposite the kitchen.....

6 - Misc · More Info

• wmsimons85

No photos again!!

• Cheryl Hannebauer

ws -photo now showing for me..

Flo Mangan
    Have you rejected a basket weave?
    NorstoneUSA

Stacked stone could also completely transform your room! Our natural stone veneers come in all sorts of varieties. Check out our examples on our site for inspiration! https://www.norstoneusa.com/

Flo Mangan
    Oh my goodness. I found a great tile for you! I think it has all the qualities you are looking for. I ran across it looking for something else. Figures. It has the touch of blue, slightly textured surface and subtle styling. I couldn’t get link to post but here it is the name. Mediterratile.com. Alicatado Lanza Mosaic. You would need sample of course to check colors.
    Flo Mangan
    Here is kitchen with that backsplash.
    Flo Mangan
    These darn pictures aren’t posting right!
  • ladma
    Flo, I see the tile pics in both posts. Its pretty.
  • wmsimons85

Now it’s not even allowing me to post text. :( Will try again individually. They really are trying to get rid of me!

Copied and Pasted

Those are so pretty Flo. Had a look at that site and it’s great. Here are a few more. I absolutely love the first ones, they appear to be handmade, they are authentic and French to me.

• wmsimons85

Nope won’t allow me to post the photos. :(. Will try later if I can.

• tartanmeup

Wow, Flo, I would never have guessed the kitchen you posted has that Mediterra tile you posted. It looks so subtle on the wall. Almost looks like wallpaper in the kitchen pic.

• wmsimons85

It worked. This thread is causing me to be very determined or maybe hard headed. :)

• pink_peony

Flo i love love love that tile!

also think the one Ws posted is really pretty.

Flo Mangan
    I love it too. I think it would look amazing. Subtle but interesting from afar and up close really gorgeous. It is “the one” for me. So we will see what Nidnay thinks.
  • houssaon

Love the Alicatado Lanza tile. Depending on the colors, the pattern looks quite different.

• Michelle
    Nidnay- I came upon your threads last night and I was and am just in heaven! Your home is absolutely beautiful and inspiring. Everyone’s help is inspiring too. Good luck on your backsplash search! It will turn out great!
  • Michelle
    Maybe something like this for your kitchen... love the texture and color, without the black
  • Tina Moore
    While I think those tiles with texture r stunning, I can’t imagine having to clean them with all the food splatters especially around the cooktop.
    Beth H. :

that's a valid point Tina. I currently have a carved border tile (listillo I believe) out of tumbled marble and it's a royal pain to keep clean.

Flo Mangan
    Totally agree.
    Beth H. :

Nid, don't know if you saw the Paul Schatz collection at New Ravenna. I like this one:

Here's the 'curvy lady' option you were looking at earlier.

love this one too. I think it's Walker Zanger

and the marble and MOP. can't go wrong w/this combo.

nidnay thanked Beth H. :
  • nidnay

Thanks Beth....ha....and thanks for not giving up on me. I really needed a breather. I just today started looking through some of my favorites again.

Flo Mangan
    I figured you needed a break. For convenience, i am sending these along to you. Depending on the true colors, could be a real perfect blend of color, design and texture.
    nidnay thanked Flo Mangan
  • kariyava

I like slightly warmer tones for your backsplash and I ran across some onyx tiles that I think could be beautiful for your space. Obviously you would need to get samples to see if they work.

nidnay thanked kariyava
    Beth H. :

nid,,,was at the tile store today and saw these.

• pink_peony

Have we seen this before Nidnay? Thought the hint of blue was so pretty and loved the hand made look of them.

Beth H. :

looks like the CleTile, Zellige, or the glazed earthenware. yes, I've posted pics of that tile

• ILoveRed

Link please to the one above by pink peony? Thanks!

Beth H. :

lovered,,CleTile. same as the hex I posted. the one in the kitchen are 2x2. either the Zellige or the glazed Earthenware.

• niccidhg
    Hi, Nidnay. I just saw this picture of tile ( in a laundry room ) which I thought might be something to check out for your kitchen backsplash. I thought that the color, “Celadon” in this picture , and the texture were so pretty. After looking further I found it is from Fine Art Tileworks. They make handmade and hand glazed relief tiles. On their site I saw subways ( see pics. below ) and that they have 34 colors from which to choose. I thought you might like to take a look.
  • niccidhg
    Here are a few examples of other colors. ( disregard patterns ) I think the Eucalyptus looks like it might have a blue/green hue. Also, as stated , the Celadon, Stonehenge, and Taupe might be considerations. Not sure if one can order samples, but you could contact them if it is something you like.
  • tartanmeup

Very nice, niccidhg. Love the light play on the glaze. Would be stunning in a light-filled kitchen like nidnay's!

• nidnay
    Niccidhg.....oooh...that is pretty. I’m outside now tilling my garden beds....will post later :). I’m finally getting some long needed exercise in the fresh air!
    Flo Mangan
    Are any deer watching you?! Lol
  • ILoveRed

Nidnay...yesterday morning, there were 6 deer in my neighbors front yard. All young..hope you are enjoying yourself. Ps..I’m still backsplashless as well!

• pink_peony

Did you get any snow yesterday Nidnay? Crazy weather as usual. It has been so nice and i got up to go to DMV. Got there 30 minutes early only to be 18th in line . That 30 minutes i had to wait outside. Silly me only had on cuffed jeans , flat slip ons a cotton blouse and a thing cotton fashion like jacket. It started to lightly snow!!!! Which went to rain to snow to rain. Today it’s 68 sunny and all kinds of pleasant and wonderful out!

Flo Mangan

Deer don't like lantana and anything with rough surfaces. They LOVE pansies. Ask me how I know! lol

• nidnay
    Flo....I don’t know if the deer are watching me, but I’m pretty sure they have an eye on all my plants! I’m keeping my fingers crossed but I am assuming I will have to do some fencing if I want to be able to have a nice perennial garden. I’ve already determined that I will have to do a completely fenced in vegetable garden if I want to keep my sanity.

ILoveRed.....do you think we need counseling for our little backsplash problem?

Pink....yea....it snowed for about 5 minutes. Weather is definitely crazy but oh how I am loving the warm weather when it comes! I’m already sunburn from being outside. I’ve been rototilling for hours today. It’s great exercise! You must have been FREEZING at the DMV. I always keep a sweatshirt in my car at all times. Comes in handy even during the summer because so many of the restaurants around here keep their AC blasting for their wait staff. I always have to cover myself.
  • ladma
    I gave up on my vegetable garden, I couldn’t fight the deer any longer. 6 in the back yard this morning. A neighbor of mine has an electric fence around her garden. She didn’t put in the 5’ high one like another neighbor, it’s only knee high. She puts strips of tin foil, painted with peanut butter, along the wire. The deer lick the peanut butter, get a little zap, and then apparently tell their friends, “ don’t go to J’s garden, her garden bites! “ They then go and jump over the 5’ high fence and feast there.
  • nidnay

I’d like to do something like this with smaller mesh towards the bottom to keep out baby rabbits.

Flo Mangan
    Ladma!! Laughing my rear off!!!! Yep. I gave up too. If it wasn’t the deer, it was bunnies, if not bunnies, squirrels and on and on.
    Flo Mangan
    That is awesome. Need mesh top too.
  • ladma
    Nidnay, that would work. It’s attractive, too
    Flo Mangan
    I know you are in the garden, but saw these new backsplash tiles today and thought you might like.
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center

Have you thought about marble looking quartz as a backsplash? Depending on a variety you choose, it can balance your space or you could get a subtle movement and flow. It's very durable and you wouldn't have to worry about grout.

• nidnay
    Thanks Aqua.....but I am not a fan of quartz....especially those made to look like marble. And with a real marble counter, the faux marble backsplash would not really be a good look.
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath

Carrara Gold Marble would be such a great choice for your kitchen. Their white crystalline background passed through by elegant golden veins gives them amazing look. You can find them in various sizes and shapes.