Software
Houzz Logo Print
samscrib

Pattern Challenged

13 years ago
Hoping for some style advice. This room needs a rug, and I don't know how to match with these chairs. I thought about small navy pillows for the chairs & the chair colors are maroon & gold. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would go with a neutral tone on tone sculptured rug, almost off white in color. The chairs are beautiful but they are reading pretty close in color to the hardwoods. I think breaking them up with the same color as on the dining chairs would really set them off. I think the navy pillows would be excellent and tie the art in the dining room into the living room. Maybe add a small table in between the chairs and use blue accessories as well. I would also add a floral as a centerpiece in the dining room that is the color of the chairs. It will just help to tie the combined rooms together.
    Samantha Elms thanked Center Stage Design
  • 13 years ago
    Not sure if you like a modern look, but this rug from Crate & Barrel picks up on your wall and chair colors, and navy pillows would certainly work nicely with this color combo. I also like how the pattern of the rug is similar to the one on your chairs, only on a slightly larger scale.
    Samantha Elms thanked karemore55
  • 13 years ago
    Planning on putting this table between chairs. Thank you so much for the help!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    love that table. I really like the rug that karemore suggested but I am just afraid that there would be a LOT of pattern going on. Might be too much for the eye to take in.
  • 13 years ago
    You need a bold color and design to set off the two chairs. There are a lot of contemporary rugs on overstock.com, rugstudio.com, rugsusa.com, and wayfair.com These are just some examples
    Samantha Elms thanked Nancy Walton
  • 13 years ago
    Or here is a more traditional rug from Pottery Barn. Also picks up on swirly pattern of your chairs. Navy pillows would not look right though. You would have to pull a different color from the rug for your pillow color.
  • 13 years ago
    How about this one, also from Crate & Barrel? Still too much pattern? With this rug, you could go back to your idea of navy accent pillows.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I really like that one, but I am just scared about mixing such strong patterns... Look for a tone on tone one
  • 13 years ago
    If you're thinking about navy pillows... a rug with navy in it?

    Cotton Velvet Pillow Cover, Navy Blue by Woody Liana · More Info

    Navy Blue Kashmar Rug · More Info


    Lacefield Designs Navy Blue Linen Jute Hampton Trim Lumbar Pillow · More Info

    Handmade Luna Moroccan Trellis Navy Wool Rug · More Info
    Samantha Elms thanked Carolina
  • 13 years ago
    I think your room could handle the pattern of the striped rug with the chairs. There isn't a lot of other pattern going on in your space, so I think it would be a clean look. I feel it's important to bring in some more red or the chairs will look a little out of place. Is it color or pattern you're worried about?
  • 13 years ago
    We just started working on this room after having the hardwood flooring installed. What you see is basically the whole room; it is a living/dining room. Thank you so much for the comments so far. They are really helping.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You chairs need a rug that mimics the two shades. This one will do it. Navy is great for an accent.

    Navy Greek Key Bolster Pillow · More Info
    Cadiz Rug, Red · More Info
    Samantha Elms thanked elcieg
  • 13 years ago
    I love carolins suggestions either would look great depending on whether or not you want something traditional or more modern.