Software
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (14)

  • 7 years ago





  • 7 years ago

    Where are you located?

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago

    Houston area. 9a

  • 7 years ago

    In that case, I wouldn't rule it out.

    ?Other thoughts, guys?


    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    What rose is it ?

    Did you use any herbicide nearby ?

    Its not fiery red, which I usually see .. but the leaves are odd . Is the rest of the plant leafed our nicely ?i feel like I’ve seen roses in early spring leaf out like this then correct themselves. But I can’t find my pics of it .

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 7 years ago

    I am not sure what rose it is, maybe elganatlyn ...I had a few bands from chamblees in this bed, planted in 2015. Some are alive, some dead, this one never bloomed.


    I was cutting down the plants in this bed and noticed odd leaves. Most of the plant is bare.

  • 7 years ago

    And oh, I did not use any weed killer or anything recently, but this is near our fence and neighbors have a bed close by.

  • 7 years ago

    The way RRD presents is an abnormal amount of abnormal growth. What you'll see is all three growth buds -- the center one, and each side bud at each node -- being stimulated to grow, and each grows in an abnormal form. It seems to me that what you have is just the central bud being stimulated -- which is "normal amount -- but the growth emerging is abnormal in form. It seems to be greening up at a normal rate, but this would depend on the particular rose -- many of the old roses don't have red new growth, so even RRD-infected growth in them will be green.


    To my eye, this looks like what's making it look "abnormal" is a kind of stunting from damage, either due to herbicide drift or a cold snap. But you can see it in real-life better than I can via pictures -- do you see all three buds at each node looking equally stimulated to grow? If so, I'd be concerned. If only the central bud at each node is stimulated to grow, but the growth has this abnormal stunted look, I'd lean more to damage -- but still keep an eye on it.


    :-/


    ~Christopher

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • 7 years ago

    Christopher, I am not sure what I would be looking for, and we cut, bagged and threw most of the canes.


    Moses, the plants in this bed have been neglected. I will watch closely and monitor.


    Thanks everyone for your help!

  • 7 years ago

    You're looking for three shoots coming from each node, rather than just one. I can't tell if that was already the case in the pictures.


    :-)


    ~Christopher

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • 7 years ago

    Christopher, I'm going by memory, but the first branch I cut off only had one leaflet from each node. They looked wierd, narrow, pale green. The pic I posted may have had the end of a branch, that one I'm not sure if it had more than one. It had a slight bit of color as well. None of the growth was vigorous. None of the stems are colored anything but green. Sigh...I have no idea what I'm doing.


    I looked up pics of glyphosate damage, and they also look similar.



  • 7 years ago

    Looks more like herbicide than RRD. RRD is usually more succulent and red and vigorous looking

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Ben, its probably weed killer damage. I've seen the lawn maintenance folks come over next doors and spray stuff. Will still watch carefully and the plants need care as I've not done a good job over the past few years for various reasons.


    Is rrd prevelant in houston? Web search brings up Dallas a lot, but that is not too far.