0

Share your YELLOW Roses

sara_ann-z6bok
last modified: January 22, 2019

Here's a few of my yellow roses. Please share your beauties!

SUNSPRITE - One of my favorite roses, love the fragrance

LEMON SPICE - This is a beautiful rose, and the scent lives up to its name

JULIA CHILD - I've had this one through eight seasons, it showed more improvement in 2018 than it has in several years, I always love it when it gives a nice display and definitely enjoy seeing Nanadoll's and others who grow it so beautifully!

BEROLINA - When this one starts giving me consistently pretty blooms I'll like it a lot more, love it at its best

GOLD MEDAL - I planted this one in 2018 and it did not disappoint, bloomed prolifically the whole season. It also proved to me that the same rose does not always perform the same, I had tried this one twice before without much luck. This one is on multiflora, maybe that's the difference.

PEACE has enough yellow that I'll include it here, I love this rose!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Danae, is a really pretty rose

• erasmus_gw

Danae is bs resistant and repeats well in part shade. I can't find my whole plant pic of it. Mine sprawled through several other roses and had kind of lax, flexible canes. It would be good on a fence I think.

• jazzmom516 (Zone7 LI, NY)

Pictures are on my other computer, I have Julia Child & Easter Basket. I had Molineux but sold it (too much blackspot). Reliable performers in my garden.

• Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

What a cheerful thread!! And count me in on needing Easter basket ! Wow. Great pics everyone!!

Moonlight romantica : love this one

Roald Dahl

Teasing Georgia, my first rose here in this garden and I love it

Molineux

I have more but too a sleep aid and now I’ll have to come back

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
  • a1an

Loving that Julia Child pic. Anyone have Tupelo Honey ?

They offer Julia Child in treeform. Decisions, decisons. JC or Molineux

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Lilyfinch, I have wanted a Moonlight Romantica for a while now. It really is a beautiful rose. I will have to find a home for one in my yard.

How tall has yours grown?

• erasmus_gw

Here's Carefree Sunshine. Mine's in a lot of shade and looks kind of wild there.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked erasmus_gw
  • vaporvac

OOh! I like that! It's so sweet with its big boss of stamens and semi-double flowers.

• erasmus_gw

Here's Allister Stella Grey which is part yellow. See the flower in the foreground..blooms are often like that, half yellow. It's another healthy one with great vigor and rebloom.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked erasmus_gw
  • Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    Erasmus, I like your allister stella gray! pretty! I love how much variability there is in color and form all in one rose bush!
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Mermaid

The Poet's Wife

Marechal Neil

Teasing Georgia

Rosette Delizy in a yellow mood lol

Just for fun..Citrus Sunflowers :D

sara_ann-z6bok thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • Oliver (SF 9A)

Wow love those yellow roses! Your pictures are so beautiful! For golden celebration, does do well under the hot summer sun?

• Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Kristine, first year it got to about 4ft tall ! I really like it a lot !

oh I have always wanted allister Stella grey. So beautiful!!!

Sultry your frogs are ADORABLE!! Lol I’d be afraid always if hurting them , like if you left a glove out or shoes . Great sunflower too !

• erasmus_gw

Have to agree, those frogs are so cute they practically look magical. They make your garden look like a wonderland. They look like they could nap in petals..I bet they do! I love the sunflower pic too.

Souvenir de Victor Hugo Mine's hanging in there through some cold winters.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked erasmus_gw
  • Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    Hi Oliver, I grow golden celebration in hot inland san Diego county 9b and it does quite well. It's a great bloomer here and likes to get big in our heat.
  • Oliver (SF 9A)

Great to know!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Thanks. They do sleep in the roses. They are mostly nocturnal frogs and make quite a racket at night with their lovey dovey frog mating calls lol. Especially if it rains..its deafening.

During the day they are groggy and even let me get very close to photograph them as long as I don't touch them. Sometimes they jump if I use the flash.

They like big fluffy roses to sleep in. They do eat bugs if one gets close to them in the daytime.

During the winter, they hibernate inside rolled up banana or colocasia stems/ leaves or other dark places. In spring, summer, and fall its hard not to take a photo of roses, sometimes, that DON'T have a frog in them lol. They are most partial to big double roses that they can hide/sleep in. Birds etc will try to eat them. Invasive Cuban Tree Frogs will also eat them but luckily we dont have too many of them yet.

Lily, they mostly stay up off the ground. Probably due to the chickens lol. I don't leave any shoes outside here because there are snakes lol. Mostly nice snakes but I have seen a few Timber Rattlesnakes.

~Sjn

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I have heard the lovely Allistar Stella Grey was good in Florida. I keep meaning to get that one. Is it a climber?

SdVH is beautiful. I will have to look it up on hmf!!

• erasmus_gw

I had a nice shrubby Allister S G plant but it came down with RRD. It was about 5x5'. I planted a new one in my front yard and it is about 6.5' tall now and is just getting started. Don't want it to get too wide. I saw a picture of a huge one grown in England against a house. So it can get huge. Sure could be a climber.

I like SdVH but have not treated it as well as I should. It lives in a pot. Might be rooted through the hole by now. It looks like it gets some cold damage here but in FL should be ok. It reblooms well and is really pretty.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Kristine that SDVH is gorgeous! Please tell me it doesn’t have fragrance so I don’t have to add it to the list!

• a1an

I keep on flip flopping on choice between Golden Celebration or Vanessa Bell. Case in point , I've never been a fan of daffidols, cause when I picture them, all I think of is the atypical schoolbus yellow. I do plan to have Julia Child rose. I like the tones of the Golden Celebration but I also like the subtle *white-very light* yellow of the Vanessa Bell.

Ha, the easy answer is to make a larger rose bed so I can get both, but that's not happening.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I don’t have either so I can’t help but I really like the look of VanessaBell.

• a1an

Final yellow survey. How does JC vs. Molineux fare in ur garden. Reblooming, stingy/not so stingy, holds it's petals to the elements.

I sorta decided on the JC treeform vs. Molineux. I then saw the recent WEEKS threads re. RRD so I went 180 degrees and came back to Molineux.

• pippacovalent

Charles Darwin from this summer. It's my only yellow and it's a new plant just planted last summer. I'm so excited for spring!!!

sara_ann-z6bok thanked pippacovalent
  • jazzmom516 (Zone7 LI, NY)

I like JC because it fends off fungal diseases a lot better than Molineux did. By mid July in my area, most of the leaves were off of Molineux & were fine on JC. I took out Molineux & put in its place a Kordes grandiflora called Madame Anisette. That is fragrant & highly disease resistant.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Ohhh ASG is a noisette! I guess I had forgotten that lol. Noisettes do really well here with very little care. I'm definitely getting it!

• marcindy

Everybody has such beautiful yellow cheery roses, the best thing for this polar vortex evening. I can add one picture of a rose I have not yet seen in this thread, White Licorice. It's a quiet rose, but beautifully shaped and nice fresh fragrance. Not 100% BS resistant, but also not terrible. I hide that little flaw by planting rambunctious lilies around it.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked marcindy
  • marcindy

Oh how could I forget Harrison's Yellow? It's a wild thing, big, thorny, but it thrives with little care needed and its blooms appears early and with such abundance, you can't help but smile. I give you Harrison's Yellow:

sara_ann-z6bok thanked marcindy
  • vaporvac

Hi! Good to see you on this thread. I will answer you in a bit when I have a moment by the way. Yes, white licorice! One of my very favorite roses that I don't grow. The scent is amazing, just amazing. I'm glad you showed it. :-)

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    Golden Celebration from my garden yesterday and Alister Stella Gray taken at the Huntington Gardens showing its climbing habit at about 9 feet (3 meters) tall.
    sara_ann-z6bok thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • a1an

I went with Vanessa Bell. Hopefully I made the right call. On the online pics, it was the right yellow for me (white yellow). In the front row of the rose bed, Vanessa will in the middle, flanked by Bosbocel on the right and Mumstead on the left

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

That sounds very pretty

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Sooo many gorgeous yellow roses—thank you for all these beautiful photos! There’s something about yellow roses that just radiates pure joy. They’re sweet sunshine that you can hold in your hands. :-)

• jazzmom516 (Zone7 LI, NY)

Here are 2 photos of the blooms taken in June of last year of 'Julia Child' & 'Easter Basket'.

Julia Child

The 2 photos are of Easter Basket. Notice the pink to yellow shading colors.

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

Here's a few of my yellows to add - Molineaux, Charles Darwin, Teasing Georgia & Crown Princess looking more yellow in a heat wave. She tends to be peachier when it's cooler.

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

A few more - Graham Thomas, Julia Child, Bill Reid & St. Patrick

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada

And a few more - popcorn drift, topaz jewel, crocus rose & strike it rich (which is almost in the orange/apricot category).

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Only have one. Sequoia Gold. Great rose. Under sung hero of my garden. Constantly in bloom even when it is 115 degrees outside and with restricted watering. No disease. No fungal issues in my organic garden.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I’m gonna have to find a home for Crocus Rose. These threads are KILLING me...

• pat_bamaz7

Everyone is posting such beautiful roses! Yellow/yellow blend is probably my favorite rose color. I still have a lot of them even after having to remove so many when I went no spray. I’ll try to narrow down to just my very favorites of the lot.

Of my current yellows, Golden Fairy Tale and Karl Ploberger tie for my favorite…beautiful, fragrant, prolific and oh so bs resistant :D

GFT

KP

Delightful Phyllis was new in 2017. Still young, but a delight so far:

Mitsouko handles the heat of growing in a large pot by our pool. Blackspots some, but not too bad:

South Africa isn’t as fragrant as I would like, but such a bright, cheery and healthy rose:

Tchaikovsky is still young, but I have high hopes for this one:

Well Being blackspots some, but I forgive it…love the fragrance and the red buds that open to such unique form:

Marechal Niel’s blooms often get eaten by bugs or ruined by rain, but when they don’t, they take my breath away:

Perle des Jardins can get ruined by rain, too, but another that’s worth waiting for conditions to her liking:

Etoile de Lyon…short for a tea and a bloom machine:

Etoile de Mai is such a carefree and prolific bloomer, but does fade to white quickly:

Mrs Dudley Cross…is she yellow or is she pink :D

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Pat, I'm noticing the leaf cutter bees handiwork on your Marchael Niel :) MN is the favorite of the leaf cutter bees here. Its the first rose they go for. MN must have especially delicious leaves.

I put up a bee house last year I will have to check and see if they are using it yet.

• pat_bamaz7

SJN, I’ve never paid attention to which roses the leaf cutters start with…will have to watch more closely this year. I really can’t tell them apart from the honeybees except for the “I wuz here” circle notes they leave for me :D

• pippacovalent

Just an fyi, the leaf cutter bees use the leaf bits to build their nests to lay their eggs. They don't eat them, they stuff them in nest tubes. They are excellent pollinators and I'm so jealous of those of you who have them. They adore rose and llilac leaves. They are of the few bees that can successfully live in greenhouses too.

• pippacovalent

I just love this thread it's really reminding me just how lovely yellow roses can be.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Is there a reason you dont have the bees? Is it too cold where you are?

• pippacovalent

No I just never see them in my yard although we tons of other bees.

• Amanda Zone10Socal

Just picked up this mini at food4less for $3.99. I divided up the cuttings and spread them around the yard, we’ll see if it wants to live :) I just love the fat quartered blooms

• jazzmom516 (Zone7 LI, NY)

Amanda, you might have better luck than I did. Your hardiness zone is higher. I had the red striped one & the coral one & it didn’t survive our winter a few years ago.

• Amanda Zone10Socal

yeah I saw people on here posting about growing them and it had never really occurred to me to try. If they start getting huge I’ll have to pull them out, but it would be really fun if they stay low and bloom like that, I would like to have them for arrangements too. My main weather hazard is sunburn, we’ll see how they do with that.