Software
Houzz Logo Print
julie_murray51

White cabinet color, sw pure white or BM simply white

7 years ago
We are painting our dark cabinets white. We have repose gray on the walls. I’m planning on black hardware. I have Viatera Minuet quartz countertop. we had to take out old backsplash but plan to do a similar white subway tile. We have warm wood floors. Kitchen is on the southern side but limited windows and a screened in porch so only gets full light a few hours of the day. Otherwise on the darker side (or maybe that’s the current cabinets). Which white would look best?

Comments (27)

  • 7 years ago

    what color appliance are you installing?

  • 7 years ago
    Those two colors are very, very close. I’d get a sample and see how it looks next to your tile and countertop. Paint a big sample, they tend to look different the bigger they get.
  • 7 years ago
    Our appliances will be stainless steel. I’m thinking of a color like gauntlet gray for the back of the peninsula
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Julie, your counters look great. I love Simply White but testing both whites is the only way to go.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    If you're serious, Prime and sand your cabinets, then decide on white color. until the dark is gone dark will affect all paint samples.


    consider sw HRW. It will pop

  • 7 years ago
    We are hiring someone to paint them. Here’s a picture of the two choices.
  • 7 years ago
    Which one is on the right in the first photo? I like that one. Seriously, these two are almost twins.
  • 7 years ago

    My favorite with your countertop and floors is the alabaster. Have you tried a bigger sample of alabaster?

  • 7 years ago
    Susie- I like alabaster too but that would mean repainting all the trim in my house that is out of the can white. I wasn’t sure if I was up for that in our open concept house with lots of crown molding. Something to consider....

    The one on the right in the first pick is pure white, in person the difference is noticeable but you are right not huge. Simply white has a touch more warmth I think....wasn’t sure if that went with our countertops or not...
  • 7 years ago
    Julie, I don’t know that you’d need to repaint trim unless not matching would make you nuts. I like the look of crisp white trim with a softer white on your cabinets. I used to think that white was so easy to choose until I actually saw how many whites there are. Good luck!
  • 7 years ago





    If you like numbers, here are the color profiles for both colors. They are almost identical.

  • 7 years ago
    I love the dark cabinets! White is so overdone.
  • 7 years ago
    Easy answer is go with what your trim is. If one of the two front runners matches or is close, then choose it. Definitely don’t want to repaint trim, and keeping that consistent is important IMO. I like your countertops and I think either one will work.
  • 7 years ago

    agree with susie: if you're not painting trim, paint cabinets same color as trim, otherwise it will cluster flip.


    If the counters are lighter than SW pure white i would go with that. or High reflective white, if you want the cabinets to pop more than counters. I would stay in the same vendor unless the LRV doesn't work

  • 7 years ago

    Sure would love to see the end result!

  • 7 years ago

    Look for a white which matches the whitest white in your counter material.
    lvl133 suggested that you sand and prime your dark cabinetry before you make your choice on a white paint for the cabinets. I like that idea.
    The room is dark. Turn on all the lights and look at large samples of the paints you are considering next to the counter material. Undertones can make whites clash.
    The color and tone of your kitchen lighting bulbs can also affect the way whites look in the room.

  • 7 years ago

    Looks great!!!

  • 7 years ago

    Julie, your kitchen looks great!

  • 7 years ago

    WOW! Thanks Julie! Lookin' good :)

  • 7 years ago

    It might be safer to go with a white with a grayish tinge..so there will be no chance of any clash with your other whites

  • 7 years ago

    Hi Julie, we’re thinking about using Pure White as well, going from espresso cabinets, how are you guys liking your choice?

  • 6 years ago

    The trim in our home that we purchased 18 months ago is a very white - even sterile. As much as I'd like to repaint all the trim, it is just too costly. Tons of trim in this house. We are beginning a total kitchen remodel in 2 weeks. We getting rid of our dated mid-brown-stained wood cabinets and definitely are going with white cabinets, but choosing the right white has driven us crazy. I've had 2 decorators (both rated very high on Houzz) come to the house and give their thoughts on cabinet color. One suggested Alabaster, the other said White Dove. Our cabinet maker just made a sample door for us in the White Dove. (To be fair, it is his match for White Dove, so I can't confirm it is exact at all.) We LOVE the White Dove with our sterile white cabinets. It just warms up the whites but doesn't look like we made a mistake trying to match the whites. They actually work well together, in our opinion. 'Can't wait to see it all pull together!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Painting kitchen cabinets from maple to SW pure white semi gloss. For anyone who used this color, did u top coat? Some places i read says top coat is a must for chipping and paint protection and some places it says NO as it will cause yellowing. Any recommendations so the paint is durable without chipping and yellowing.
    @Julie, how are your cabinets holding up after painting?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Julie what tile and counters are these? looks great

  • 5 years ago

    We chose viatera minuet quartz countertop from home depot and home depot’s white subway tile in the longer style. The painted cabinets have held up really well. My kids have hit them hard a few times putting dishes away, so they have chipped in those spots and we have touched up. However, the paint has held up well everywhere else. We are very happy with it and so glad we went white. Also, ours have not yellowed at all.

  • 4 years ago

    I used a water based top coat on sw extra white painted cabinets. Now it’s 4 years later and they are super yellowed.